TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Speckled Gecko Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Sophie

Question Scars go = cut - February 9th 2012, 06:52 PM

Hi,
Just wondered if anyone could tell me any advice.
I've been cutting (and other things) for a while now, and i'm stuck because i want rid of the marks in case anyone sees, but i know that when i can't see a cut in my skin anymore (if it's beginning to heal) it's not satisfying anymore and i need to do it again.
Also, i'm going away for a few days with my friends and i'm petrified that they'll see (only one person other than my therapist knows i do this). They're not the type of friends that will ignore this, they will confront me and be annoyed. (My mum almost caught me the other day too). How can i ensure they won't see when i'll be stuck in the same place with them for over 72hrs?
Thanks for reading,
Speckled Gecko (Sophie) Xx

Last edited by Palmolive; February 10th 2012 at 12:12 AM. Reason: Removing prefix

(#2 (permalink)) Old
EllieNielsen Offline
treading water
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Elizabeth Nielsen

Re: Scars go = cut - February 9th 2012, 07:16 PM

Hello Sophie ( I love your name!! )

Firstly, welcome to TH :] I hope that you find the support you deserve on here, everyone is so friendly and most importantly, judgement free!

I have the same urges when my marks begin to fade, but the key is to remain strong and to not give them notice. I know it's easier said than done.. Is this something that you want to stop doing? Do you see yourself able to let them heal and fade without having the urge to do it again?

It sounds like you have some wonderful friends. While you may hate the fact that they will confront you, I hope you see that they do it out of love. It sounds like they really care for you and want to help. Have you spoken to anyone about why you SH or why you feel these urges?

Do you understand what makes you want to SH? A lot of the time it is very difficult to understand what triggers us to SH. Try to keep a diary and next time you feel the urges write down EVERYTHING that you are feeling. Do this for about a month, then look back. You will notice that there are reoccurring thoughts or emotions leading up to the times you SH. It will make it easier for you to detect these thoughts and to try and fight them or make distractions so you do not SH.

I have hid my scars for years. Even when I think people see them, they don't. Typically people aren't looking for scars or marks the way people who SH do. They may not even notice. While I understand your concern and wanting to hide them, have you thought about opening up to your friends? This might be the perfect opportunity to do that while you are away from home and have all of your friends close to you. I know it can be scary, but you will be surprised at how supportive, kind, and understanding others can be. Are you going away somewhere that you feel safe and can relax?

I sincerely hope that you stay strong and you keep fighting. People don't just Sh for no reason, and I really hope that you open up to your friends, family, therapist, TH members :P anyone about what is making you feel this way. Keep smiling, and keep challenging yourself to just go one more day without giving into the urges :]

(#3 (permalink)) Old
~Lost and shattered~
Average Joe

Name: Lia

Re: Scars go = cut - February 10th 2012, 02:19 PM

To hide scars put some cover-up on and they shouldn't notice it as easy!!!!! no one noticed when i used this... the only reason my mum found out is because i made a comment about how cutters AREN'T insane...

I Really hope this helped,
Lia

4/26/2012 quote of the day at school:
"Someone called me dellusional
and i nearly fell off my
unicorn"
-unknown

"You only get to
be yourself once,
it would be a shame,
it would be a fucking
shame if you didn't