TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
iloveyouuu Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Scars? - February 27th 2012, 01:44 AM

I've realized that some days I wake up, and I view my scars as battle wounds. They make me so proud, and I think they're beautiful. Other days, I wake up, and I just want to cry because I feel like I've destroyed my body.

Does anyone else have this problem? If so, how do you deal with it on the bad days? Should I get scar cream?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Name: Hannah

Re: Scars? - February 27th 2012, 02:51 AM

Yeah I know what you mean. Sometimes I just love my scars and look to them for comfort. But other times I look at them and think its stupid especially when I try and wear clothes that I now can't.

I think now though I have just gotten use to the love/hate relationship I have with my scars. Because I mean in the end you can't really make them disappear completely and I just try and justify them to myself when I think they are ugly. Telling myself they have made me stronger!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
TheCrowing Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Courtney

Re: Scars? - February 27th 2012, 02:59 PM

It's like that for a lot of people. Personally, on those bad days, I just tell myself that they could be worse.. That I should be happy they are what they are, and I should be happy that I got over what I got over, and that scar is a thing of the past. Seeing them reminds me of why I don't want to do that anymore. So it's not necessarily me being reminded of what I've been through, more or less what I've overcome to get where I am.

"Although only breath, words which I command are immortal." Sappho

"Sometimes I feel nothing at all. Sometimes I feel everything is my fault.
Sometimes I feel the hate break my mind. Sometimes I feel they deserve it this time.
May the bridges I burn light my way." - I, Alone - Otep

(#4 (permalink)) Old
lauri Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Lauri

Re: Scars? - February 27th 2012, 04:39 PM

I dont really get scars guess Im lucky
  Send a message via Yahoo to lauri  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
ashalily Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: ashley

Re: Scars? - February 27th 2012, 04:53 PM

personally, i intentionally cut myself in patterns just because i knew they would scar. it sounds kind of stupid, but it was a way for me to justify my actions. i never really wore clothes to cover my scars. i only wore clothes to cover the open wounds. however, that does not mean i was ever comfortable with them. people always look at them and you can see in their eyes what they are thinking. for that reason, i tried scar cream. i used mederma (spelling?) which was application 3 times a day for a certain amount of months. my scars did not fade one bit. from other people, i have heard the same thing that scar creams are not very effective. but you could always try them if you would like.
in the end, your scars are a part of you and your past. i always tell myself not to be ashamed because depression and self harm is not something to be ashamed of. overcoming it shows exactly how strong you are. in a way, they are the story of who you are or who you used to be. it is true that you marked your body and it may be permanent. however, there is no changing the past. so do not beat yourself up over it. try to come to terms with the past. if you just cannot do that and you want to get rid of your scars, i wish you the best of luck.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
lauri Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Lauri

Re: Scars? - February 27th 2012, 09:21 PM

So true ashley shows you went through it and your making it still. Also you can cover up the scars with make up I have tried that. It works a little bit sometimes you can still see it a little bit. I do have some scars that Im proud of because well its hard to explain but the scars are from me cuttign out of love so Im proud I have those scars for reason. I stopped cutting out of love for many years now. Now I just plain cut and dont really have scars from that. maybe like one or something but other than that I dont really get scars.
  Send a message via Yahoo to lauri  
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Laurasaurus Online
I percept the apostrophe.

Regular TeenHelper

Name: Laura

Re: Scars? - February 28th 2012, 09:08 AM

I go through this as well. On my bad days where I don't want to look at them, I cover them up with make-up. Its good practice for when I have to see the doctor or go out and do something.
I don't think I really want them to go away, as bad as they are. They show me that this really did happen, and my pain is real. I can't really explain it, but I'm sure you know well enough.
Ashley- I do the same thing you do sometimes. It isn't stupid to me.

Good luck. My inbox is always open if anyone wants to talk.

1/7/12 - Live Help Operator | 1/25/14 - HelpLINK Mentor | 6/8/14 - Depression and Suicide Forum Moderator | 6/8/14 - Addictive Behaviors Forum Moderator | 1/11/14 - Videos Team Member | 5/28/13 - Color Guard Member

You can PM or VM me if you need help with anything.

Excellence can be attained if you care more than others think is wise, risk more than others think is safe, dream more than others think is practical, and expect more than others think is possible.

It is better to light one candle than to curse the darkness.

All you need is faith, trust, and a little bit of pixie dust.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
CourtneyBug1997 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Scars? - March 1st 2012, 01:45 AM

I feel the same exact way. Not too long ago, I started burning myself with a lighter and a bobby pin. I hate it. But, at the same time, I can't stop. Some days I wake up feeling like I'm brave for doing it and other days, I wake up asking myself why I'm doing this. It feels so right, yet so wrong. :/
'

(#9 (permalink)) Old
ac135453 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: abby

Re: Scars? - March 1st 2012, 02:02 AM

I feel the same way with myself. I feel like im harming myself and that I shouldnt do this but how do you stop something that feels so good?

Always looking for friends

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Merpop. Online
Under the sea...

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dezmaid

Re: Scars? - March 1st 2012, 02:15 AM

I feel the same way. Sometimes I really like the scars and how they look, and I really don't care that they're there or that they are related to self harm. And then on other days they really trigger me or make me feel guilty. On bad days I tend to wear long sleeves or longer clothes so I don't have to see it. If you want to get scar cream you can, but you don't have to. It all depends on your personal preference. Some people just think of it as a story or something they got past.

Good luck and stay strong.

Come with me
And you'll be
In a
World of
Pure imagination

Send a message via AIM to Merpop. Send a message via MSN to Merpop. Send a message via Yahoo to Merpop.  
Closed Thread