TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
blue blood Offline
Not a n00b

Name: loser

Unhappy when angry i cant help but self harm - February 28th 2012, 10:54 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering by the original poster or by a Moderator. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

i have another thread http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f14-m...ngry-then-sad/ its about like my anger and that but when ever i do get really angry i lose control of my body and i don't kno why but everything in my body is like telling me to self harm when im angry like i crave but when i do self harm like cut or stab my self i always feel so bad later but like i said when im angry i just cant help it its like somehow when i self harm it helps but later i just think why did i do that . its starting to get really bad lately cause i get angry like 2 or 3 times a day an every time i self harm its worse and worse i hate it.
i dont no what to do ive tryied calling a helpline but cause of my anxiety i just panic as soon as they say hi

(#2 (permalink)) Old
cuttergirl17 Offline
Average Joe

Name: No one

Re: when angry i cant help but self harm - February 28th 2012, 12:50 PM

Hey...most people who self harm including myself do it when their triggered, sally their sad or angry, 2 very strong emotions, n we self harm at moment because we feel like it helps but than later when u have scars ur just like y did I do this to myself? Well it sounds like when ur angry ur self harm is very serious so maybe ur anger is the main problem... I don't no why u get angry but maybe anger management or therapy can teach u some techniques is ways to calm down or other easy to let out anger... Maybe something like getting a boxing bag n hitting it till u feel better or screaming into a pillow... Their r a,so alternatives for self harm like snapping a rubber band, rubbing a cold ice cube where u want to cut, taking a cold or hot shower/bath, running or exercising n theirs a lot more, pm me anytime I'd be glad to help as much as I can
Sincerely, cuttergirl

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Never Forget Hope
I can't get enough

Name: Kelly

Re: when angry i cant help but self harm - February 28th 2012, 03:07 PM

Hey there, it's me again

I've been through that cycle as well. I used to go through it daily for a couple years. One thing you might want to try is to try to direct your anger elsewhere. Buy a cheap punching bag and when you are angry, hit it. Even a wall is better SOMETIMES, but it does still hurt yourself, so this is only if you have no other choice. But I don't really like that option. So, punching bag, pillow, or just scream when you get angry.

That's one way I get calm again (when I'm alone). I just scream. And then it's gone. Then I have no guilt or urge to cut either.

If you are with someone when you get angry, maybe you could use a stress ball. Keep it with you at all times. When you get angry, reach into your pocket, and start squeezing it. Explain to the person you need a moment by yourself, or just to think. Or don't bother with an explanation and just say you need a moment. Walk away. Squeeze the ball as tight as you can.

You may not be completely calm, but you might be calm enough to finish the conversation. Or calm enough to let them know you can't talk right now.

Also, if not around a person, running as fast as you can really helps to exert your energy. So when you stop, and you're breathless, you're just so exhausted now that you can't find energy to be angry.

Don't limit yourself to just these ideas. There are so many ways to exert your energy into something other than yelling at someone or harming yourself.

I know one person who brings a compact coloring book and a couple crayons with them everywhere. When they get upset, they bring it out and start coloring.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Nakita

Re: when angry i cant help but self harm - March 9th 2012, 08:04 PM

i have been where you are when i get angry nothing can stop me from hurting myself or others. what i do is step back and breathe. i get away from all potentially harmful items and go sit somewhere by myself and just try to calm down. sometimes i sit outside or on my bed and close my eyes and try to center myself. i bring in any good thought and expel the bad thoughts. if this doesn't help i'm sorry. i tried.

"Stop acting like you know what I've been through, you know nothing until you've actually lived every moment and felt every ounce of pain that I have."

"Someone asked me if i missed you, I just walked away then I whispered, so much" I'll miss you forever, Vernon and Charlene.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bWrL...eature=related

Closed Thread