TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Redangel1992 Offline
Average Joe

Name: Alex

Unhappy Scratching and Pulling my hair out :( - March 15th 2012, 06:06 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of self harm, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Hi all, not sure where to start if i am honest,
I am 19 years old, Dont speak to my parents or siblings, ome frm a very broken home, living now (after 2 days) with my partner)
I have away had emotional issues and dont know what to do about them, i am on aunti-depressants after a chat with my GP, but i think i am addicted to scratching y skin until it bleeds and also i pull my hair out i run my fingers through my hair and pull my hair out i dont know what started it but i do it in most day to day situations, i pull my fringe out alot too, also i scratch my skin with my finger tips until i bleed to get rid of tension and feel more comfortable but its also now like a habit, i have tryed to stop but i dont know what else to try i have tryed so many different things to try and stop but when im in an uncomfortable situation or even when i dont know what to say i do it, can anyone help as i feel like im the only ne, and dont know what to do, i scratch my skin until i bled then have this uncontrolable urge to scratch more this started about 18 months ago now and will not go away as i keep doing it, i freequently play with my hair it doesnt matter if it is down or up i will still pull at it and more often than not pull it out i dnt know what to do or if anything else can help, i am open to help and suggestions, thanks
Red x

(#2 (permalink)) Old
DiafolEternal Offline
The EverChosen
Average Joe

Name: Craig

Re: Scratching and Pulling my hair out :( - March 16th 2012, 02:17 AM

Ring the doctors ASAP tomorrow and talk to them about it. Hopefully they can arrange for counselling and hopefully that will help. You know im here for you if you want to chat and will do all i can to help things get better same as you help me

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
SM13 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Scratching and Pulling my hair out :( - March 16th 2012, 04:29 AM

Hey Sara I'm so sorry that you are going through this. It is so hard and often takes over your mind and body. As above stated please seek help from a doctor or psychologist or if you are totally against that then a trusted adult. I started out scratching but after a while you have to go deeper and deeper to get the same rush the same feelings that your body has become addicted to. When you are in pain your body releases some sort of "happy chemicals" to try to mask the pain. When a person harms themself their body starts to need the pain induced "happy chemicals" to cope with situations or to just make yourself feel good even though the feeling is short lived before you feel worse than before your self harmed which makes you want to do it again. It is a horrible cycle.

I would try to resist the urges (as a recovering cutter and current hair puller I understand how absolutely dependent one becomes). But recovery will take strength and determination. For me it helped to have a list of inspirational quotes (if you would like I can send you my list) also try making a list of reasons that you need to stop harming yourself. I have tried stopping multiple times but have finally decided that quitting is my big goal before summer (I want my scars to fade ad much as they can). It is impossible to quit unless you get to the state of mind where you not only realize it is harming you physically and emotionally but that you also want to stop..not for your friends or anybody else: stop for you and you alone.

I have found that trying to stop cutting and hair pulling at the same time is too big of a challenge and that I became overwhelmed and always caved in. I would suggest to start off trying to quit scratching (it is the most dangerous of the two and is often a stepping stone to cutting) first. Then once you feel comfortable not needing to do that then try to tackle the hair pulling. I have been almost 2 months with no cutting and am close to trying to stop hair pulling.

It is a long brutal process but is well worth it. You won't have to cover up anymore and you will be free. Your life and actions and thoughts won't be consumed by self harm. I wish you the best of luck and am here for you if you ever need anything like a person to talk to or help or advice or just somebody to rant to or to make you laugh. You are not in this alone. When people work together they encourage eachother and can conquer the battle against self harm. Good luck and I know that you can do this
~SM~

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Redangel1992 Offline
Average Joe

Re: Scratching and Pulling my hair out :( - March 16th 2012, 10:17 AM

Thank you hun, could you send me that list please it sounds like it can help, its also nice to know i am not on my own as thats how i felt lonely and upset and didnt know what to do or who to talk to, thank you again and i hope to hear from you soon x

(#5 (permalink)) Old
SM13 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Scratching and Pulling my hair out :( - March 16th 2012, 12:25 PM

I sent you the list in a PM Welcome to teenhelp! I'm glad you cane here for help. It's really helped me. Also does your partner know what you are struggling with? It would be helpful because then she/he could help you and subtly point out when you are doing it to help you stop. Just a suggestion that helped my. When my bf (now ex) would see me doing it he would just put his hand on my arm and I'd know I needed to stop doing that.

Best wishes!
~SM~

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Redangel1992 Offline
Average Joe

Re: Scratching and Pulling my hair out :( - March 16th 2012, 02:07 PM

yes Reddevil18 know hun as i love with him although he does help me alot i just cant seem to stp

Closed Thread