TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
buttercup13 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Jessica

Unhappy I soooo regret telling my family.. - January 23rd 2012, 02:02 PM

Yesterday I decided to tell my family that I still SH

http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f12-s...rm/#post800985

Well I told them last night.. I just kinda blurted it out.. my mom came to visit me and my sister (I live with my sister).. And I'm doing the butterfly project. And my mom noticed.

My mom: Gee you have you have nothing better to do than draw stuff all over your arms?
Me: they're important.
My mom: how?
*I blurt out what the butterfly project is and say I lied about the shelf*
My mom: what are you saying?
My sister: she means she still cuts herself!!!
They both look at me crazy then act as if I said nothing.
Later as my mom is leaving she says she wants to talk about this by ourselves on her day off.

This morning my sister told me this.

Her: I thought alot about what you told me and I've decided that I'm just gonna have to check your arms regularly and if I see any new cuts fuck the therapist I'm putting you in a mental hospital
Me: you cant do that. I'm already 18.
Her: watch me.

I so regret telling them now but I was just so tired of lying..

We are all born for love. It is the principal of existence, and its only end.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while

Re: I soooo regret telling my family.. - January 23rd 2012, 03:19 PM

I'm really glad you told them, as scary as it is.
Here's the thing. Everyone talks about being in a hospital as if it's the worst thing that could possibly happen. It's not. They can actually be extremely helpful in helping you get better. Depending on where you live, then yeah she can have you put in the hospital. Usually this involves an involuntary 72 hour hold and evaluation. As far as I'm aware, it doesn't usually go much past that unless the case is extreme or they feel you'll benefit from a longer stay. Once you get out, they'll probably require you to attend regular outpatient therapy and such. You should see how things go with your mom as well, it sounds like she might understand more than your sister.

You could also print out some information for your sister on how to help you and what cutting is.
This is the first page on this article: http://kidshealth.org/parent/emotion...ng.html#cat146
And I'm going to give you the part of it that explains how to deal with it, even though I know you can click "next page" : http://kidshealth.org/parent/emotion.../cutting.html#

I know this is directed more towards kids that know another kid that cuts, but it could still help your sister understand how to react:
http://kidshealth.org/teen/your_mind...end_cuts.html#
Page two has things that can help, and page three has things you should avoid doing.

"We all have battle scars, Finn. Suck it up and build a brace for yours."

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: I soooo regret telling my family.. - January 23rd 2012, 04:35 PM

hey. I'm really glad you told them. Im sorry you dont like the way your sister is acting towards you. I doubt she'd be able to put you in hospital because like you said you're eighteen besides she hasn't got parental responsabilities towards you. I was in hospital for almost eighteen weeks due to mostly self harm and it did help me in a lot of respects. If your self harming is bad and you feel at risk to yourself maybe going to hospital is something to consider. Or you could look into outpatient support if its what you want. Just remember you're worth more than self harm. You dont need it and in the long run it isn't really going to help you but ultimately could make things a lot worse. Look after yourself. Jessie

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Lumos. Offline
Used to be Don'tForget
I can't get enough

Name: Dionna

Re: I soooo regret telling my family.. - January 23rd 2012, 11:49 PM

Thats really good you told them. Its hard to do. Its better that you tell them insead of them finding out on their own. Im sorry your sister acts like that towards you. Is she often like that? I hope you get better. And if you do go to a hospital it'll help. It would keep you safe. <3
Im here if you want to talk.

From day one I talked about getting out
But not forgetting about
How all my worst fears are letting out
He said, "Why put a new address on the same old loneliness?"
When breathing just passes the time
Until we all just get old and die
  Send a message via Skype™ to Lumos. 
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
cyndii Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Cynthia

Re: I soooo regret telling my family.. - January 24th 2012, 02:36 AM

I'm sorry it got that bad, keep your head up and be who you are. Don't let anyone change the things you believe in.
And about your sister threatening to put you in a mental hospital, you should look up your rights on that just so you know what to do or how to react if she keeps good to it cause theres always loopholes to those kinds of things.
Keep up with the therapy and stick with the butterfly project. And just generally keep safe

Cynthia Aveiro

Closed Thread