TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
blackrose
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Mags

Before you make that first cut - March 26th 2009, 12:04 PM

The reason I wrote this was to warn all people who are thinking about self-harming. I have been a self-harmer for going 8 years and if I had seen something like this at the start I would never have begun self harming.
Please no one take this as an insult or as an attack on people who self harm, I just want to stop as many people as I can before they get to the point I am at.

Before you make that first cut, I want you to answer some of these questions

Do you think self harm helps you?? Do you think it makes you feel better and happier…. Well guess again..

Do you want to become more depressed and feel more isolated than ever before??

Do you want to spend your days thinking about Self Harming and your nights doing it??

Do you want to be awake till all hours of the morning scrubbing blood of the bathroom floor? To scared to sleep incase you get blood on the sheets AGAIN??

Do you want to become a lier??

You lie so much about everything to everyone that you begin to wonder what is the truth??

Do you want to say good bye to all your summer clothes?? Shorts?? Tee shirts??

Do you want to wince away from people when the touch you incase they feel the scars under your clothes or just because it hurts so bad??

Do you want to look at your arms, wrists and legs covered in scars and burns and then begin to hate yourself even more??

Do you want to spend all your money on plasters, bandages and creams just so you can hide and take care of your new destructive habit??

Do you want to sit alone in your room at weekends crying and cutting, crying and cutting because you just don’t think its worth the hassle of hiding your scars and painting on a smile??

Do you want to be so dependant on a piece of metal??

Do you want this to take over your life completely?

Did you know that self harm decides what you wear, how you feel and how you look. Do you like the sound of that??

Do you want to lose touch with your best of best friends because you have become so withdrawn that you are impossible to communicate with??

Do you want to be able to scream for help, but then your to ashamed of what you do to your self to get help?

Do you want to live each day wondering will today be the day I cut to deep??

Do you want to be rushed to the ER in the middle of the night to get your wrist, your leg, your arm sown back up with stitches??

Do you want to feel the strange and scary range of emotions you feel with Self harm.. Do you want to bounce from a second of happiness to hours and hours of guilt, pain and regret??

Do you want to be aware that all these things are happening to you but you don’t have to power to stop anymore??

Do you want to start self harming???

I wrote this all myself but I did get some ideas for the questions of various web sites!

The lord says 'before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born, I set you apart'

Jeremiah 1.5

Just keep swimming swimming swimming - Dory from finding Nemo!!

Hold your head high princess, for tomorrow is another day.

You can do tonight without the help of a blade and wake in the morning with the feeling of accomplishment

PM me anytime, I am always here to be a shoulder to cry on, an ear to hear whats bothering you and words to make you see the hope

A
<3

Last edited by Sissa; March 29th 2009 at 08:40 PM. Reason: Editing out the most inappropriate bits.
  Send a message via MSN to x-x-xblackx-x-xrosex-x-x  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Not a n00b

Name: Sam

Re: Before you make that first cut.. PLEASE READ. - March 26th 2009, 05:18 PM

I really wish I'd read something like this before I started cutting. I've had to lie to so many people so many times... I've hurt a couple of my best friends by telling them I've stopped, when in reality, I've not. Longest I've gone was 3 months without it... and because I told my friends I stopped completely "several weeks ago", they don't ask to see my arms, which is what one friend did, right in the middle of class. I really wish I'd thought more about it, instead of continuing on, after I accidently got cut shaving that night. Because now I feel like a weak, horrible person, because of it-- of course no offense to any other SHers.

Thanks so much for putting this up, Mags.

There will come a time, you'll see
With no more tears
And love will not break your heart
But dismiss your fears
Get over your hill and see
What you find there
With grace in your heart
And flowers in your hair

(#3 (permalink)) Old
*Jen* Offline
keep smiling :-)
Outside, huh?

Name: Jen

Re: Before you make that first cut.. PLEASE READ. - March 26th 2009, 05:35 PM

I think this is such a good thread. It really does make you think. Even if you do self harm at the moment I think that it kind of makes you realise all the bad things about self harm.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Barbed Lungs Offline
Crazy Cat Lady
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Nicola

Re: Before you make that first cut.. PLEASE READ. - March 26th 2009, 05:44 PM

This really is a great thread. I wish I could have read it before I started. It would certainly have made me think twice. All of those questions hit home really hard, especially, Do you want to be aware that all these things are happening to you but you don’t have to power to stop anymore??

