TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
*Lucy* Offline
Lucy
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Lucy

struggling with urges.... - December 18th 2011, 07:51 PM

I'm really proud of myself I haven't cut for a while (mostly because my boyfriend and friends check my arms) but I think about cutting constantly.....it's like i'm obsessed with it...and the weird thing is that I really miss doing it...I keep looking at my arms wishing my old cuts were there....I can't stop thinking about it..........

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Disappearing Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: struggling with urges.... - December 18th 2011, 07:58 PM

Hey there.

I am happy for you that you've gone a while without cutting! That is very good!

It's normal for people who have struggled with cutting to think about it. It can be an addiction. Just because you think about it, it doesn't mean you need to give in and do it again. Remember that.

When you feel like cutting and you can't stop thinking about it, distract yourself. There are a bunch of ways to do this. Check out http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f12-s...ves-self-harm/ for some ideas. Also, if you haven't tried it, I recommend the Butterfly Project. It's been helpful for me.

You're stronger than the urges, and they will get better with time. Feel free to PM me anytime if you have any questions or want to talk about anything. Stay strong!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
bitesize Offline
Member since April '07
Outside, huh?

Re: struggling with urges.... - December 18th 2011, 08:04 PM

Hey, I'm so glad you've managed not to do it all this time. It's perfectly natural to miss cutting, trust me. I used to do it all the time and even though I've been free now for almost three years I still miss it like crazy sometimes. However, the good news is that the urges do get a LOT weaker and it gradually becomes so much easier and easier not to do it. You might still miss it but you'll be much less likely to give in, and you'll get used to being able to keep your mind off it or use other coping strategies. I think it's good that you have people checking you, even if it can be a bit frustrating it WILL work in the long run. Keep it up, it'll be so worth it and I know you can do it. ~ From a previous self-harmer.x

Honey, you're familiar, like my mirror, years ago
I slithered here from Eden just to sit outside your door
Níl a shíltear mar a bhítear.
Things are not always what they seem.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
*Lucy* Offline
Lucy
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: struggling with urges.... - December 18th 2011, 08:30 PM

It's encouraging to see that it is possible to stop self harming but at the same time it's discouraging to think that the urges never totally leave...I just feel like I kind of ignore my problems and that's why I haven't been cutting...as soon as I'm angry I have these total breakdowns that lead to cutting again... I'm just afraid I'll cave and at the same time I kind of wish I will cave so I can cut....I'm so confused....

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Sulvan1811 Offline
disposeableAntichrist
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Eanna

Re: struggling with urges.... - December 18th 2011, 08:35 PM

hey i just joined ... i am a guy who has self harmed ... even though guys arnt really looked upon to do stuff like that :/ can someone please explain about the way to post and stuff ??? tank u oh and lucy stay strong u can beat it

(#6 (permalink)) Old
*Lucy* Offline
Lucy
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: struggling with urges.... - December 18th 2011, 08:41 PM

thanks.... all you have to do is go under the support forum you choose and post a new thread...! I've only been here for a few months so that's all I can help u with but welcome!

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Sulvan1811 Offline
disposeableAntichrist
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: struggling with urges.... - December 18th 2011, 08:51 PM

hahah tanks i dont tink der r many guys on dis :L but hey guys get depression too right we can go throough same shit too ?? please say im not the only guy on this site :L :L tanks lucy u r really cool ta help me

(#8 (permalink)) Old
*Lucy* Offline
Lucy
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: struggling with urges.... - December 18th 2011, 09:06 PM

there are guys here not sure how many but who cares...if u need help we'll all try to support doesn't matter if u're a girl or boy....

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Sulvan1811 Offline
disposeableAntichrist
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: struggling with urges.... - December 18th 2011, 09:13 PM

ur comment tere just like made my day :L which kinda shows how sad my life is lol :L its cool to know i can talk to people bout stuff cuz in real life i have like no people who understand stuff :/ they all just go on with their friends :L

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Squiggly Offline
I've been here a while

Re: struggling with urges.... - December 18th 2011, 09:41 PM

Hey I am glad that you have been able to keep yourself from cutting it is a big accomplishment! A lot of people miss cutting sometimes especially when something has been bothering them. Just stay posative and keep reminding yourself why it's a bad idea. That is usually what helps me.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
bitesize Offline
Member since April '07
Outside, huh?

Re: struggling with urges.... - December 18th 2011, 09:43 PM

Hey..you're Irish too (: and definitely not the only guy on this site!! And yep, guys self-harm too, it's just not as commonly known as girls.

And Lucy yeah the urges are still there occasionally but they're definitely not as strong. I posted a thread a couple of hours ago (thanks for the reply) about wanting to cut, but at the same time I knew that I wouldn't do it, no matter how much I missed it. It's hard to explain but the longer you go the less tempting it becomes ~ even though if you told me that three years ago I wouldn't have been able to imagine it. You just have to keep telling yourself that and it really is true. It's going to keep getting so much easier and the further you go the prouder of yourself you can be (:

Honey, you're familiar, like my mirror, years ago
I slithered here from Eden just to sit outside your door
Níl a shíltear mar a bhítear.
Things are not always what they seem.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Sulvan1811 Offline
disposeableAntichrist
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: struggling with urges.... - December 18th 2011, 09:51 PM

yea ireland for life lol :L yea i hate people thinking guys dont get depressed or get eating disorders or self harm :L just cuz its more common in girls ? yea i dont care who tinksbit anyway :L i have learned to stop careing so much about wat people tink of me and shtuff :L like wen i was 12 i was fatt but i loved life and now im not as fat and i hate where i am ... wat the hell happened even my mom sed i used to be bubbley person :L ill tell u wat haplened i grew up lol ,,, anyway yea i did cut ova summer i still tink about it i only stopped like a month ago ,,, i dunno it made me escape and feel human i guess :L wow im such a freak :L

Closed Thread