TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
bnwhite Offline
Average Joe

Name: Brianna

Frustration - October 18th 2011, 05:19 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of self harm, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Today has been frustrating on so many levels. It started out so well and ended on such a bad note. First one of my best friends in college tells our campus minister about my cutting and depression. Then, my roommate takes it upon herself to find my razor and pretty much every other sharp object in our room, hide them in a box, and lock the box so I can't get to them. As soon as she did that, I immediately felt like I was going to break down. I've never had these things taken away from me. Every time I've tried quiting in the past has been on my own terms, not because someone else is basically forcing me to stop. I just don't know what to do anymore. I quit self-harming for like 4 1/2 months and just recently started up again. Now that I'm at it again, I don't want to stop. I've got to find something else around here to use.

"When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "happy." They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life." --John Lennon

"What matters isn't that you fell, but that you got back up. No matter how many times it takes, it's that you get back up. We fall down and all isn't lost." --Renee Yohe

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Katie Lydia Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Katie

Re: Frustration - October 18th 2011, 05:27 AM

Hey Brianna, sorry your having such a shit time but this mirrors exactly what i'm going through right now and i felt compelled to reply. Cutting is a way of coping, not necessarily the right way but a way, what your roommate is doing is very forward but she's doing it because she's worried.

Talk to your campus minister and admit to cutting, it will be hard and awkward but no point in lying, explain why you cut, you do not feel suicidal. Taking away the option of cutting is making you cut. The domestic bursar at my college knows i self harm and her words perfectly were, "If your going to cut, your going to cut, no one can change that once in your in that frame of mind, taking away that option or restraining you makes it worse, you start to get really upset because you can't release that pain which is wrong."

Don't get me wrong, im not telling you that you should hack your arm to bits but to take that option away is wrong. Your roommate sounds like she doesn't have any experience with self harming, she's only trying to help so don't take it out on her. Just remember, you live in that college, people will notice and prepare for talks about you, i'm dealing with that right now. My friend physically restrained me when i wanted to self harm and the minute i broke free i put a cigarette out on my arm, the domestic bursar had a word with him and told him to just let me do it but be there for me after if i need him and to just be a friend. Since he's done that i want to self harm less and less.

Be honest and upfront, they can respect you for that. Don't get too stressed about it, everything will be fine

PM me if you need anything! x

Razors pain you
Rivers are damp
Acid stains you
Drugs cause cramp
Guns aren't lawful
Nooses give
Gas smells awful
You might as well live.

♥ Family ♥ Animals ♥ Cats

(#3 (permalink)) Old
bnwhite Offline
Average Joe

Name: Brianna

Re: Frustration - October 18th 2011, 09:05 PM

I'm sorry to hear that you're currently going through this, too. It sucks. I don't think she understands that if it's what I want to do, I'll find some way to do it. All I know is right now, I've got to find something in this room that's not locked up.

"When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "happy." They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life." --John Lennon

"What matters isn't that you fell, but that you got back up. No matter how many times it takes, it's that you get back up. We fall down and all isn't lost." --Renee Yohe

(#4 (permalink)) Old
SnowKitten Offline
SnowLeopard/Caracal/Otter/Fox
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Snow

Re: Frustration - October 19th 2011, 12:28 AM

I'm sorry that you're going through this Brianna. The best thing I can say is to do what Katie has advised. And maybe have a talk with your room mate and tell her that taking your things away is making it worse. Tell her that you need support not restriction. I hope things go a little better for you my dear.
(Also, love from a fellow North Carolinian.♥)

Click my eggs and help my dragons grow! :3
  Send a message via AIM to SnowKitten Send a message via Yahoo to SnowKitten  
Closed Thread