It's really made me think twice, think about regaining that power.
Thanks x

---
- I'm not strong enough to stay away -
- and I wanna leave -
- and I wanna stay -
- And I'm so confused -
- So hard to choose between the pleasure and the pain -
---
  Send a message via MSN to Barbed Lungs  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
blackrose
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Before you make that first cut.. PLEASE READ. - March 26th 2009, 06:03 PM

Hey guys... thanks for yer comments on this =] im really glad ye like it =]

much love

xx

The lord says 'before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born, I set you apart'

Jeremiah 1.5

You can do tonight without the help of a blade and wake in the morning with the feeling of accomplishment

PM me anytime, I am always here to be a shoulder to cry on, an ear to hear whats bothering you and words to make you see the hope

A
<3
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Junior TeenHelper

Name: kaylyn

Re: Before you make that first cut.. PLEASE READ. - March 26th 2009, 11:39 PM

Do you want to be so dependant on a piece of metal??

story of my life....

this is great! I wish I had realized what I was getting myself into.

I need you Jesus
To come to my rescue
Where else can I go?

el rescate no es un mito

Last edited by Sissa; March 29th 2009 at 08:42 PM. Reason: Edited the original quote.
  Send a message via AIM to rescueisnotamyth  
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
MadPoet Offline
You're the Original <3
Outside, huh?

Name: Amanda.

Re: Before you make that first cut.. PLEASE READ. - March 27th 2009, 12:17 AM

I really appreciate this thread. I know that reading that would make me never want to have self harmed all my life. I know this thread could really a help a lot of people possibly considering self harm. If people would ask themselves these questions before they cut for the first time, it could save them a lot of pain. Thanks for posting this

A lonely soul in a land of broken hearts

(#8 (permalink)) Old
sphynx Offline
A Work In Progress
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Claire

Re: Before you make that first cut.. PLEASE READ. - March 27th 2009, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Do you want to wince away from people when the touch you incase they feel the scars under your clothes or just because it hurts so bad??
This is the one that hits me hardest. And the one about the lies. I can't lie, but when it comes to my SH, it seems as though lying becomes a second nature.

Been SHing for nearing six years now, and I really wish I'd stopped myself to answer these questions. Even now, they make me think.

Good post.

xo Claire

Clean since 01.08.09
  Send a message via MSN to sphynx  
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
KoKoEm Offline
love's lookin' good on you =]
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Emily

Re: Before you make that first cut.. PLEASE READ. - March 27th 2009, 01:32 AM

Quote:
This is the one that hit me hardest. I shied away from one of my friend's for the first time because he reached towards my arm. He looked at me with the most confused look and I never told him why I did that... I may someday before he graduates.

This is how it ends
We believe every lie & say we'll still be friends
How long will it last
Before we scratch all the scripts & rework the casts
*Hourglass by the Hush Sound*

PM me =]

Current Craft Obsession: http://friendship-bracelets.net
Craft obsessions vary often.
  Send a message via AIM to KoKoEm Send a message via MSN to KoKoEm Send a message via Yahoo to KoKoEm  
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
gummybearbandit Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: allene

Re: Before you make that first cut.. PLEASE READ. - March 27th 2009, 01:44 AM

wooooooooooooow you realy should of thought aboput what you was saying befiore you posted this. alright this is a form for people who are struggling to get ahold of this addiction and if you gona shit here in criticis them for doing the one thing they know to cope then you are just as stupid as your caslling them. next time you wana post a thread that makes a person feel worse for doing domething then do it on another form. you know probly just made a few people spill blood over that thread tonight. honestly you new to keep opions lik that to your self or on another thread not hear THIS FORMIS FOR HELP!!!!!!!! NOT DEGRATING PEOPLE!!!!!!!!

hav u ever wanted 2 die or cry or scream up the sky n ask god y y me y now y u feel so numb inside y ur sinkin deeper ever wanted sum1 2 care hug u with u noin thier there needed sum1 2 tell u a lie so u can belive its true jus 4 a min or show u the beauty in the sky hav u ever ben the 1 2 try

(#11 (permalink)) Old
BlueEyedBeauty Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Barb

Re: Before you make that first cut.. PLEASE READ. - March 27th 2009, 01:45 AM

If only that was around before i first cut! i would have saved my self 8 years!!

