TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
alwaysrunning15 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Question want to stop,need help - February 27th 2012, 01:30 AM

I had gone a while without cutting myself.Then a few minutes ago my dad called me a dumba**.I freaked out, we got in a fight.I cut myself.I wanted to stop,and i was doing good.My dad set me off again.Wish i cud just ignore all the mean things he says.
How do i not cut myself anymore?????????:confused 2:

(#2 (permalink)) Old
alwaysrunning15 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: want to stop,need help - February 27th 2012, 01:37 AM

please help.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Name: Hannah

Re: want to stop,need help - February 27th 2012, 03:57 AM

Well I think to stop you just have to find other ways to deal with things. Because just because you stop SHing doesn't mean those feelings will go away. So finding another way to deal with those emotions and get out those feelings. Maybe try the Alternatives list at the top of the SH forum. Also I would say having someone support you that you could talk to about things would definitely help. But the one thing you have to realize is that you might relapse a few times before you can get better but you can't give up!

Good luck! You can always message me if you want to talk!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
ashalily Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: ashley

Re: want to stop,need help - February 27th 2012, 06:02 PM

it is like quitting any addiction. its really difficult to go cold turkey. as someone else said, there is the alternatives list to self harm.

this is what i did to help me stop:
-disposed of all of my razors and other cutting utensils
-found a friend to talk to about my urges. talking it out takes your mind off of the actual action
-took a few deep breaths to calm down and alleviate my anger/sadness. you need to find a way to stop the bad emotions because they are what causes the urges.
-forced myself to think about all of the things that make me happy. do something to make yourself smile or laugh.

i wish you the best of luck. you may relapse a few times but it is a process. if you truly want to, you can quit for good. you just need willpower and strength.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: want to stop,need help - February 28th 2012, 12:49 AM

Hi there,

It's really great that you went a while with out selh harminb.

I'm sorry that things with your dad got bad and made you upset. Recovory from self harm isn't all about deciding to stop one day, never having urges anymore and never self harming again. I think it's fair to say that most people in recovory have a 'slip up' at some point. But it isn't all about the slip up, but it's about picking yourself back up again after.

I really want to encourage you to use distractions. Not everything is going to help you so it's all about trial and error and not giving up when something doesn't help, kee' on tryig new things.

Don't be afraid to talk to people to. You're not alone in this and sometimes just having someone to talk to about what's going on and about how you're feeling can really help. You can talk to friends, family, a teacher, school nurse or counselor, helplines or us. You're nlt alone in this and you're worth more than self harm.

Look after yourself
Jessie

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

Closed Thread