TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Spoons Offline
Too tired to give a fork.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Questions on psychiatric wards in hospitals and SH - October 23rd 2011, 07:00 PM

My mother said that if I SH again she'd put me into the psych part of our city's hospital for 3 days.

My school counselor and school psychologist said that I'm not crazy, and that psych hospitals are always crowded and expensive.

Before being considered to enter a psych ward in a hospital do we need to have an evaluation? If they pretty much say you're not "crazy" would you be safe from being admitted, or would they admit me because my mother wants me to? I haven't been diagnosed with a mental condition or anything, I just SH.

What other criteria do psych wards in hospitals usually look at before admitting you. I'm fifteen, is there any way I'd be able to refuse treatment so I won't be admitted? =/ I'm trying so hard not to cut (I've done other, less noticeable forms of SH that barely leave a mark since) and it's been about a month, but I feel like a relapse is coming near and would rather be grounded and screamed at by my parents, brother in law, and sister than go to a psych ward in a hospital.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Stargazed. Offline
Outside, huh?

Re: Questions on psychiatric wards in hospitals and SH - October 23rd 2011, 08:47 PM

Hey Dez,

I'm not sure how your local hospital does it or anything, but I'll tell you what happened with me when I was admitted in hopes that it will help give you a general idea of what may happen, or what may not happen.

I was 16 when I was admitted into my state children's psychiatric unit. However, two months prior to that I started counseling because my father found out about my self-harm. With that said, my psychiatrist admitted me into the inpatient unit because I mentioned suicidal thoughts which involved self-harm.

With that said, I think they'd do an evaluation on you and make sure you're not a danger to yourself or anyone else. I don't think they'd place you in inpatient based soley on what your mother wants. It's a long process that is taken very seriously. They'd probably want to diagnose you with something too. Whether that be depression or otherwise. If you're just self-harming and not having any suicidal thoughts, they may ask you to start outpatient therapy and not go into the psych ward.

As for you being 15 and refusing treatment, it depends on the laws but you're still a minor and unfortunately; I don't think you can refuse treatment as a minor, but like I said it depends on the laws. As in RI it's a person under age 18 (a minor) can not refuse treatment. You're pretty close to me so it may be the same, but it may not be.

I wish you luck and if you need anything, feel free to PM me.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Spoons Offline

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Questions on psychiatric wards in hospitals and SH - October 23rd 2011, 08:50 PM

Thanks for answering.
I admitted to my counselor that I SH, and that's how my parents found out. I did it in hopes of getting a therapist, but my parents haven't gotten me one. I don't know if I have a mental disorder or not, but I don't think so, and because I've ASKED for help do you think they'd take that into consideration and just push outpatient therapy more than inpatient?

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Magical Forest. Offline
Crazy Penguin Lady
I can't get enough

Name: Hannah

Re: Questions on psychiatric wards in hospitals and SH - October 23rd 2011, 08:51 PM

I'm from the UK, so i'll tell you what I know about our system, i've been in many psych wards.
You wouldn't really be admitted just for self harm. They're more looking for people who are suicidal and are at risk of seriously hurting themselves.
You would have to have an evaluation done, to see your frame of mind and see if treatment would be beneficial to you. So as long as you show no real danger towards yourself, they can't really admit you. Hospitals aren't pleasant to be in at all, so try your best to avoid them, get all the support you need from the community.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Stargazed. Offline
Outside, huh?

Re: Questions on psychiatric wards in hospitals and SH - October 23rd 2011, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dez View Post
Thanks for answering.
I admitted to my counselor that I SH, and that's how my parents found out. I did it in hopes of getting a therapist, but my parents haven't gotten me one. I don't know if I have a mental disorder or not, but I don't think so, and because I've ASKED for help do you think they'd take that into consideration and just push outpatient therapy more than inpatient?
I'd think that they'd push outpatient more than inpatient seeing as you're just self-harming. (Not that that isn't bad, but you get what I mean) I think that you should be referred to a psychiatrist, someone who is qualified to diagnose you with a mental disorder - you may think you don't have one.. but you may. I didn't know until I was evaluated.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Spoons Offline

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Questions on psychiatric wards in hospitals and SH - October 23rd 2011, 09:16 PM

My parents don't believe in medicating children and teens, and I can imagine my mom screaming at a psychiatrist if they even suggest that I have a mental disorder, though. Because of this I don't see what staying in a psych ward will even do for me. I want to ask them what they'd actually do if I cut and say that I probably won't be admitted just for self harming, but I'm scared to. I'm trying so hard not to cut but it's hard. =/

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Stargazed. Offline
Outside, huh?

Re: Questions on psychiatric wards in hospitals and SH - October 23rd 2011, 10:11 PM

You can try and sit down with your parents and explain to them why you self-harm and how you don't think that a psych ward would help you. Do you think that would help the situation? And really, if you do have a mental disorder that requires medicine, I don't think your parents would deny you as they love you and they want to make sure you're okay.

I know how hard it is to keep going self-harm free, but you can do it. You've made it so far already! Keep pushing through.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Spoons Offline

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Questions on psychiatric wards in hospitals and SH - October 23rd 2011, 10:14 PM

I've done that, my mother insists I'm doing it for attention and have no reason to SH. But thanks, though.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Stargazed. Offline
Outside, huh?

Re: Questions on psychiatric wards in hospitals and SH - October 23rd 2011, 10:17 PM

I'm sorry she doesn't understand. :[ I'm here if you need anymore help. Take care of yourself. <3

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Spoons Offline

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Questions on psychiatric wards in hospitals and SH - October 23rd 2011, 10:18 PM

You too. Thank you so much for answering.

Closed Thread