TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Cali Gurl Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

lost in the hole of self harm - October 14th 2011, 02:40 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering by the original poster or by a Moderator. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

I started self harming about 5 years ago. I was never to "bad" I just made light cuts. But as the years have gone by they have been getting deeper. I try so hard to stop, I've tried most of the things on the sticky to help not do it and I just do it anyway. My boyfriend asks me not to and gets angry with me when I do. I was free of self harm for about a month but last night I was so low I couldnt stop myself. Now I'm trying to hide it from my boyfriend. I told my mom awhile sgo and she just said " well why dont you come to me when you feel like that" and half the time my mom and my relationship is what gets me so upset. so how could i go to her? Ive tried to go to other adults and i ask if there is someone i could talk to about some stuff i have going on and nothing ever comes of it. One of my teachers saw a bandaid on the inside of my arm and gave me a concerned look and ask what it was i of corse lied there were other people around me its not like i would have been like " oh i cut myself " . I don't know were else to turn. I WANT HELP. I just need some support for someone. What should i do????

I added the triggering just in case

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Ambedo. Offline
I'm as sane as I ever was.

Outside, huh?

Name: Sam

Re: lost in the hole of self harm - October 14th 2011, 03:24 AM

Hey girl. I have the same issue. It's definitely hard to hide sometimes and I know it's frustrating to be stuck in that cycle. Lately, I've been wearing a rubber band or a hair tie around my wrist. Every time I feel the urge to cut, I snap it on my wrist. Sure, it hurts a little bit, but it's better than cutting yourself. It's helped me refrain from it. If you ever need anyone to talk to, PM me. I'm always here to offer support.

wanderlust consumed her;
foreign hearts & exotic minds compelled her.
she had a gypsy soul
and a vibrant heart for the unknown.
-d. marie

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Pensive14 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: lost in the hole of self harm - October 14th 2011, 05:14 AM

GAH! My long ass posts were deleted twice! (Note: I'm dramatically shortening my post)
Anyway, I am determined to tell you this so here goes:
The last person was right in one respect, but when you break down like last night, I doubt a hair tie is going to cut it. Something I do is have an "accident". I might fall and scrape my knee, or shut the car door on my leg. Of course, that's only if I'm feeling really depressed.
Another method is faking. Simply put, you draw red marker all over your arm, and run something no sharper than a ball point pen. I know it sounds dumb, but it worked for me and a lot of other people.

I'm glad you took the second step (Admitting your problem to others), especially when I've been SI since I was about 8, and I've only gone so far as admitting it to myself. But the next step is just as crucial as the last two. You should really find a psychologist; one that'll really work with you and you feel comfortable with.
You've probably heard this a million times, but friends and family can only go so far, and a psychologist will give you the solid commitment to end cutting once and for all.

I hope I've done more help than harm. If you make any progress or just need someone to talk to, send me a message/email.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Closed Thread