TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
i_like_black Offline
Awesomesauce.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Jess

Just an enquiry. - April 7th 2012, 10:52 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of self harm, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Hi.

Well about three weeks ago whilst in hospital, I cut. These cuts were considerably deeper than my usual and had to be sutured, they considered stitches for one but because it had been a couple of hours decided on sutures instead.
(What they called "sutures" were these sticky strip things used to pull the skin together.)

Anyway that's not the point. Point is, I have noticed as one of them has healed, considerably discomfort in the tendon of my wrist. So I've damaged the tendon.

I was wondering how long it takes damaged tendons to repair themselves. Because this is rather an inconvenience. Or if anybody else has accidentally injured tendons in the past and knows what to expect.
I've sprained an ankle before but this is different.

Any information would be helpful. Thank you.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Muse Offline
As eloquent as an elephant.
Average Joe

Name: Jessica

Re: Just an enquiry. - April 7th 2012, 04:08 PM

Hey darling.

To my limited knowledge, it takes a reaaaaally long time for tendons to repair themselves without surgery. And they will only heal if they're basically casted because every time you use that tendon, all progress is lost because of rupturing of the wound.

If you're worried that you've cut this tendon, you need to see a doctor. I'm glad you got help (and sutures) -- very responsible. Now take a little more responsibility and fix this part, too.

SH is never the answer, though I'm sure you don't need a lecture. Just remember that it is completely psychological and you can find other psychological ways to deal with the pain you must be feeling.

Feel free to PM me if you need or want to talk about any underlying issues that would have caused this issue.

Take care! <3

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: Just an enquiry. - April 7th 2012, 05:05 PM

Hi there

I think it's great you went and got help that you needed and I'm glad they steri stripped your cuts. When you were in hospital, I assume they tested the tendons by asking you to move you arm, wrist, fingers etc. I know they did this to me when I've been for self harm. I assume if they thought it was serious, they would have advised you on what to do etc and sometimes people need surgery for tendons but like I said, I'm sure this would have been brought up at the hospital so hopefully it will just heal over time. Have they actually told you you've done this damage or are you assuming? If you're assuming I suggest you see a doctor just to be safe that you haven't done any damage.

I also just wanted to let you know that you're not alone and we're here for you if you want too talk to us or anything. I know this is hard for you right now but things can get better and you don't have to fight it alone. Let people in and keep fighting, you can do this.

Look after yourself,
Jessie

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

(#4 (permalink)) Old
i_like_black Offline
Awesomesauce.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Jess

Re: Just an enquiry. - April 8th 2012, 03:06 AM

Hey.

I'm just assuming the damage has been done, as although the cut itself has healed to merely scar tissue, I still experience pain when I move my wrist a certain way.

Hospital did not ask me anything about moving my wrist etc. as I still have the full range of motion - also they were more concerned that I managed to get a sharp blade onto the intensive care psych ward. :whist:

I think I'll ask my psychologist about it at my next appointment, although she's no expert in injuries she may be able to tell me a little more of what's going on. Quite possibly because it was a lot deeper than normal it will heal differently. I'm not sure.

Thank you for your input anyways

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Bibliophile Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Just an enquiry. - April 8th 2012, 10:39 AM

Hey Jess,

Just to say I've had a similar experience with mine. I personally put it down to bruising but it's still a little tender when people touch it and this is after a few months. I'd strongly recommend you get to a doctor and have them look at it, although I doubt it's anything too bad as you still have movement in your hands.

I hope this helps a little.

Closed Thread