TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Paix et Amour Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Sarah

how can i tell my parents? - November 4th 2011, 01:58 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of self harm, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

i recently started cutting again after 2 months. i cut all over my wrist instead of the usual stomach cutting. its getting very hard to hide and i think it might be easier to tell them.

thing is, i dont want them to force me to stop or force me to get help. i also dont want them asking tons of stuff about it.

how the hell should i go about telling them?
  Send a message via MSN to Paix et Amour Send a message via Skype™ to Paix et Amour 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Re: how can i tell my parents? - November 4th 2011, 10:05 AM

Really don't think you can avoid that entirely without not telling them. Getting help/support is not a bad thing for this either, if done correctly. Just try to calmly tell them how you've been feeling and that you cut to release the buildup. They're you're parents they love and care for you and all they want is what's best for you.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Spoons Offline
Too tired to give a fork.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: how can i tell my parents? - November 6th 2011, 03:15 AM

Try writing them a letter. Explain everything in that letter and then deliver it to them. That way you can make sure you say everything you want to without having a nervous stutter or anything.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
lost_soul Offline
:)
Average Joe

Re: how can i tell my parents? - November 6th 2011, 08:46 AM

If you tell them, they are obviously going to want you to stop. If you tell your parents that you've been hurting yourself, they aren't going to brush it off and accept it, they're going to want to stop the behaviour and deal with it. They don't want to see their daughter hurting herself.

You could try writing them a letter explaining exactly how you feel, what you've been doing, how you feel about getting help/stopping. Make sure it's detailed and you get down every last detail. They will probably confront you after reading it but it will be so much easier to talk to them after writing the letter as they'll already know how you feel without awkward stuttered conversations.

If you'd rather tell them face to face, just come out and be open and honest about what you've been doing, how you're feeling. If they talk about stopping/getting help, tell them that it might take some time for you to feel as though you can get help/stop cutting. And mention that it's really uncomfortable for you to talk about and suggest that they try not to interrogate and let you speak about it on your own terms.

They could react in many different ways and you have to be prepared to deal with any given reaction.

You'll be ok, good luck with everything.

PM me anytime, I love helping people and will do my best to help you <3

And if I bleed, I'll bleed knowing you don't care
~ Evanescence, Missing

Closed Thread