TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
chemicalkid Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Question auto-erotic asphyxiation - September 2nd 2011, 01:36 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering by the original poster or by a Moderator. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

I've just joined here, Need help .I've kept on doing things to myself and I don't know why. I cut myself, each time seeming to do it deeper so it hurts for longer. I hit and punch myself, I done it so much I gave myself bruises around my eye and had to tell my mum that I tripped and fell, I constanly hit and scratch myself. All of those things scared my because I enjoy them, and I don't want to stop. Lately I've started suffocating myself, I tie things around my neck, or cover my mouth with something so I can't breath. I can't even explain how wonderful the feeling is. I know I could die doing it, so why do I want to do it more. I'm already on 40 grams of citalopram and in therapy and I can't seem to stop doing this to myself.

Last edited by Riddikulus; September 2nd 2011 at 02:11 PM. Reason: Triggering

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Peri Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Faye

Re: auto-erotic asphyxiation - September 3rd 2011, 12:35 PM

Welcome to TeenHelp.

Self harming can be addictive because it releases feel-good hormones, and people may use that as a way of dealing with how they feel. The most effective thing to do with regards to stopping self harm is to replace harmful behaviours with more positive ones, such as writing in a journal/diary. There is a list of alternative coping skills in this sub-forum, located right at the top of the board, which might help you. There is also the First Aid thread, which is worth a look.

You mentioned that you were in therapy -- is it helping at all? Does your therapist know the extent of your self harming?

Please take care.

Closed Thread