TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
outofbreath Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Olivia

Angry Give me one good reason? - February 19th 2012, 01:31 AM

Why shoould I quit? you know, I've been a week clean and I've only felt more depressed. I'm having all these suicidal feelings and the way I'd deal with it is self harming. I've always been depressed and unhappy. its all i know.. I'm used to it. i dont deserve to be happy anyways. honestly, the whole 'it will get better' thing is a whole bunch of bull crap. i... i dont even know right now. i just wanna cut.i miss the blood. i miss everything about it. i dont wanna do it because it'll make me feel guilty but then i do. :/

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Name: Christina

Re: Give me one good reason? - February 19th 2012, 02:26 AM

Hey Olivia,

I understand that people telling you it will get better and similar things may not seem true but it takes time and effort to get to a point where hurting yourself isn't on your mind all of the time and to where you can do other things without always turning to cutting.
Have you looked at the alternatives thread?
There is a very long list of alternatives there, they are very helpful, they've helped many other people, myself included and can be very helpful to you.
Some things I think you should think about when quitting are that in order for you to have any success with it, you have to want to quit and you have to use any resources you can that are available to help you. Whether that is talking to your parents, a school counselor or therapist, the alternatives thread or contacting a hotline.
If you do not feel comfortable talking to your parents or a counselor, you can always write them a letter and let them know how you are feeling and that you want to stop cutting but do not see any reasons why.
I think you should try taking a piece of paper and making two columns, one for the pros of cutting and one for the cons. (the cons should and definitely will outway the pros)
Some negatives to cutting (or reasons why you should stop) are:
-Scars.
-Serious injury.
-People asking you questions.
-Not being able to wear short sleeves or shorts.
-So many other reasons.
I really hope I have helped and you can send me a VM or a Pm if you ever need anything. You are not alone in trying to quit cutting with having support from others is a whole lot easier and better than trying to quit on your own.
Take care.

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."

(#3 (permalink)) Old
will was here Offline
You're stronger than you think
Average Joe

Name: Will!

Re: Give me one good reason? - February 19th 2012, 02:34 AM

there is a point where you have to stop and think though... do I want to keep living like this. do I really want to always be unhappy? do I want to keep doing these things to myself? I'm sure you don't. So prove it.
You have been so strong for not cutting for so long. Your like a warrior never backing down. and I know you are trying so hard. But fleeting tenacity may not cut it. You have to keep up that effort and you have to keep being that warrior fighting your way out of the dark. You will rise above this not because it will be better tomorrow. but because it's something you have to do. You have power beyond what you believe. a good life costs phenomenal effort. But then you yourself are quite phenomenal.
Why are you so phenomenal? What makes you worth it? I'll tell you. You may or may not be religious but I know one thing for certain. We all have potential. each and every one of us. we have a purpose in life. And one day you will find joy and it will be you spreading that joy just by being the remarkable you.
Do not give up. You are a hero to someone. Me
take care....

flower
hello my heart where have you been
I missed you when you left
you ran away with that senseless boy
and left me dim and dry
like a faded flower in the mist

Come back my heart. you have a home here
In this place that is my soul
I want to feel like whole again. don't waste your time with him

Have faith my heart. You'll get a second chance
come back to me and you will not be alone
  Send a message via AIM to will was here  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: Give me one good reason? - February 19th 2012, 02:52 AM

Hi there.

I think the previous posts before mine have a lot of good advice in them. I'll try not to just go over what they have said but I do agree with the whole there's a point where you have to stop and think, do i want to live like this. Because in reality, I don't think anyone wants to feel like the only way they can cope is to hurt themselves and live to self harm for ever. It's no way to live. It's hard and it's painful and it's a dark place to be. And yes, beating it, going in to recovery is going to be dark for some way, but it might take a few months or years and that compared to a life time, well, it's going to be worth it.

Stopping, beating and overcoming self harm is hard, it's going to take time, it's going to be exhausting and at times you're going to what to give up more than anything. But if you want to beat this, if you want to live a life with out it, the only way to overcome it is to beat it and there's only one way to do that.

Have you looked in to getting any help and support? It might really help you to cope and deal with the underlying issues causing you to self harm helping you beat the self harm in the long run. Keep using distractions to, not everything will work for you so it is all about trial and error.

You can beat this, you're worth more than it and you don't deserve it. You deserve to be free from self harm and you deserve happiness and you can get there but you have to stick at it and change negative thoughts in to positive thoughts. It's not going to be easy but it is possible.

We're here for you and so are other people so don't be alone in this.
Keep yourself safe,
Jessie

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

Closed Thread