TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
13reasonswhy Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Cassidy

I don't know when its too deep - January 1st 2012, 12:40 AM

When I cut, I don't pay attention to the deepness. The other day when I did it, I knew I went deeper than normal because of the amount bleeding and it wouldn't stop for awhile.. But it didn't feel any different. How do I know when I need to stop so I don't go too deep?

Last edited by 13reasonswhy; January 1st 2012 at 02:57 AM.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
tess Offline
Tess
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Tess

Re: I don't know when its too deep - January 1st 2012, 04:39 AM

hey Cassidy, cutting is a hard habbit to break, if you want to stop thats great! if you dont feel like you can then thats okay to. One of the main reasons for cutting deeper than normal is because you are extremly emotional when you do, you are caught up in the moment and cut deeper than is necessary because you want to absorb the pain quicker than you usually would. Generaly it only takes a small scratch for the brain to register the pain but if your emotions are overriding it then it will take longer, so in response you are cutting deeper. When you feel like cutting you should try to think to yourself to slow down take a deep breath and think if you really want this? sit down, have a tea or a coffee or anything to get your mind away from the urge and just breath.
of you ever wanna talk just PM me .

(#3 (permalink)) Old
bailatyvm Offline
bada bing bada boom.
Regular TeenHelper

Re: I don't know when its too deep - January 1st 2012, 04:49 AM

How do you know when you need to stop? Hm, well, whenever I've gone too deep I've done it as the above person said, super emotionally. So make sure you give yourself some time to calm down and think. Generally when going to deep it looks different, it's more gaping, it bleeds longer, and you get into kind of a panic mode/dizzy. If you are at all concerned, go get professional help immediately. But really, try to calm yourself down/distract yourself when you get urges so that you are safe. Gradually you're becoming braver, but not in the best of ways.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
she dreams of love.
Outside, huh?

Name: Jessie

Re: I don't know when its too deep - January 1st 2012, 07:49 PM

Hi there.

Honestly, I always wondered this when, now I know, my self harm wasn't that bad. When I went to deep, I just knew. I think if you go to deep it is kind of common sense as to when you need medical help or if you need to close it yourself with butterfly stitches after cleaning it properly. Like already said, when we do hurt ourselves badly we can be in quite a state and not really take notice or think about it so sometimes it might be best to get it checked anyway. If you cut to deep then it might bleed a lot for a longer period of time, in which case I suggest you get medical help as soon as you can, just in case. If it's gaping open you might just need to have buttery stitches which you can buy and do yourself or you can see a nurse to get it done. If it's worse than that it might need gluing which needs to be done my a nurse or a doctor. Again, if it's even worse than that it might need stitching or stapling which obviously, you will need medical help for. Just make sure you self harm safely and try and get help to stop you from doing it. You don't have to be alone in this so get the support to help you beat this and make sure you get medical help if you need it.

It might help you to look at this too.

Take care Jessie.

Selfharmforummod; MentalHealthforummod;HelpLinkmentor;Blogmod;LiveHelpoperator;Depressionandsuicideforummod; Articles Team; Talent Committee

Closed Thread