TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
bigBN2010 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Brandon

What is so addicting..... - September 5th 2011, 12:42 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of self harm, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

I wanna know what people think about self harm, like why is the pain so addicting? I mean hurt myself for a long while now with cutting, burring, freezing with an upside air can, and all those other good things but like when i burn myself with a knife and a lighter and it hurts so bad holding the hot blade to my skin but once i take it off its like i just get this intense desire to do it again even through the pain. And like where does the high come from that you feel that makes you want to do it again

(#2 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Madeleine Claire

Re: What is so addicting..... - September 5th 2011, 01:37 AM

When you hurt yourself it releases endorphins. It gives you a rush and all your body knows is that it likes it and it wants more.
To certain people pain is something that feels amazing because their body likes it.
I don't know the exact science behind it but I'm sure Google would be your friend in this situation.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Haylee. Offline
Just breathe.
Regular TeenHelper

Re: What is so addicting..... - September 8th 2011, 10:23 PM

i agree with madeleine.claire.

also, it could for some people just become habit. you don't WANT to do it but you've don'e it for so log you feel you need to. idk if thats relavent to you but thats kinda what it's like for me..

Haylee Elaine

(#4 (permalink)) Old
WildHeart Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Suz

Re: What is so addicting..... - September 8th 2011, 11:01 PM

For me personally it's the pain, and the blood when it comes to cutting. Like the pain hurts but feels good at the same time, but the longer I've been cutting for the more it feels good rather than hurting... Make sence? And just for some odd reason it's addicting watching a cut bleed... idk why

People say I'm happy, and I'm good at what I do, but what people never realize is that I'm a damn good actress too...

(#5 (permalink)) Old
asherzxd Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: ...

Re: What is so addicting..... - September 13th 2011, 02:26 AM

Its different for everyone. Once u come to do it at a daily bases you'll realize what u like most of it. At first it may be for a different reason and it could change. I started to cut to feel something. I still do for that reason, but its the whole experience. When I cut I feel the pain I feel like I can hear it inside my ears. I like the blood but most of all I live for the scars.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Maztarded Offline
Maztarded
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Mariyam Jan

Re: What is so addicting..... - September 15th 2011, 04:47 PM

For me and some others out there, its the rush you get from the cut.
It just makes everything like all the problems go away for a second. some people comfort eat to take away the pain some poeple who are fortunate enough have people they can talk too.
SH is just another way to deal with a problem i think. And im not trying to promote it in any way but this is just how i feel.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
TheCrowing Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Courtney

Re: What is so addicting..... - September 15th 2011, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beautiful.Disaster View Post
also, it could for some people just become habit. you don't WANT to do it but you've don'e it for so log you feel you need to.

Haylee Elaine
I don't even enjoy it anymore. The last times I did it, I expected it to make me feel better, really good. And it really just felt like a mini rush, then I just went deeper into the bad feelings. It became this habit, an addiction. So even though I don't even enjoy it (enjoy isn't the right word, but close enough), I still feel the need to do it. I did it for so long that it just became a normal thing.

"Although only breath, words which I command are immortal." Sappho

"Sometimes I feel nothing at all. Sometimes I feel everything is my fault.
Sometimes I feel the hate break my mind. Sometimes I feel they deserve it this time.
May the bridges I burn light my way." - I, Alone - Otep

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Glass Slipper Offline
Music Lover

Outside, huh?

Name: Frankie<3

Re: What is so addicting..... - September 15th 2011, 06:48 PM

I'm not sure if I understand your question but I have an answer and if I didn't understand then I really am sorry.

For me when I used to cut it was because i felt like I had no control over what pain I felt and when I cut I was the one in control on how many times I do it at once and so on. I think it's the same thing for biting myself which I still do. Also When I cause pain to myself it proves to me that I am still alive and I just felt numb. That is what made me want to do it more the feeling I got out of it of actually being "ALIVE" that was the only real time I ever felt like that. You get what I am saying? I have no clue if this makes sense or not but I hope it does.

We may shine, we may shatter,
We may be picking up the pieces here on after,
We are fragile, we are human,
We are shaped by the light we let through us,
We break fast, cause we are glass.
Cause we are glass.
|Member 2007||Senior Community Mentor||Social Media Guru||Resource & Newsletter Editor||Writer||Chat Mod|
|Forum Mod: LGBT, Sexuality and gender identity, Eating Disorders, Self-Harm, Peer Pressure and Bullying, Disability, Good Days, Friends & Family|
|PM/VM|

(#9 (permalink)) Old
blumemusik♫ Offline
~Savvy?
I've been here a while

Name: Kate

Re: What is so addicting..... - September 15th 2011, 07:34 PM

Maddie is right. The sciencey explanation is that your brain releases endorphins when you cut (endorphins are happy chemicals.) Your body likes them, and wants more.

It's like eating chocolate or having sex. Addictive because it makes you feel good.

Closed Thread