TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Self Harm (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f12-self-harm/)
-   -   Triggering: Will the butterfly project work?? (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f12-self-harm/t91835-will-butterfly-project-work/)

WitchedWillow January 2nd 2012 12:59 AM

Will the butterfly project work??

I've been cutting for two years. Recently, (just today actually), I heard about the butterfly project. I decided that I would give it a try.
I've already drawn three butterflies.
The first one is Anna, the second one is Tegan, and the third one is Zach.
I love the idea of this. But.., I've still wanted to cut a lot. Something is telling me to not cut though..

The butterfly project. I like it. I don't know why, I just do.

And I know it probably won't last me too long. It'll probably last me around 2 weeks. But atleast I'll stop for a lil bit.

Who has it worked for? Has it worked for you? Or is it a load of lies, and will it not work? I really wanna know.., I really wanna get better and stop waisting my families money on therapy sessions and mental hospitals for suicide attempts..
Does the butterfly project work??

Ennui. January 2nd 2012 01:19 AM

Re: Will the butterfly project work??

Hey there (Welcome to TH by the way!),

I'm really glad that you are giving the butterfly project a shot. Not every alternative works for every person, but what matters is that you are determined to help make it work. There are so many alternatives out there, and I think that the butterfly project is a good one. Want to know something that might make you a bit more determined to let the butterflies live? Have a friend or family member that you care about draw a butterfly or two on you. I find that they have more meaning when someone else does them for you. Stay strong. :)

-Dez

WitchedWillow January 2nd 2012 02:42 AM

@Dez:
That's a good idea :) I'll get some people to do that for me

Ambedo. January 2nd 2012 06:25 PM

Hey Willow!
For me, it definitely has helped. I don't actually draw butterflies on myself, mainly because they look like poor little creatures that have been stepped on. Lol. But, I do focus on the people that mean something to me to stop myself from cutting. I think about how hurt they would be if they knew what I was doing to myself. So, it's not exactly the same thing, but it's the same basic concept! :) But, don't get discouraged if this doesn't work out or if it stops working. Just move on to finding a new method and keep going strong! Feel free to shoot me a message anytime. Stay strong!

Nadroj January 3rd 2012 12:25 AM

It doesn't help me. If I cut over the butterflies then I'd be scared of ink poisoning and if I cut somewhere else - then they wouldn't make me want to stop at all.
I feel like it's just a system to make yourself feel guilty. A lot of us already have enough guilt about it. Like, friends, parents, whoever telling you to stop and just making you feel worse.
I don't need anything to make myself feel even more guilty about it. Feeling guilty isn't going to solve your problem and if you can't do it, (if you cut despite the butterflies) then you're probably just going to feel worse.

JustAnotherAnesthetic January 4th 2012 11:56 AM

I'm trying the butterfly project, too.. I started 3 or 4 days ago and since then I haven't cut.. I have 6 butterflies on my arm at the moment.. and every seemingly small, insignificant thing makes me want to cut. the fact that i haven't done it in 3 or 4 days is surprising. I started the butterfly project more for my friends than for myself, because I know by hurting myself I hurt them, too.. but I don't see it lasting very long. It works, but I think for it to work for an extended period of time you have to have a lot of self discipline.