TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Disabilities Living with a disability, either physical or mental, can be both challenging and life changing. For support, questions and discussions relating to disabilities, post here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Does anyone have any autism spectrum disorders - July 1st 2012, 09:50 PM

Hi all, so I want to work with kids who have autism. I am trying to learn as much about autism as I can, including more about peoples personal experiences with them. You can PM me or leave a message here. Thanks

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Ella.x Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Ella

Re: Does anyone have any autism spectrum disorders - July 3rd 2012, 06:06 PM

I don't have an Autism Spectrum Disorder, but my little brother does and I work with adults with Autism. Generally, I find that changes in routine can cause a lot of stress and anxiety. Also, everyone who I've worked with has quite severe Autism and they all rock back and forth - I've heard that it causes a release of serotonin, but I don't know if that's true. I do know that with the people I know, it is comforting to rock back and forth. If you have any specific questions, just pm me.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
zumbaqueen2012 Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Does anyone have any autism spectrum disorders - July 3rd 2012, 07:32 PM

Hi there

I dont have an ASD but I have had a few friends who have and have worked with a few children who have had as well.

It's quite a broad area to cover as everyone is quite different so do PM me if you need any information on a particular scenario or topic.
  Send a message via MSN to zumbaqueen2012  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Does anyone have any autism spectrum disorders - July 6th 2012, 07:30 PM

Yeah Ella, I have enough of my own/knowledge with autistic kids that I am quite familiar with change in routine being an experience that can cause al lot of stress for autistic kids. I only work with kids though. But yeah I have books that I've been poking through to learning more. I am familiar with the basic stuff but yeah

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Cutie7519 Offline
Love & Death
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Kate
Location: In my happy place, where happiness lives forever more.

Re: Does anyone have any autism spectrum disorders - July 7th 2012, 08:02 AM

Yes and no.

I don't have any ASD but I do have ADHD/ADD but my niece has ASD and she isn't really serve, as she has the high functioning of it. She is hard to handle and is quiet smart. But she does have the issues with grabbing herself in between the legs and she also blurts a lot things outloud before thinking.

"It's easier to run, replacing this pain with something numb, it's so much easier to go, than face all this pain here all alone."- Linkin Park, Easier to run

"When the nightmares take me, I will scream with the howling wind." Owl City, Lonely Lullaby

(#6 (permalink)) Old
zlfnb Offline
of course she's screwed
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Zola LeBlanc

Re: Does anyone have any autism spectrum disorders - July 7th 2012, 11:09 AM

Well, I have ADHD, which I've heard is an autism spectrum disorder. I also potentially have aspberger's, but don't ask me to much about that one.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Does anyone have any autism spectrum disorders - July 7th 2012, 05:45 PM

No, I have ADD too and it is NOT part of the autism spectrum disorder. They're just sometimes kinda lumped together I think because they can affect similar areas such as a the persons social skills but WHY a person is affected is different and how to handle it is different, but they're not like depression or something where a persons MOOD affects their life, it's the overall hardwiring of the brian that causes ADD and autism to be similar but NOT similar cause ADD is it's own thing not on the spectrum.... Erm... Does that make sense?? But I think there ARE a lot of cases with autistic kids who also have ADD...

(#8 (permalink)) Old
zlfnb Offline
of course she's screwed
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Does anyone have any autism spectrum disorders - July 7th 2012, 07:46 PM

I was actually told by a psychiatrist that it was... Weird. Hmm, anyways...

