TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
LadyLeila Offline
Average Joe

Name: Leila

Why does pain make me feel better? - December 23rd 2011, 06:28 AM

I know it's bad, and I should find better ways to deal with things, but sometimes pain is just easier. Physical pain is tangible and present; it helps me escape from the confusing state of emotional pain.
I've never been one to cut or inflict any self-harm before, but right now it's very appealing. I've only tried it a few times - nothing hard core - just scratches here and there...but I like how it makes me feel. They're just little scratches. I know they'll heal without scarring and they won't hurt me long term. It just makes me feel better. I know it's not good...but I do it anyway. I don't really want to stop, though something in my rational brain is telling me I probably need help...so I thought I'd start here.

--Alexa Lauren

Never regret something that once made you smile...

...Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind

(#2 (permalink)) Old
BlaineG. Offline
Banned
Average Joe

Re: Why does pain make me feel better? - December 23rd 2011, 09:35 AM

Hello,

I am sorry that you are struggling with cutting right now. As a self harmer I understand how you want to do it but you have to avoid it because just a few cuts is going to turn into 5 or 10 and then they are going to scar. There are many dangers to cutting. Please don't cut.

Stay away from cutting!!!!

Take Care,

Blaine G.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Irinya Offline
I claim them all.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Fred

Re: Why does pain make me feel better? - December 25th 2011, 05:53 AM

Hey Alexa,

There are a few reasons cutting might make you feel better. First of all, when you cut, you're damaging your body. When your body is damaged, it releases certain chemicals, one of which is adrenaline (epinephrine if you're British). This is the same chemical your body releases when, for example, you suddenly get scared, or when you're about to take a big exam, or something like that. It's our body's natural response to stress, and it numbs both physical and emotional pain.

Another reason is quite well summed up in some lyrics at the beginning of a Marianas Trench song, Say Anything:
Quote:
That little ***** with her head held
So high, talking ****, and I
Cut myself so I could feel something I
Know is not a lie.
It's pretty much the reason you said. I've felt it too -- cutting gives you something real to feel when all you have in your head is a swirling mess of doubt and uncertainty.

That's why the urge to cut is so strong.

BUT all this aside, I super strongly recommend you don't start cutting. I started off by scratching myself on the arm with a pin, thinking that this was definitely only going to happen once... long story short that was more than a year ago and since then I've given myself some pretty serious injuries by cutting. Even today there are still some times I have to try pretty hard to keep from slicing myself open.

Sorry if that was a little too graphic or triggering for you, but I really just wanted to drive this point home: It's really, fundamentally not a fun way to live and I beg you to please, please not start.

Please PM me, or anyone else, if you need anything. We're all with you.

"Want to know a secret?

You are beautiful.

Black, white, gay, straight, bisexual. Whether you are smart or quiet or impossibly in love with your best friend, someone out there cherishes your smile and gets butterflies when you walk into a room.

Someone out there can't stop thinking about you. You Are Beautiful. Don't ever believe differently."

If you ever want someone to talk to, about absolutely anything, feel free to inbox me!
  Send a message via Skype™ to Irinya 
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Solivagant Offline
Previously Apple of your eye
I've been here a while

Name: Suv

Re: Why does pain make me feel better? - December 26th 2011, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexalauren View Post
I know it's bad, and I should find better ways to deal with things, but sometimes pain is just easier. Physical pain is tangible and present; it helps me escape from the confusing state of emotional pain.
I've never been one to cut or inflict any self-harm before, but right now it's very appealing. I've only tried it a few times - nothing hard core - just scratches here and there...but I like how it makes me feel. They're just little scratches. I know they'll heal without scarring and they won't hurt me long term. It just makes me feel better. I know it's not good...but I do it anyway. I don't really want to stop, though something in my rational brain is telling me I probably need help...so I thought I'd start here.
Hey Alexa,

Firstly I want to congratulate you on making this thread. Getting help is very important and you have taken a step towards it. So kudos!
Now, I know that the pain makes it feel better. But this is only short term.
Its scratching right now, and may seem harmless but it is not. This is where addiction to cutting starts. You will soon want to inflict more and more pain. So it is my request that stop here before it gets worse.
You don't want the scars that you can get from SH. You don't want to keep hiding them for the rest of your life. You don't want to make excuses in front of people when asked about them. In the long term this is not what you want. This is not what helps in the long term.
I hope that you have seen this list of alternatives-
http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f12-s...ves-self-harm/

If you want to talk about anything, feel free to PM/VM me
Stay strong <3
-Pisces

"Words are, in my not so humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic, capable of both inflicting injury and remedying it."

-Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

(#5 (permalink)) Old
SM13 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Why does pain make me feel better? - December 31st 2011, 04:08 AM

Hey

I know how you are feeling. When I first started it was like you. I thought it was no big deal cuz I'm not actually bleeding or anything. I just wanna let you know that cutting is one slippery slope. In a matter of weeks I went totally down hill. Please try to stop before sopping seems impossible. I know it feels good doing it but try to stop before you need that feeling to get you through the tough times. It seems like no big deal at first, but trust me you do not want to go down that road.
~SM~

(#6 (permalink)) Old
XxraevynxX Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Why does pain make me feel better? - January 1st 2012, 10:38 PM

thts how i started out... now i have scars almost to my elbow and i dont have anymore space to cut... please try to stop... its rlly not good... i totally understand how it goes and it seems ok at 1st but l8r it becomes ur life... u dont rlly know anything other than cutting and depression....

XxshadowxX

Closed Thread