TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Tori

Exclamation I NEED HELP, But I don't WANT HELP! - December 26th 2011, 08:20 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering by the original poster or by a Moderator. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

I don't like telling people I self-harm, never have. I've been cutting since I was in fifth grade, due to bullying by my 'best-friend.' I have only come out to three people, that I know I can trust. I know some alternatives to SH'ing, I have tried them, but they don't work for me. I have recently started The Butterfly Project. I think its kind of working, but everythings a trigger. I know my family wouldn't support; help me. They would shun me for cutting. I have attempted suicide seven times in the past three years. I know I need help, I think I want help, but I don't know how to get it. HELP!!!!!!!!!

Life isn't about FINDING YOURSELF Life is about CREATING YOURSELF
  Send a message via Skype™ to IHateFeelingLikeThis 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Sweet Slumber
I can't get enough

Name: Kelly

Re: I NEED HELP, But I don't WANT HELP! - December 28th 2011, 02:19 PM

You can get a school counselor. Most are pretty nice. Some aren't. If that's the case you can ask to see the other one (if there is more than one). If they suggest a professional counselor, they can talk to your parents about it. They don't have to tell your parents why, just that you are depressed and need someone to talk to.

If your parents refuse, you can take action if you want. This can be called neglect because they are not providing you something you need. That's only if you want to push it.

Otherwise, stick with a school counselor. Also, my school had a professional counselor come in once a week and it was free. So my parents didn't have to take me. I would just go during a study period and talk. Then go back to class. Nobody knew where I was going, just that I went to the counselors office. I told them it was about career planning

If you need anything else, PM me. I'll try to help best I can.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
BlaineG. Offline
Banned
Average Joe

Re: I NEED HELP, But I don't WANT HELP! - December 28th 2011, 02:43 PM

Hello,

If you want help. Thats great I would always encourage you to get help. Its the right thing to do. One way you can get help is to call 911 or your local emergency number and ask for ambulance. Tell them exactly what you told us and ask them for help. They can help you. I do hope you are able to do this if not you do have other options such as calling a suicide hotline and trying different coping skills but again I would recommend that you call for an ambulance and get professional help.

You can PM me anytime you need to.

Stay Strong!

Take Care,

Blaine G.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Laurasaurus Offline
I percept the apostrophe.

Regular TeenHelper

Name: Laura

Re: I NEED HELP, But I don't WANT HELP! - December 29th 2011, 03:53 AM

Well, parents are a good option. They want what's best for you, even if they don't seem like they do. They love you, and don't want to see you hurting. I know how naive they can be, but give em a chance ok?
There's not much else I can say, you just have to believe in yourself, and gather enough courage to tell them. Good luck. <3 and

Oh yes, and if your parents shun you (I think someone already said that) talking to a school counselor or hotline to ask for advice would be good, too.

I'm on leave right now, but please don't hesitate to PM or VM me if you want to chat, if you need advice, or if you need any help in my forums - I'm still around.

1/7/12 - Live Help Operator | 1/25/14 - HelpLINK Mentor | 6/8/14 - Depression and Suicide Forum Moderator | 6/8/14 - Addictive Behaviors Forum Moderator | 1/11/14 - Videos Team Member | 5/28/13 - Color Guard Member

You can PM or VM me if you need help with anything.

Excellence can be attained if you care more than others think is wise, risk more than others think is safe, dream more than others think is practical, and expect more than others think is possible.

It is better to light one candle than to curse the darkness.

All you need is faith, trust, and a little bit of pixie dust.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: I NEED HELP, But I don't WANT HELP! - December 30th 2011, 10:45 PM

Thanks guys, but I'm scared to tell anyone about it. I've only told two people about it. I'm afraid my grandma (the only parent I have) will find out, she's anti-SH and shuns anyone that SH. If I tell a counselor about it, I'm afraid they'll shun me, or tell my grandma. I really don't want my family finding out about this.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
bailatyvm Offline
bada bing bada boom.
Regular TeenHelper

Re: I NEED HELP, But I don't WANT HELP! - December 31st 2011, 01:21 AM

Hm, well I don't think they'd shun you. Maybe you could tell your grandma that you haven't been feeling the best lately and you really think that you could benefit from some counseling. Because once you get into counseling it's a safe zone; legally they cannot share what you've said, and they also understand what you're going through; that's what they studied for years. But if that isn't an option, maybe you could just talk to your school counselor about the feelings you're having that are causing you to self-harm, rather than the self-harm itself? Because that could help you get through those feelings which could help you stop self-harming.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: I NEED HELP, But I don't WANT HELP! - December 31st 2011, 01:30 AM

I also really don't want the school counselor to know, in fear of being shunned by them, or telling my family. But I'm also not sure if I want to stop self-harming. -_-

(#8 (permalink)) Old
SpringLove Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: I NEED HELP, But I don't WANT HELP! - December 31st 2011, 03:53 AM

Cutting is something that is really hard to stop because of all the emothions that are connecting to it from when you began it. Did you tell any adults that you can trust? Im 15. I stopped cutting in september. I told my 36 year old neighbor about because I knew I could trust her and that she would be a good person to talk to. I think you should see a counselor. You dont have to tell your parents why you want to see one, just tell them you believe it is important.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: I NEED HELP, But I don't WANT HELP! - December 31st 2011, 06:50 AM

No I haven't told any adults, and I don't plan to.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Laurasaurus Offline
I percept the apostrophe.

Regular TeenHelper

Name: Laura

Re: I NEED HELP, But I don't WANT HELP! - January 1st 2012, 02:55 AM

Ok, I think I should put this out there. Isn't there a doctor/patient confideniality law out there? Even though a counselor might need to tell someone, she/he could help you through the whole process. You have to remember, the counselor is your ally, not your enemy.

I know what you mean about your grandma, my mother is the same way. But your grandma LOVES you and she would only want to help. I strongly encourage you to talk to an adult about this one.
<3 and hang in there.

I'm on leave right now, but please don't hesitate to PM or VM me if you want to chat, if you need advice, or if you need any help in my forums - I'm still around.

1/7/12 - Live Help Operator | 1/25/14 - HelpLINK Mentor | 6/8/14 - Depression and Suicide Forum Moderator | 6/8/14 - Addictive Behaviors Forum Moderator | 1/11/14 - Videos Team Member | 5/28/13 - Color Guard Member

You can PM or VM me if you need help with anything.

Excellence can be attained if you care more than others think is wise, risk more than others think is safe, dream more than others think is practical, and expect more than others think is possible.

It is better to light one candle than to curse the darkness.

All you need is faith, trust, and a little bit of pixie dust.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: I NEED HELP, But I don't WANT HELP! - January 1st 2012, 04:28 AM

I still don't think I'll tell anyone except the two people I've told. But thanks for the support.!(:

Closed Thread