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Mister Helpful Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Zachary

Re: Before you make that first cut.. PLEASE READ. - March 27th 2009, 01:49 AM

Yeeeah...uhm, i agree, these kinds of Forums that you have posted just cause more problems than you try to solve...i mean come on you wouldn't like it if people started to tell you what to and not to do, so why sit here and basically laugh in the face of people who cannot help but do this..i mean i do agree their are other and safer methods for these kinda of things but thats no reason to make fun of them =/ sooo yeah. thanks for your time.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Junior TeenHelper

Name: kaylyn

Re: Before you make that first cut.. PLEASE READ. - March 27th 2009, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gummybearbandit View Post
wooooooooooooow you realy should of thought aboput what you was saying befiore you posted this. alright this is a form for people who are struggling to get ahold of this addiction and if you gona shit here in criticis them for doing the one thing they know to cope then you are just as stupid as your caslling them. next time you wana post a thread that makes a person feel worse for doing domething then do it on another form. you know probly just made a few people spill blood over that thread tonight. honestly you new to keep opions lik that to your self or on another thread not hear THIS FORMIS FOR HELP!!!!!!!! NOT DEGRATING PEOPLE!!!!!!!!

ummm... They weren't trying to degrade people. I was grateful for this thread. It made me think. Self-harm isn't the greatest thing you can do for yourself, and most of us on here are trying to stop, threads like this help to keep our priorities straight.

I need you Jesus
To come to my rescue
Where else can I go?

el rescate no es un mito
  Send a message via AIM to rescueisnotamyth  
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
KoKoEm Offline
love's lookin' good on you =]
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Emily

Re: Before you make that first cut.. PLEASE READ. - March 27th 2009, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gummybearbandit View Post

You took this 100% wrong.
This forum is actually not just for those trying to get ahold of the addiction, it's also for those who are considering starting it.
And she put at the end:

Quote:
The reason I wrote this was to warn all people who are thinking about self-harming. I have been a self-harmer for going 8 years and if I had seen something like this at the start I would never have begun self harming.
Please no one take this as an insult or as an attack on people who self harm, I just want to stop as many people as I can before they get to the point I am at.

She is not trying to hurt anyone, just help. Please realize that and read everything before making assumptions.

This is how it ends
We believe every lie & say we'll still be friends
How long will it last
Before we scratch all the scripts & rework the casts
*Hourglass by the Hush Sound*

PM me =]

Current Craft Obsession: http://friendship-bracelets.net
Craft obsessions vary often.
  Send a message via AIM to KoKoEm Send a message via MSN to KoKoEm Send a message via Yahoo to KoKoEm  
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
blackrose
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Before you make that first cut.. PLEASE READ. - March 27th 2009, 10:16 AM

Ammm... okay i guess some people dont find this helpful and im sorry to those who dont. I have noticed that the ones who dont like it are all new to this site, so maybe they just need to get used to the way it works.

If I can stop only one person SHing and a million people insult me, Il be more then happy!!

Thanks to everyone for the positive replys =]

and would someone mind very much moving this back to self harm.... No offence to Lizze [ the lil lady who moved me into self expression] I just think it would be better in self harm.. ya know so people can see it.

Loves

xxx

Jeremiah 1.5

A
<3
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Online
Optimistic Witch :)

Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Re: Before you make that first cut.. PLEASE READ. - March 27th 2009, 06:21 PM

I am sticking with my choice of leaving it here. After discussing the matter with many other staff member we feel it would be better left here, as it is lease likely to offend others if it is in this section of the forum. You are completely entitled to your own opinion on the topic, but what you said can be seen as a bit harsh to others. And not just new members either. I have gotten complaints from several members already. Not all self harmers feel that way, not everyone that cuts themselves feels like what you are writing about. So it is almost stereotyping some self harmers and that is also making them feel worse. So, keeping in the Self Expression forum is better than leaving it in self harm. If you search for cutting this thread still comes up, so it will be seen by others. But hopefully it will not upset as many users. If you ever need to talk, feel free to PM me anytime.

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for six years::
~Blessed Be~

(#17 (permalink)) Old
edadly.kiss Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: x

Re: Before you make that first cut.. PLEASE READ. - March 27th 2009, 08:23 PM

great poem. so moving. i can just understand it. i wish i read this before anything ever happened.

Closed Thread