TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
missmolly Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Teigan

How do i make her realise its serious? - August 31st 2011, 11:46 AM

Im not really sure where to start so im just gona throw it out there..

I am a self harmer, and my family doesnt know..

My old step mum always makes jokes about self harm, like says things like "remember to cut down the wrist not across if you want to die" or "down the rail road not across" or " Gonna go kill myself now, slit my wrists" , and all that kind of stuff. She has no idea that i self harm and i have no intention of her finding out. But it really gets to me when she says these things, she has no respect that people actually do self harm and acts like its all a big joke, i want to scream at her and tell her its a serious issue and she shouldnt make jokes about it, but she would get so mad

I dont know what to do.. If i say something it might be too obvious that im a self harmer.. but it really gets to me what she is doing..

"When you feel like giving up, remember why you held on for so long in the first place"

(#2 (permalink)) Old
bailatyvm Offline
bada bing bada boom.
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Faith

Re: How do i make her realise its serious? - August 31st 2011, 07:18 PM

Maybe you could tell her something along the lines of 'People DO die from it, and I don't think that's very funny.'? Something simple, that gets the point across. I know how it is when people joke about it; usually I'll just not laugh, not caring if anyone finds it strange. I don't find it funny, and I'm not going to pretend that I do. You just have to get her to understand your view on it.

--
searching for myself...
and hugs. mostly hugs.
--

(#3 (permalink)) Old
smiles07x Offline
Not a n00b

Re: How do i make her realise its serious? - September 11th 2011, 03:39 AM

yeahh..today my brother was talking about this girl..saying "oh i think she cuts herself now because she wears all black and a leather bracelet." I said nothing first but then i was like "stop..dont say that." Because everyone thinks i don't..when i do. i wear the brightest colors too. people just assume things based on appearances. I act one way with people so they don't suspect things and when I'm not that happy and just blah but it bothered me when he said this because if i were to say anything to him about me SHing i would wonder if he would judge me. He is my brother and i don't want to be a bad role model but like it did bother me..i also then just changed the subject.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
TheCrowing Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Courtney

Re: How do i make her realise its serious? - September 11th 2011, 04:43 PM

You really should say something. Saying something won't necessarily make you a target or make her suspicious. It's perfectly natural to stand up for your beliefs, and you believe that what she's saying is wrong. When my friends make comments (they don't know I used to struggle with it), I don't laugh and I tell them "Don't say that. It's not funny." and if they ask what my problem is, I reply with something like "You don't know what people go through, and you don't know what drives someone to do that to themselves. So until you know, I rather you not say those things." That's the only way people stop. When you rightfully confront the issue.

"Although only breath, words which I command are immortal." Sappho

"Sometimes I feel nothing at all. Sometimes I feel everything is my fault.
Sometimes I feel the hate break my mind. Sometimes I feel they deserve it this time.
May the bridges I burn light my way." - I, Alone - Otep

Closed Thread