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Does anyone have any autism spectrum disorders - July 7th 2012, 10:17 PM

That's the first time I have ever heard that.... ADHD is a pretty big deal, and it is NEVER included on the common disorders for ASDs (which are usually autism, aspergers, rettes syndrome and PDD-NOS)..... It's not the same, check out autismcanada.org its all about the disorders, and will probably help you understand WHAT autism is better and if you find out more about ADHD, then you might realize why it's different and why I am so sure that ADD is not on the spectrum, plus for kids with ADD, their attention span and how hyperactive they are (or not... its w/ and w/out the H) and that's the biggest problem and autism is a sensory processing disorder which directly affects social skills and stuff..... Because I have ADD I can understand the disorder on a personal level AS WELL as knowing about the disorder on a research lever.... If you wanna PM me I can explain to you better ... Though, I only know about these 2 disorders (plus a bit about depression, anxiety, and bipolar disorder), but since I am looking to work with autistic kids I am hoping to hear more about personal experiences cause all I really know for certain is what shows up on paper and the few kids I met while volunteering, but the spectrum is so wide, it is great to know how it applies to as many people as possible

(#10 (permalink)) Old
zlfnb Offline
of course she's screwed
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Does anyone have any autism spectrum disorders - July 7th 2012, 11:11 PM

Well, out read the first time I even heard that, so maybe the shrink was just off their rocker.

Both my cousins and my aunt have aspberger's, and I've been told that I probably have it, so I have a little bit of am idea.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Does anyone have any autism spectrum disorders - July 8th 2012, 02:10 AM

Well, ADD/ADHD and ASD's get put into the same general category, like I said before, cause they fall into a similar category of disorders, so that may be what your psychiatrist meant... You shouldn't sweat it to much though . Have you officially been diagnosed with Aspergers or not?

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker

I can't get enough

Re: Does anyone have any autism spectrum disorders - July 8th 2012, 06:02 PM

I have asperges syndrome which is on the autistic spectrum. I find it hard to understand jokes and understand how people feel and when to tell that I boring someone with what I am talking about, I also take things very literally.

BADGER BADGER BADGER.........MUSHROOM!!!
Videos team
, articles team and helplink mentor and associate live help operator.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
TDCommando Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Riley

Re: Does anyone have any autism spectrum disorders - July 13th 2012, 12:01 AM

(I'm not exactly sure how to work this thing, I'm new here) Yeah I have asperger's syndrome. I do well in school (don't mean to brag but I sometimes do better than my brothers ), but I have no idea how to socialize and I am always quiet at school and people either make fun of me or avoid me and I also take things too literally... I do feel some bits of depression and a lot of anxiety

Last edited by TDCommando; July 13th 2012 at 12:04 AM. Reason: forgot some stuff

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Does anyone have any autism spectrum disorders - July 13th 2012, 12:14 AM

So Riley and Nostalgia.... It's mostly social stuff you two struggle with?

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Imafrendly Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Joshua

Re: Does anyone have any autism spectrum disorders - July 14th 2012, 10:44 PM

I have mild autisim and maybe a pinch of asburgers. i also have adhd, I know how you feel :3

Push for tommorow!

Send a message via Skype™ to Imafrendly 
  (#16 (permalink)) Old
Siren❤ Offline
Average Joe

Name: ILH♡

Re: Does anyone have any autism spectrum disorders - July 16th 2012, 10:09 AM

I have Asperger Syndrome; It mostly affects me with not quite always getting when somebody is joking. I can also read too much into things sometimes. I think it gets annoying for the people around me (especially as I seem to be behaving especially weird right now), but luckily everyone is very understanding.

(#17 (permalink)) Old
Wildflower2009 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Whitney

Re: Does anyone have any autism spectrum disorders - July 17th 2012, 03:07 AM

It is suspected that both my boyfriend and I have high functioning forms of autism. My bf also has ADHD, and I have numerous anxiety disorders. We are fully independent. Im in college, and my bf works. We also have a precious 2 year old son!
Like most people with ASD, I struggle with social situations. Most of the time I am very quiet, but when Im around people I know and love I can be very talkative and social, but I sometimes say the wrong thing and my sense of humor can be a little off. And I have always had problems with the way things feel against my body. When I was younger my grandmother would turn my socks inside out because I hated the way the seam felt against my toes. And for the last few years I have worn a tank top under all my shirts. Its my solution for the way shirts feel against my skin.
My bf does the rocking thing when he gets really upset or stressed. He would also beat his head against the wall when he was younger, but I have know him for a long time and have only seen him do it once.

Closed Thread