TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Disabilities Living with a disability, either physical or mental, can be both challenging and life changing. For support, questions and discussions relating to disabilities, post here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Kristina:) Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Kristina

Dyslexia - May 20th 2012, 08:07 PM

I have really bad dyslexia and it gets really bad during exams/ neer exams to the extent that when I'm reading the exam paper I can't understand an word and the word will be something simple like and. I was wondering if anyone else had the same problem?
  Send a message via MSN to Kristina:) Send a message via Yahoo to Kristina:)  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Re: Dyslexia - May 20th 2012, 09:09 PM

Hi Kristina,

Welcome to TH!!
I do not have dyslexia so I cannot say I relate at all to this however I'm sure someone will reply here that can relate in some form to what you are going through.
Are you looking for advice on how to deal with this problem or just an idea of how many other people on TH are going through a similar experience to you?
If you are looking for advice, I have a couple of questions.
First, do you have accommadations through your school to help with tests and other school work such as extended time, your test being read to you, an audio version of the test if a reader is not available or other accommadations?
Since you are having trouble reading the exam maybe having someone read you the exam could help so that you can be sure to not have so much difficulty. Also having extended time can help you so that you have time to read through everything on the exam/test, process what the questions are asking and answer the questions.
Also, if you have these accommadations do you use them as much as you need to?
I know for me, I have a disability as well, I sometimes do not want to use my accommadations and I sometimes feel like I am the only one with these sort of different circumstances when really there are other people all over the place with the same accommadations and requirements.
It can be hard asking a teacher if you can use your accommadations but it is essential and necessary for you to use whatever you need to get through your school work and the teachers cannot deny you the right to use them as long as they are available to you.
I hope I've helped and you can PM me if you ever need anything.

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker

I can't get enough

Re: Dyslexia - May 20th 2012, 09:31 PM

Sometimes for things such as exams you can have someone read and write for you, I had someone write my exam answers for me when I went onto college (UK college). I have not had the problem with dyslexia but due to other dissabilites (dyscalculia, as perges, ADHD and dyspraxia) my school allowed me extra time during exams, and then at college I had a writer and reader and was also given extra time. Maybe ask your school about whether or not having a reader and a writer and extra time ?

BADGER BADGER BADGER.........MUSHROOM!!!
Videos team
, articles team and helplink mentor and associate live help operator.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Dyslexia - May 21st 2012, 01:52 AM

If you can read and write properly weeks before an exam, then I think it is stress-induced.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#5 (permalink)) Old
SM13 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Dyslexia - May 21st 2012, 04:09 AM

I have bad dyslexia too. I went to a species dyslexic school for two years because I couldn't read and everybody else could. I'm a very slow reader and like you get to where I can become dysfunctional during exams. At my school I applied for extended time on all my tests and quizzes and exams. I get time and a half for all of those kind of things. So say I have an hour long English exam, I'll get an hour and a half to do it. It helps me a lot and takes the time pressure off. It also gives me time to rest my brain in the middle of it so that I can sort of take a quick "recharge" to finish. This could probably help you and other dyslexics. I know I wouldn't be able to pass my classes without it. I hope that you find something that works for you. It can be frustrating because nondyslexics don't understand it at all. If you ever want to talk about this or anything else feel free to PM me and I'll get back to you ASAP. Good luck and try to keep your head up!

Best wishes!
~SM~

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Kristina:) Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Kristina

Re: Dyslexia - May 21st 2012, 07:33 PM

I get extra time and use a computer but my school don't have much else they can offer :/ because there isn't much funding for them. I was really only wondering if I was the only one because I don't really have any friends who are dyslexic. Thanks for the advice though, I'll ask for more help
  Send a message via MSN to Kristina:) Send a message via Yahoo to Kristina:)  
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
zumbaqueen2012 Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Dyslexia - May 23rd 2012, 08:53 PM

Hi,

I just wanted to add that I'm dyspraxic. I got extra time for my exams. Me and the other kids who had similar difficulties did our exams in a different room from the rest of the pupils. As much as this may seem that we were "singled out" a bit, I find it helped as I could concentrate more in a room with less people in it.

I also had friends with dyslexia, dyspraxia etc who had a scribe or a reader, who read the questions for them, or wrote the answers while the pupil dictated what they wanted to say in the answer.

Speak to your school, sometimes you dont actually know what they have until you go and find out.

I'm incredibly interested in dyslexia, dyspraxia etc, so do feel free to message me if you ever want to talk about it.

Good luck with your exams.
  Send a message via MSN to zumbaqueen2012  
Closed Thread