TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
PichiPichiHanon Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Corinne

Angry Why do other people care? - March 2nd 2012, 04:35 PM

Yeah, I self harm in numerous ways all over my body. I'm not dying, I'm not hurting anyone else physically, so why does anyone else care. I mean, my boyfriend talks about how it makes him sad, and my parents think I don't, even though I do. Why can't others just leave me alone about this. Jeez

(#2 (permalink)) Old
xxprincessxx Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Sammie

Re: Why do other people care? - March 2nd 2012, 06:37 PM

Because even though you aren't hurting somebody else physically, you are still hurting them by hurting yourself. Nobody wants to see somebody they love and care about hurt, because that in fact does hurt them. I've been in that situation. Also, they are probably concerned about you, granted you are not doing this to die, I completely understand that but this still isn't the right way to cope with things. It's not healthy, you can get infections, cut to deep, etc. I really suggest that you speak to an adult about this so that they can get you help!

I know that it can be annoying, but they really do want what's best for you. Maybe try and let them support you through this and let them help you! Best of luck!

all i want is a place to call my own and
mend the hearts of everyone who feels alone,
woah,
you know to keep your hopes up high and your head down low.

<3

(#3 (permalink)) Old
George^^ Offline
Hi :D
Senior TeenHelper

Name: George

Re: Why do other people care? - March 2nd 2012, 07:34 PM

They care because they care about you. Put yourself in their shoes, Someone you love very much is physically harming themselves, and they could get infections, they could cut too deep, there is a lot of things that could happen. Wouldn't you care too?

And, I agree with xxprincessxx

I've said it once, I've said it twice, I've said it a thousand fucking times
That I'm OK, that I'm fine, that it's all just in my mind
But this has got the best of me, and I can't seem to sleep
It's not 'cause you're not with me, it's cause you never leave

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Dr.Bobby Offline
Psychologist
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Why do other people care? - March 2nd 2012, 09:58 PM

Corinne, the much more important question is why YOU don't care.

People care b/c they love you, people care b/c they have a different perspective, people care b/c it feels better to do that....try any and all of the above and let them care for you back. It's a wonderful experience, giving and receiving care. It might help you.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: Why do other people care? - March 3rd 2012, 12:09 AM

Hi there.

Honestly? Not everyone will care. But there are people who do care. Like us, we care and people who you don't know will care because as humans, the majority of us are caring, it's a instinct to do so. And of course, it's a hell of a lot harder for people like your partner because they love you, your boyfriend loves you and cares about you. Just because you are not hurting them, doesn't mean that what you do to yourself, doesn't hurt them. It's emotionally draining to see someone you love hurt themselves because you want them to be happy, to love themselves and you don't want them hurting so badly, they feel the need to self harm. It makes it worse that we have no control over what our loved ones do because it makes us feel like we can't protect them. And it's hard, it's really hard.

I don't know what is going on for you right now but if you want to talk to us then we're always here for you. You're not alone so feel free to shoot me a PM of anything if you need anyone, or make a new thread or even reply to this one. You're worth more than self harm, so look after yourself.

Keep your chin up,
Jessie

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Name: Christina

Re: Why do other people care? - March 3rd 2012, 03:09 AM

Why do they care?
They care because they love you. They care because you do not deserve any of what you are doing to yourself and they can't see why you have to do it.
They've never been there, they've never self harmed, so they do not get it but they still have a right to care, they love you and care because they want to see you happy and not hurting yourself.
You do not deserve or have to hurt yourself at all, you can stop self harming.
I know it is not an easy task, but I care and so does everyone else in your life.
Try to think like they do for a second, they probably are panicked that they will find you really hurt one day and who would want that?
Sure, self harm is a way that you are coping, I get it, I understand self harm completely, but it is not positive and you really should get help for it.
Let the people that care about you be there for you and help you, let them do something for you, even if that is listening to you, let them and take the help they may offer. You will be glad they cared one day, you will look back and think to yourself how great it is that you have people that care and will be there for you.

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."

Closed Thread