TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
0769986 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

stuck - January 31st 2012, 08:29 PM

hi
i have been a self harmer for along time now
i sh from the age of 11 untill i was 17 i stopped for nearly 3 years however i started again i am not nearly 23 and need help to stop
my family dont know i sh or anythin about y
i work i a nursery with 3 - 5 year olds my manager has guessed but i havent confirmed anything idk what to do

(#2 (permalink)) Old
ALittleLost Offline
Average Joe

Name: Maddie

Re: stuck - January 31st 2012, 09:14 PM

Is there anyone you can talk to about this?
Talking to a councler or a psychologist might help (it helped me).
Why do you self harm?

"Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise"
-Les Miserables

"All these thoughts locked inside, now you're the the first to know"
-"It ends tonight" All-American Rejects

"You built up a world of magic, because you're real life is tragic"
-"Brick by Boring Brick" Paramore

(#3 (permalink)) Old
0769986 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: stuck - February 1st 2012, 01:16 PM

i have no1 really to talk to
sh helps me feel in control and helps me block out stuff that happend to me and sometimes still happens

(#4 (permalink)) Old
xxprincessxx Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Sammie

Re: stuck - February 1st 2012, 07:41 PM

Hey,

I think that you really need to find somebody to talk to! Counselors are really helpful in overcoming these things. I realize that you say that you cut for a sense of control, but cutting is not a healthy thing to do. There are so many other things that you can "control," if that's something you struggle with, especially being an adult. I know that you said that you also do it to block out thoughts. You really need to confront these thoughts, even though it might be really hard in order to get better. I suggest doing this with a counselor. I know that it seems really hard but once you confront it, instead of try and escape it, life gets so much better. I've been there. I self-harmed for six years, but by opening up and talking and having people to hold my accountable, it's gotten so much better! You can do this! If you want to talk, feel free to PM me.!

all i want is a place to call my own and
mend the hearts of everyone who feels alone,
woah,
you know to keep your hopes up high and your head down low.

<3

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
she dreams of love.
Outside, huh?

Name: Jessie

Re: stuck - February 2nd 2012, 01:52 AM

Hey there. I want to start by telling you how well you've done to come to us here at teenhelp. I hope that we can in some way help you. Self harm isn't that uncommon and like yourself a lot of people use it because they find the physical pain they get from hurting themselves stops the emotional pain and hurt they are feeling. However although we feel it helps for those few moments when we're doing it, if you look at the good and bad things about self harm and compare them you'll see that actually self harming has more negatives than positives. Yes, you may feel it helps block things out in the moment but it's not a solution. You can hurt yourself as much as you want too but it's not going to get rid of the underlying issues. Chambes are sooner or later the urges are going to come back, you'll hurt yourself again. Feel a bit better. Until it comes back and you find yourself going around in circles because it's not actually helping you. It's dangerous. You could do it too badly and require medical attention. If you went too far it could result in accidental death. You can get infections which in worse cases if untreated could lead to amputation. You're could get scars. You can become 'addicted'. Most of all, you don't deserve it. You're beautiful inside and out. The pain you're inflicting upon yourself isn't worth it at all. You deserve better. I suggest you talk about the underlying issues. Try and see them from a different view. Try, as hard as it will be, to pull positives out of them. You're more than welcome to talk to us about it. We're here to listen to you and support you as much as we can. But we can only give you advice from our personal experiences and general knowledge. In which case it might be beneficial for you too seek professional help. This could be a doctor or therapist. These people are trained and do their job because they want to help people like yourself. I know this is hard for you right now but you can beat this. You are stronger than self harm. You're in control of your actions and the only person who can stop you from hurting you is yourself. Don't let this who. Fight it because in the end it honestly will be worth it. Use distractions. Read, walk, run, listen to music, do work, have a lush bubble bath, do art, ring a friend, go shopping, anything that helps you because you are worth it. Look after yourself. Jessie x

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Solivagant Offline
Previously Apple of your eye

I've been here a while

Re: stuck - February 2nd 2012, 11:22 AM

Hey there
Firstly, welcome to Teenhelp
If there is any way in which I can help you in here, let me know.
Check out this list of alternatives to distract yourself when you have the urge to cut. Every alternative may not work for you, you'll have to try some of them to find one that works.
If you need to talk, I am always here
Take care and stay strong <3

"Words are, in my not so humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic, capable of both inflicting injury and remedying it."

-Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Closed Thread