TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Boobear Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Sara

Unhappy How should I hide it? - February 25th 2012, 12:16 AM

I cut, and a few days ago I cutted myself and now I have like 4 scars pretty close to each other. And my problem is that we are going to the swimming hall with my school, and that means that my friends will see the scars. I don't know how I should hide it, or what I could use as an excuse. It doesn't really look like a cat would have done it, or that I fell into a bush or something. Help me, please.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Laurasaurus Offline
Learning to Fly
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Laura

Re: How should I hide it? - February 25th 2012, 07:31 AM

Well first of all, it would be helpful if you didn't cut. I suggest telling a friend, school counselor, or somebody like that that can help. I'm glad that you came here looking for help. Welcome to the site.

You could always wear some bracelets or try some make-up. If possible, cover them up with clothing or a towel. Maybe not go swimming if you're that uncomfortable?

It all depends on how noticeable the scars/cuts are. If they're in a place that's easy to hide or keep concealed (the inside of your arm, for example.) then you can probably just be extra cautious.

I always say that it was my cat if somebody notices and I forgot my make-up. There's always the ran into a bush excuse, which will work better than you think. A few other possible excuses might be you scratched yourself, fell out of a tree, or things like that.

I know they have that scar fading cream stuff at drug stores, so you might want to check that out if possible.

PM me if you need anything, my inbox is always open.
Good luck.

1/7/12 - Live Help Operator | 1/25/14 - HelpLINK Mentor | 6/8/14 - Depression and Suicide Forum Moderator | 6/8/14 - Addictive Behaviors Forum Moderator | 1/11/14 - Videos Team Member | 4/11/15 - Senior Live Help Operator

I will be generous with my love today. I will sprinkle compliments and uplifting words everywhere I go. I will do this knowing that my words are like seeds and when they fall on fertile soil, a reflection of those seeds will grow into something greater.

PM / VM

(#3 (permalink)) Old
LoveFever Offline
:o
Average Joe

Name: Sam

Re: How should I hide it? - February 26th 2012, 09:37 PM

You can always say you're on your period and can't go swimming that day. It's a good excuse to keep your clothes on and not have to put on a swimsuit at all. And probably no one will question it.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: How should I hide it? - February 27th 2012, 01:15 AM

Hi there,

Alot of self harmers tend to run into this problem at some point. I think if it's near your wrists then you can try using bracelets. You could look for alternative swim wear too. If you can't find a way to cover them up and don't feel comfortable having them in show then maybe you need to re think the swimmig idea.

However, your scars do not make you weak or a failure or anything like that. So in reality, i do 't think you need to hide them. The scars do not make you any less of a person and these people are your friends right? So if you wanted to tell them if they were to ask, i hope that they'd understand.

If you want to talk about anything, we're here for you. You're worth a hell of a lot more than self harm.

Take good care,
Jessie

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

(#5 (permalink)) Old
iloveyouuu Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: How should I hide it? - February 27th 2012, 02:46 AM

I suggest waterproof foundation. It covers them well, and it stays on in the pool.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
aevolley Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: How should I hide it? - February 27th 2012, 03:02 AM

First, welcome to our community! I'm glad you came looking for help. I would suggest saying you have your period, if that helps. And remember, you are wroth the world, girlfriend! Shine on, and never give up!

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Ambedo. Offline
I'm as sane as I ever was.

Outside, huh?

Name: Sam

Re: How should I hide it? - February 27th 2012, 03:45 AM

If you're set on going swimming, waterproof foundation is the way to go. However, it would probably work better if you avoided going in the pool at all. As other users have suggested, you can say that you're on the period. The people you're with probably won't question that, since they have no idea when your cycle is. If that works out for you, just cover up the scars with bracelets. Just make sure that they're relatively tight, so they don't slide farther up your arm if you move the wrong way.

wanderlust consumed her;
foreign hearts & exotic minds compelled her.
she had a gypsy soul
and a vibrant heart for the unknown.
-d. marie

Closed Thread