TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
WestboundPuppet Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Ramon

Exclamation I just cut myself for the first time. - February 17th 2012, 08:58 PM

Ok so today I intentionally cut myself for the first time. I didn't think it would,
but it felt good. I just couldn't take it anymore. Am I going to become addicted to cutting? Even though I did it once already I feel like doing it again. It really took away the emotional pain for a while. I have no one to talk to. I have literally no friends and I'm afraid to talk to my parents or any family. I know its bad to cut and I'm scared i'll soon be doing it every day.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
carwreckblonde Offline
Not a n00b

Name: vicki

Re: I just cut myself for the first time. - February 17th 2012, 09:05 PM

Its not a very healthy way to handle your pain. Trust me I know. I have so many horrible scars and cuts all over my legs and wrists. Yes it feels like an emotional release at the time but then soon you will find yourself doing anytime you can when you are stressed and emotional. It can be addictive because youve found an emotional outlet that seems to work for you. I like the feeling I get when I cut but ive sacrificed the trust with my mum because of it. Shes taken away every sharp thing in my room (including my curby grips ). Instead of cutting yourself, how about you start writing a journal and put how you feel inside. OR go for a long walk and have your music blaring and singing at the top of your voice use to work for me! I hope you find a way to cope which wont make you suffer anymore than you have already.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
SM13 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: I just cut myself for the first time. - February 18th 2012, 01:09 AM

Hey Ramon,
As Vicki said cutting may feel good at the time but it can be very damaging emotionally and physically. I started and within a few weeks it evolved into doing it multiple times a day just to try to be happy. It was literally all I could think about. It's a horrible cycle because the more sad you are the more you cut but the more you cut the deeper into depression you go so you cut more and just are sadder all of the time. I really don't want that for you. Please I know it's terribly difficult but try to resist the urge now before it gets out of control and takes over your life (I'm not exaggerating one bit). I hope you are being safe.
~SM~

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Name: Hannah

Re: I just cut myself for the first time. - February 18th 2012, 01:57 AM

Well I would say you should try and get out now. I feel like the longer you rely on it the harder it will be to stop. You only did it once so you should be able to stop pretty easily its just about wanting to. And also talking about why you did it and different ways to cope. Honestly it might sound like a good plan at the time but as the above users said its just a never ending cycle. You can message me if you ever need to talk!

Here are the list of alternatives in case you haven't seen them. Some might work and some might not just try different things to see what works for you!

http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f12-s...ves-self-harm/

(#5 (permalink)) Old
MissHoran Offline
ohai <3
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Morgan

Re: I just cut myself for the first time. - February 18th 2012, 02:40 AM

I remember the first time I purposely cut myself. I swore I wouldn't let myself get addicted, that I'd only do it every now and then. Just when things got really bad. But eventually I got (and am still at) the point where it has to be more than just occassionally. It's my go to and it's not something you want to get addicted to.
Please don't do it again <3 Find something else to help calm you down. The alternatives list at the top is helpful.

"If I'm louder would you see me?"

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Masquerade. Offline
C'est la vie. ♥

I can't get enough

Name: Sammi

Re: I just cut myself for the first time. - February 18th 2012, 02:47 AM

It's really easy to get addicted to cutting. It feels great at the time and it's easy enough to put the potential harm it can do out of your mind. But, it isn't healthy and it's not worth it. It doesn't fix the problem; it just gives you a release. There are so many healthier ways to do that. Please take a look at this alternatives to self harm thread. Start experimenting with the methods on this list now, so you can find a way to prevent yourself from cutting before it's too late. Take care.

Buddy|Forum Moderator|Performance Committee
Articles Team|Social Networking Team|Newsletter Editor

(#7 (permalink)) Old
dani99 Offline
Ms.Average
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Danielle

Re: I just cut myself for the first time. - February 18th 2012, 03:13 AM

Like mentioned above, stop now while you still can because the more you do it the more you'll be "addicted to it. That happened to me I was 11 when I first cut and didn't stop until I was 14. It was so miserable for me, and now that I'm 16, I still have the urge to cut myself. It might be hard, but you need to stop hurting yourself and look for more positive ways to channel your depression and anger.

Just a girl with an angel above, just a girl with an angel to love. My angel grew wings and she did dare to fly. But I promise my angel, it's only good night but never good-bye. My angel, my angel in heaven above. My angel, my darling, you'll always have my love. Rest in peace, my sweet darling, it's only temporary that we part. My angel, my angel, how you still do steal my heart </3

(#8 (permalink)) Old
HisPrincess Offline
Associate Live Help Operator
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Angelica

Re: I just cut myself for the first time. - February 18th 2012, 03:19 AM

Hey there,

I think it shows so much strength that you decided to post this thread to get some help. Great job! I think just the fact that you put this out here shows so much strength. It shows that you don't want to become addicted to this and it shows such a will to get some help and find alternatives to this. Self harm can be very addictive, but if you counter the feelings of SH with other activities like counting to 10(or higher, until the feeling goes away), writing your feelings down, taking a shower, going for a run, talking to someone, or exercising, then I think you can get yourself past this. Yes, SH might have made your pain go away for a little while, but the really cool thing is you can find other things that can help you release your emotions, just as much as this did. If you ever want someone to talk to, be sure to PM me. You can do this. You're so much stronger then you give yourself credit for.

~ Jelli1224

Formerly jelli1224

Trusting is not a mistake, but it is important to realize that things change. ~ Kmn483<3Bliz

Please feel free to PM me. I love to help others, and can be an ear to talk to, a shoulder to cry on, or a face to scream at. <3

Help LINK Mentor - March 19th 2011 to April 16th 2011

Live Help Operator - February 18th 2012 to June 4th, 2012

Associate Live Help Operator - August 13th 2012 <3

(#9 (permalink)) Old
lauri Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Lauri

Re: I just cut myself for the first time. - February 18th 2012, 04:14 AM

STOP NOWW. Trust me its a bad habit that you do NOT want to get stuck in. Do NOT ever do it again. I regret the first day I did it I wish I could go back. What caused you to cut did something bad happen to you or were you just curious. If something bad happend to you and thats why your cutting STOP the self harm now and talk instead of hurting your self. Talk to your parents about what happend to you and how it makes you feel. Lots of time we turn to self harm to keep what ever is bothering us inside. But it is NOT good to keep it inside its good to talk about it so you can work through it and not keep it bottled inside. So since you only did it once this is your awakening moment to NEVER EVER DO IT AGAIN.

Learn RIGHT NOW to talk about your feelings to your parents and to tell them whats going on. IT may be scary but your parents want to know whats going on with you and they want to supporrt and comfort you. Let your parents comfort you and support you by just telling them about how you feel the bad the good. When you keep things bottled inside by not talking thats when self harm becomes a option. Do NOT let it be a option. LEARN NOW TO talk to some one about how you feel your parents , a friend, counslor at school.

I think thats what we all self harmers including me my self need to learn is if we just talk to some one about how were feeling then we dont need to cut. We need to learn to talk about are feelings instead of keep it inside. When you keep it inside we cut which is not good. So we need to not keep it inside and talk about how were feeling instead of the self harm.
  Send a message via Yahoo to lauri  
Closed Thread