TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
purpl3333 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Question dont really know what to do without sh - September 15th 2011, 02:46 AM

Hi!:0 ...im beth i haven't self harmed in a week now and i want to stop for good ,but
Without it i don't really know how to handle everything going
on right now i try just drawing or reading a book when im upset
but it only works for a couple of weeks ..I've bween on a bunch of other help sites and theyg say that it should help and it might for some ppl but just not really for me i mean am i the only one with this problem? I just really want to stop but with everything coming at me all the time i don't know how to bc its kinda all i have ..can anyone help?plzz

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Dr.Bobby Offline
Psychologist
Senior TeenHelper

Re: dont really know what to do without sh - September 15th 2011, 03:07 AM

Hi Beth!

Good for you for wanting to stop, and actually doing so! A week is great, you're on your way. keep it up!

Ok, staying S/I free for a week indicates you can do this, that you have the will power to resist the urge. Keep that in mind if it comes back, use the same stuff you did for this past week.

There are two things that can help: The first is to try to identify the triggers for your S/I, what it is that causes you to lose control. Then, try to address that before it reaches that critical level where you feel you have to. So, you're changing the cue from 'cut' to 'uh, oh', it's a recognition process. Then, you substitute something else instead of cutting. And that is 2), talking to someone, either about the stress, or simply something else. A good distraction is often very good at relieving stress simply b/c it takes your mind off the urge, and with that loss of 'steam', there's a loss in the perceived need to cut.

This takes some time, but what might also work is for you to make a deal with yourself that if it doesn't and you feel you cannot master the urge, then you tell (and show) some trusted adult in your life what's been going on and let them take you to someone like me who can work with you to fix it for good.

PM me with the link of the post you'd like me to respond to.

Closed Thread