TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Yuffie6192 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Please its a habit... - March 15th 2012, 01:35 AM

I am 14 and i have been cutting since i was nine. it started out as just small slits but over the years it has been getting worse. my older sister did it and i learned from her. she is 7 years older than me. now when ever i get mad my first thought is to grab a knife or razor blade... ive also recently started burning... i have been bullied my whole life. girls naturally hate me because guys are attracted to me... they get jealous and call me ugly... i try to ignore them but i end up cutting. and then going out with the guy they lyke. i dont know what to do but i need help stopping. its to the point where the cuts are very deep...

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Rosy

Re: Please its a habit... - March 15th 2012, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuffie6192 View Post
I am 14 and i have been cutting since i was nine. it started out as just small slits but over the years it has been getting worse. my older sister did it and i learned from her. she is 7 years older than me. now when ever i get mad my first thought is to grab a knife or razor blade... ive also recently started burning... i have been bullied my whole life. girls naturally hate me because guys are attracted to me... they get jealous and call me ugly... i try to ignore them but i end up cutting. and then going out with the guy they lyke. i dont know what to do but i need help stopping. its to the point where the cuts are very deep...
Have you ever heard of the Butterfly Project? It's where everytime you feel the need to SH, you draw a butterfly on the place where you usually cut with a sharpie or a marker or a pen. Name the butterflies after people you love very much. If you SH, then you kill the butterfly. If you have multiple butterflies and you SH even once, then you kill all of your butterflies. You have to let the butterflies fade away naturally, too. You CANNOT scrub them away. This works really well!

I hope this will help you. Please PM me if you need to talk, okay?

Be like the birds: sing after every storm.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
confusedpuddle Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Please its a habit... - March 15th 2012, 01:55 AM

Hey
I'm sorry to hear you have to deal with this, I'm glad you can understand why these girls are being horrible to you and so you should just try to take the upper hand and keep reminding yourself that what they say isn't true, they really are just jealous of you! Jealousy makes us do terrible things.
SH is very difficult to deal with, suddenly it seems like the only way of coping, it's a refuge you seek when things get too much. Do you have anyone you could talk to about this? I'm not sure if you have a good relationship with your sister or not but it might be worth trying to talk to her about your SH and asking if she'll help you seeing as she will have gone through the same thing. It's always good to find somebody who you can open up to and turn to when you feel the urge to SH, whether this is a family member, friend, teacher or counsellor.

If you need someone to talk to then I'm willing to listen!
Asking for help is always the best move to make
Stay Strong <3

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Jovial. Offline
Skittles Minion.

Senior TeenHelper

Name: Trish

Re: Please its a habit... - March 15th 2012, 03:57 AM

Hey there,

I just want to explain a little something about self harm. When you start, it becomes a very addictive cycle. Asking someone to give up self harm is sometimes said to be equivalent to to asking an alcoholic to give up their alcohol. I am here to tell you though, that you can beat this. You just have to find someway to get your mind off the thought of harming yourself. You need to find a distraction. Here is the thing. Thoughts can be changed, but triggers can not. You have to distract yourself until it's merely a thought and you are not triggered. We have an entire list of alternatives that you can try. If one doesn't work don't get discouraged. Every single one may not work for everyone. So just keep trying until you find one that works.

I am sorry that you are being bullied. Is there anyone you can tell? If these are kids from school, maybe try a teacher? or an administrator? These kids do not have the right to make you feel like this. You deserve to love yourself for you. Since everyone is special, and that means you too.

I wish you luck. <3

I don't care if the world knows what my secrets are
LHO|PM|VM
  Send a message via Yahoo to Jovial.  
Closed Thread