TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
~Lost and shattered~
Average Joe

Name: Lia

Unhappy I did it again... - April 3rd 2012, 03:48 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of self harm, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

But this time it wasn't asdeep... but at this moment in my life i don't think i can stop... it brings my stress down, (i guess) and there's plenty of that right now... i don't know what to do

4/26/2012 quote of the day at school:
"Someone called me dellusional
and i nearly fell off my
unicorn"
-unknown

"You only get to
be yourself once,
it would be a shame,
it would be a fucking
shame if you didn't
give it your all."

-SlyFoxHound

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Everglow. Offline
Did you miss me?
Outside, huh?

Name: Hollie

Re: I did it again... - April 3rd 2012, 05:02 PM

Hey, Lia,

I'm glad you're coming here for advice on your self harm, I understand it takes an awful lot of courage to reach out to people who you don't know very well, so I'm proud of you for doing that. I understand that you feel it may bring down the stress, but that's not really the case. Self harm is a temporary solution to problems which require a lot more attention than that. Dealing with stress can be done far more effectively and minus the injuries to yourself which you don't deserve. What kind of stress is it you're experiencing? Is it something which can be supported by talking to people around you who you are close with? Someone, for example, such as a teacher would be able to offer you good ways to deal with large amounts of work and give you tips on time keeping and maybe ways to make sure you don't get overwhelmed. That's just an assumption though, and who you talk to could be dependent on your situation.

I want to let you know that you can always stop. I understand how difficult quitting something which you have relied on for so long is, and I don't expect it to be simple at all. Anything which you have come to rely on for a period of time will be hard to go without, however it's not impossible. People have done it, and many more will. There is nothing to say that you will not be one of those people and I have every hope that you will be. If you haven't already, it would be worth taking a look at the self harm alternatives that TeenHelp has put together to help people, such as yourself, who are struggling with the urges it brings. So take a look at them, and try them out. Not all of them will work for you, bare that in mind, but it doesn't mean that none of them will, so if you come across one, or even more, that doesn't help, don't be put off and keep looking for the ones that do help. Maybe even going through the list searching for one that is useful will keep your mind off of the urges! (Click here for the alternatives)

I hope this has helped. If you ever have any questions or want to talk you're welcome to PM me and I'll always be happy to help you in any way I can. Remember, you are in control, and while things may seem so bad that you need self harm, you never do. Self harm is not as strong as you are, and it's certainly not the answer to your problems. It will, chances are, make things a lot worse and give you something extra to stress over - something which you clearly don't need to be dealing with right now!

Chin up, you can get through this!
Hollie.

❤ Nana ❤
1953-2016

As far as we can discern,
the sole purpose of human existence
is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
- Carl Jung

(#3 (permalink)) Old
~Lost and shattered~
Average Joe

Name: Lia

Re: I did it again... - April 4th 2012, 03:04 PM

there is no one i can talk to... i have looked at the alternatives... if acupuncture brings down stress why doesnt cutting???

4/26/2012 quote of the day at school:
"Someone called me dellusional
and i nearly fell off my
unicorn"
-unknown

"You only get to
be yourself once,
it would be a shame,
it would be a fucking
shame if you didn't
give it your all."

-SlyFoxHound

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Kindred Offline
You can handle anything
I've been here a while

Name: Eyeliner Failure

Re: I did it again... - April 4th 2012, 04:48 PM

Hi Lia,

The difference between acupuncture and cutting is that acupuncture is a medical procedure, and is carried out by people who are trained. The needles are sterilized, and everything is carried out in a safe environment, so there's much less risk. Cutting can lead to infection and blood loss, as well as lots of other negative health effects, none of which are good. You don't deserve to hurt Lia, even if you can't see that now.

Are you sure there's nobody you can talk to? I know you might not want to, but it could really help you. You don't deserve to have to go through this Lia, especially not alone. Anybody who you trust and who you think can help is a good person to tell. They'll be able to support you, and help you deal with stress in more healthy, positive ways. Have another look at the alternatives thread- I know a few of them might not work for you, everyone's different after all- and try and find a distraction or alternative that works for you.

Don't forget, we're always here to help you. You're never alone

Take as long as you need.

Closed Thread