TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Self Harm If you or someone you know is struggling with self harm and needs advice or alternatives, we're here to help.

View Poll Results: Does there have to be a reason precipitating self harm?
Yes, there has to be a reason. 9 50.00%
No, there does not have to be a reason. 4 22.22%
I am not sure. 5 27.78%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
i_like_black Offline
Awesomesauce.
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Jess

Does there have to be a reason for SH? - April 10th 2012, 11:48 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of self harm, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

So I saw my psychologist today and essentially was told there has to be a reason for self harm. Self harming for the sake of self harming is not, apparently, a reason.

I disagree with my psychologist on this as I see self harm as an addiction. But I was wondering how many of you think there has to be a solid reason for self harm?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: Does there have to be a reason for SH? - April 10th 2012, 12:38 PM

Hi there

Personally, I don't think I have ever come across someone who just self harms because they feel like it. Often, from what I have seen, there has been an underlying issue. Whether that's a mental health illness (depression, PTSD etc) or sometimes, as a 'one off thing' due to stress of things like school work etc.

I do agree with you that for some self harmers, for example someone who has been through a traumatic experience, may start using self harm to cope with their feelings etc, but even after they've done work with a mental health professional and can cope with the traumatic experience, they might carry on self harming because it has become an 'addiction'.

I hope this makes sense,
Jessie

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Does there have to be a reason for SH? - April 10th 2012, 05:31 PM

Even when people view self-harm as an addiction (which, for the record I do) there is still a reason for it. Just like with any other addiction there's a reason behind it. It's usually physiological in nature when dealing with substances (brain changes, avoiding withdrawl etc). Or it can be psychological as in using it to cope with psychological pain. People don't do things for no reason, but that doesn't mean that you know what the reason is, sometimes it becomes unconscious for you and you have to analyze it on your own or with a professional to understand it. That's why it can be hard to stop, because until you deal with the reason behind it, you will still want to do it.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#4 (permalink)) Old
MadPoet Offline
You're the Original <3
Outside, huh?

Name: Amanda.

Re: Does there have to be a reason for SH? - April 10th 2012, 06:03 PM

There is always a reason. I think that sometimes we begin self harming, and after we start we lose track of the reason why we started in the first place, and it feels like we simply want to hurt ourselves, and there's no underlying reason why we do so. But when we start, there is always a reason. It may become an addiction, as said above, but there is still a reason we started, and still a reason we continue. Sometimes you have to really think about it, and try to remember why you started. Maybe if you can figure that out, then you'll see why you have continued.

A lonely soul in a land of broken hearts

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Kumagoro Offline
Formerly ChaosControl
I've been here a while

Re: Does there have to be a reason for SH? - April 10th 2012, 09:21 PM

I personally think there is always a reason, but the person self-harming may not be aware of what it is. If someone does it, finds it helps them cope, and continues to do it, it might just help them deal with emotions. That's just as much a reason as anything else, in my opinion.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Hypothesis. Offline
Not significant.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Re: Does there have to be a reason for SH? - April 11th 2012, 01:39 AM

I think that there is a reason why someone self harms. A person needs a reason to start self harming to begin with, and that's when it starts to become a physical addiction. First people use it to cope with the things in their life that are bothering them, but then they do it because it becomes an addiction. When they self harm, though, they still have a reason to do it, they just might not be sure of the reason just yet.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Disappearing Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Does there have to be a reason for SH? - April 11th 2012, 01:50 AM

In my opinion, everyone has a reason why they do it. They're not always the same, and it may be underlying, so they don't know what it is or don't think it's a good reason, but it's still there.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
aftershocks Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: jess

Re: Does there have to be a reason for SH? - April 11th 2012, 02:04 AM

I think there is a reason most of the time, the person just may not be aware of it, or not sure what it is, exactly. Or maybe for a while, there is a reason, but then it just turns into need.

DAY AFTER DAY, GIVE ME CLOUDS AND RAIN AND GRAY. ♥

Closed Thread