TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
MusicMaker
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: May

Unhappy Why Do I Bother Covering Up My Scars and Cuts - March 13th 2012, 02:49 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of self harm, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

So I've been cutting for almost three years and trying to stop. However I really want to tell someone so maybe they can help and understand. However I am really shy and feel very embarrassed, selfish, and stupid about what I do to myself. I would cover the scars and cuts on my arm with a bandanna or bracelets and eventually I tried not wearing them and see who would notice. I was hoping one of my friends would question and I could just come out and explain. That's what I want to do so it's like they found out on their own. But, I will go to school with t-shits on showing my scars and no one notices. It make me feel even worse that no one out there is looking out for me. Even my mother and sister don't notice. I go back to the longs sleeves and occasional bandanna when it's nice, but now I wish I didn't have to worry about what I wear everyday.
It's really hard when it comes to sports because I have to change in front of all these other girls and I have to hide in the corner changing so no one see's the scars on my thighs, stomach, shoulders, and wrist. And it's even more uncomfortable when my cuts up and start bleeding through my shirt, but still no one notices and even if they did would they frickin' care?

We're all damaged in our own way. Nobody's perfect. I think we are all somewhat screwy, every single one of us.

~Johnny Depp

(#2 (permalink)) Old
xxprincessxx Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Sammie

Re: Why Do I Bother Covering Up My Scars and Cuts - March 13th 2012, 03:25 AM

Hey,

I remember being in the same situation a few years back. I felt the same things (shame, embarresment, stupid, etc.) but the thing is you don't have to feel any of these things. If you want to wear short sleeves and don't care to much about people noticing, then don't worry about it. I used to try and cover my scars but I got to the point where I just gave up caring who saw, they're a part of who I am, they tell a story of survival. Just try looking at it from a different prespective.

Also, if you really want to talk about it, I say go for it! Talking about it is such a huge and great step! It will help you overcome so much. I know what it's like to be extrememly shy and to be scared to tell anybody but I think it would be great if you could manage to get the courage up to do so. If you ever feel the urge that you have to tell somebody I suggest you do that right then, a lot of times that's when most of the story will spill out. If you can't get yourself to do that maybe you could write them a note, e-mail them or text them about it. It's worked for me in the past!

I don't think that they don't notice you or are looking out for you but sometimes people really don't notice scars on people. And if they do they might not question it or know how to approach you! Maybe you should let people know so that they can support you through this difficult time in your life!

Keep hanging in there and stay strong!
If you ever want somebody to talk to, feel free to send me a PM! :]

all i want is a place to call my own and
mend the hearts of everyone who feels alone,
woah,
you know to keep your hopes up high and your head down low.

<3

(#3 (permalink)) Old
FuturesEnd45 Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Why Do I Bother Covering Up My Scars and Cuts - March 16th 2012, 08:56 AM

I agree with princess, i saw my friend had cuts on her wrist i got so scared i was afraid to ask her. You should talk to people so you dont feel alone in this because you dot have to be.Stay strog
  Send a message via AIM to FuturesEnd45  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Why Do I Bother Covering Up My Scars and Cuts - March 21st 2012, 01:06 AM

I can relate, dear.
When I was in highschool Id hide them all the time. I PE and sports, Id wear sweats instead of shorts. No one found my behavior iffy. Eventually, I ended up not caring who saw my scars/cuts because theyre ME, and I shouldnt hide them.
No one noticed.
A few months later, I was called up to the therapists office because people reported my scars. No one confronted me, but rather reported my harming behind my back, to teachers, staff, any adult. Maybe no one is doing/saying anything to your face, but mentioning it to teachers. If thats the case, enough reports and youll be called up to the office.
It may feel like no one cares, but maybe one one notices? They dont scrutinize your body, so unless its like a HUGE dark scar, they may not notice.

Bottom line here though is if you want people to care, go talk to a counselor or something. Theyll for sure help you and support you.

Take care love xx

Closed Thread