TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
BethGoesRawr Offline
JustBethReally
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Beth

Whats Happening To Me :'( - February 9th 2012, 09:27 PM

I don't know whats happening......I keep self harming (cutting) and I am really scared, it seems each time I do it, it gets deeper

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: Whats Happening To Me :'( - February 10th 2012, 12:12 AM

Hi there.

I'm really glad you have come to us for some help and support. It's really positive you're reaching out for help and that you know there's a problem.

You haven't given us an awful lot of information. A lot of people use self harm because they feel the physical pain stops the emotional pain. Where as some people use it as a form of punishment etc. What do you think it is that you get out of self harm? Do you have any specific triggers? How long have you been hurting yourself for? Do you know why you feel the need to hurt yourself? I know it's a lot of questions but if you feel you can answer them I feel we'd be able to help you more. Of course if you don't want to answer them or don't feel able to, that's okay too. You're in control of the pace you go at and that's fine.

Do you have anyone to talk too? Sometimes just having someone to rant to or even cry to can be really good. Just knowing that if you feel that low, you can turn to someone. Whether that's a family member, a friend or even a teacher or school nurse. These people can all help you and support you and be there for you. They all care about you. People like school nurses will also be able to get you further help if you need it which might be an option for you. If you feel you do need help with this and it is an on-going issue then you can also see your doctor and look in to counseling. All of these people can help you. You're not alone in this so don't shut off. Be open and honest, let people in and let them help because you don't deserve to suffer in silence.

If you want to reply and tell us a bit more that's fine. I just wanted to also encourage you to look at this list of alternatives to self harm. Admittedly not everything on there is going to help you so it is all about trial and error and not giving up when you come across one's which don't help. Different things work for different people. Distracting yourself can be really beneficial in the moment when you want to hurt yourself. However, this is more of a short term thing. If you want to beat self harm you need to overcome the underlying issues causing you to hurt yourself.

We're here for you. You CAN beat this. Take good care of yourself.
Jessie

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

(#3 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Julia

Re: Whats Happening To Me :'( - February 10th 2012, 05:05 AM

I think Jessie pretty much covered everything. Want to just say if you are cutting, you should prob talk to an adult that can help you like a parent, teacher, or counceler. They can get you some help and also talk to you about other ways to let off stress. If you ever want to talk, I am here=)

Closed Thread