TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Jreaper Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Why is it so wrong? - January 1st 2012, 01:54 AM

Why is self-harming so wrong? I cut because I feel emotional pain. To me, physical pain is much less degrading than emotional pain, so I cut because the physical pain overpowers the emotional pain. I feel pain either way, so why is it so wrong to not want lower myself anymore than I already am. To me, crying and hurting is a sign of weakness. I think everyone can agree that physical pain isn't quite as powerful as emotional pain, and I've been fighting and sparring with my brother for the longest time, so I'm not as prone to hurting. I cut so I don't cry, so I don't feel any weaker than I already know I am. Why is it so wrong then? Why deny me my only defense?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
13reasonswhy Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Cassidy

Re: Why is it so wrong? - January 1st 2012, 01:58 AM

I always wonder that too.. I just started getting counseling for cutting just last month, so I'm not a professional at this or anything, but I think its not the fact of it being right or wrong because either way, you're putting yourself in danger. Hope this helped. And like I said, I'm going through the exact same thing, so if you ever want to talk about it, you can PM me if you want.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Laurasaurus Offline
I percept the apostrophe.

Regular TeenHelper

Name: Laura

Re: Why is it so wrong? - January 1st 2012, 02:16 AM

Its wrong because you are putting yourself in danger, plain and simple. I know it can help, and its easier than emotional pain. But crying can help to, trust me, you can even google it. It isn't weak to cry, but if it makes you uncomfortable, do it in private. I know you might not listen to me, but I thought I should put something out here anyways. PM me if you want.

I'm on leave right now, but please don't hesitate to PM or VM me if you want to chat, if you need advice, or if you need any help in my forums - I'm still around.

1/7/12 - Live Help Operator | 1/25/14 - HelpLINK Mentor | 6/8/14 - Depression and Suicide Forum Moderator | 6/8/14 - Addictive Behaviors Forum Moderator | 1/11/14 - Videos Team Member | 5/28/13 - Color Guard Member

You can PM or VM me if you need help with anything.

Excellence can be attained if you care more than others think is wise, risk more than others think is safe, dream more than others think is practical, and expect more than others think is possible.

It is better to light one candle than to curse the darkness.

All you need is faith, trust, and a little bit of pixie dust.

Closed Thread