TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Boobear Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Sara

How do you know you have stopped? - March 7th 2012, 09:34 PM

How do you know when you actually have overcome SH? Is it after an amount of time, or when you don't really think about doing it anymore?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
MadPoet Offline
You're the Original <3
Outside, huh?

Name: Amanda.

Re: How do you know you have stopped? - March 7th 2012, 09:44 PM

To be honest I don't think you ever do. You subconsciously make the decision every single day. The urge never goes away, it just reaches the point where you don't notice it anymore. That's my opinion, at least. Once you are addicted to self harm, it's like any other addiction. When you're an alcoholic, you don't just stop being one simply because you don't feel the need to drink anymore. It's still a decision you make every day, whether or not you want to hurt yourself. It's a constant battle. It doesn't go away; it just gets easier. After awhile it won't be a difficult decision to make, because you train yourself to make it. It becomes instinct. I don't know if the urges become less frequent, or you just learn to ignore them. I haven't self harmed in about a year, but it still doesn't always feel like my battle with it is over. I don't hurt myself anymore, but there are still some times when I feel the need to. After awhile you get better and better at ignoring those urges. It's not about them going away, it's about you learning to handle them.

A lonely soul in a land of broken hearts

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Suki

Re: How do you know you have stopped? - March 12th 2012, 08:53 PM

I have to agree with the post above, I've been struggling with this off and on for years, and it truly is an every day decision. Some times the urge has hit me out of nowhere, and I have to swallow it down and it is very difficult, or for a while, if it weren't for the scars I can hardly remember wanting to do those things. Eventually, like said above, you get better at ignoring it, or responding to the things that have made you self-harm with more healthy behaviors(which very from person to person). Anyways, I know I will always wonder if/when it will be a problem for me again.

Closed Thread