TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Disabilities Living with a disability, either physical or mental, can be both challenging and life changing. For support, questions and discussions relating to disabilities, post here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
franz1 Offline
Out of the box thinker
Junior TeenHelper

Name: brady shaw

Moved home and regret it! - July 21st 2012, 01:08 AM

Sorry I haven't been on in so long

Anyways I was diagnosed type 1 diabetic in early march. In may I moved back in with my mother in south Dakota.(I was diagnosed in Springfield Oregon) I have to say I regret it. I love her to death but..idk

I mean I want to go back to school. But because I've had a hard time in school due to me beig legally blind and now a diabetic. Well she feels mainstream isnt an option because she says the school here won't provide for me and that I don't need help. She says that if I can read my phone, I can do school work and read whiteboards and stuff. But I can't but it doesn't seem to matter to her. And now that I'm a diabetic it's even mOre difficult!!!

So I've been out of syringes and insulin and almost out of test strips for the past 8 days. She doesn't think it's a big deal! Even though my blood sugar is riding in the 200's and up. She doesn't think I'm a tote 1 but the
Exocarp records were lost in the move and insurence change over. So she wants to take me to a doctor before we get anymore supplies but the jinsurence is being slow on a docto. And I dot feel I can take the ogtt again as I failed it the first time!! And it made me really sick.
I have asked her numerous times to help me with carb counti g but she never does . And when doing a bolus for food she grilles that any diabetic she has seen never adjusts their insulin for what they are eating! Which is not true but you can't tell her that because she went to medical school a while ago but things have changed!!!!!! I'm feeling like shit and havig high blood sugars and she doesn't seem to care!! She keeps gripping oh you don't need insulin... So I had some friends send me some money ti get the supplies I need. Well I got t. And just like my social security money didn't see it. She spends it on other things. And like the $200 I just got she wants to use it on a car loan payment that she took out... I didn't take it out so why should I have to pay it???! And her new car I used some of my money when I got here to put a down payment in. Never saw that no dey back and she wants to sell it now. I wot see that cash either.....

She gripped when I contacted jdrf to try and get help and like today I received a welcome package from them she walks through the door and goes oh well your. I tactic people behind my back again???? She knows I'm out of supplies for diabetic needs but it seems she doesn't care.

What can I do here?? I need advice and I can't talk to her about it be ause she is always jumping me when I talk to her about it. Like this 200 I got today she wants to use to put a car loan payment funded and the light bill and stuff...again money I can't use to get supplies for my diabetes..what can I do??

Helen: I'm someone who has chosen to embrace the broad spectrum of our reality.

​“Levity helps keep far more insidious things at bay.”
Dr. Helen Magnus, “Sanctuary For All”
SANCTUARY

“Feeling safe is something we all need.”
Dr. Will Zimmerman, “Sanctuary For All”
SANCTUARY

“We learn more from failure than from success.”
Nikola Tesla, “END OF NIGHTS” PART II
SANCTUARY

“Life without purpose isn’t… life.”
Will Zimmerman, “PAVOR NOCTURNUS”
SANCTUARY
  Send a message via Skype™ to franz1 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
........Hi
Not a n00b

Name: Veronique W.

Re: Moved home and regret it! - July 21st 2012, 09:05 PM

I am so sorry! I feel kinda sad now.
You need to tell your mother that you really need that money. You need to tell her its a life or death situation, and that the car loan can wait.

PM/Email me at ilovemusic10101@aol.com.
Just email me if you wanna chat or need any help.

Just take a chance and don't ever look back

Why do you hurt me and treat me like you do? What have I done to deserve this from you? Would you do the things you do if you were me and I were you?
  Send a message via AIM to xXForgive&ForgetXx  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Ella.x Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Ella

Re: Moved home and regret it! - July 22nd 2012, 12:11 PM

What your mum is doing is denying you life-preserving medicine, you have every right to contact CPS if you wanted to. Is there any way you could go to a free clinic with your mum whilst waiting for the insurance? Maybe you could ask the doctor there to explain to your mum about diabetes and how important it is for you to have your insulin? It seems like your mum may only be willing to listen to medical professionals. Are there any schools in your area that could offer a learning assistant, or someone who could sit with you in class and help by reading the whiteboard for you?
Where were you living before? Were things better there? If they were, it might be an idea to look into moving back there.
I really hope things can work out for you.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Re: Moved home and regret it! - July 23rd 2012, 01:59 AM

Hi,

Your mom not letting you get your medicine is neglect. She is denying you medication you need to live and you have to contact other organizations as mentioned before such as CPS to get help for this. You need the medicine to live and as harsh as it sounds, your mom needs to know that sometimes we have to sacrifice other things we may view as important such as a car payment for things that are ultimately and obviously more important and valuable such as your life. This is known as prioritizing and in this case it shouldn't take to much to figure out that your medicine should come first.
I am not sure how old you are but you can get some help through the school.
Has your mom looked in to it or is she just assuming the school will not help you? Schools have to provide services to their students that have documented disabilities such as diabetes and being legally blind as a symptom of the diabetes.
A really great place to contact and to get help from would be the closest office to you of the South Dakota Comission for the Blind and Visually Handicapped. Their website is here
They can offer you many services for being legally blind and can also provide some assistance for medical expenses if necesary however that is on a case by case basis and once you are connected with a vocational counselor from them you will be able to discuss this farther and ask any questions you may have.
I would recommend calling them and asking them for information and checking if you can be supported by them.
If your eye doctors office or your regular doctor have you documented as being legally blind, the Comission will need to have a copy of that documentation sent to them as proof of your legal blindness so they can provide services to you. You can get the information to them by calling your doctors office and requesting it be mailed or faxed (fax is usually better because it is quicker and that means they can work with the forms quicker) From my experience the comission works well with things sent electronically better than mailed because everything nowadays is so electronic it sort of is there prefference even though they do accept mail.
There are other services available to you to help with your legal blindness and if you are wanting to know more about what organizations there are you can let me know in either a PM or VM. I have a rather large knowledge of what is available and who it is available from. I can't say I know everything but as someone who has received services due to blindness for a majority of my life I can say I will do my best to either find or direct you to a place to find as useful of a place for information as I can.
I hope I have helped.
Take care.

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."

(#5 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Julia

Re: Moved home and regret it! - July 23rd 2012, 03:35 AM

Wow=( I'm so sorry hun. I've never been in a situation like this, nor do I know anyone who has. But I think the people above me have posted wonderful advice for you. I don't really know much more to add. I think going to a free clinic would be great if there is one in your area. To not have your medicine sounds very dangerous to you so I think no matter what, you gotta get yourself some help. Even if your mom does not approve. I'd take yourself to a doctor of some sort tomorrow if you can. The longer you wait, the worse it may get. Also is there some sort of County hospital in your area if the free clinic doesn't work out? Just take whatever is available to you. Anything is better than nothing. Hopefully once you go, the doctors can tell your mom how serious the situation is and how she really needs to help you. Hopefully that will prevent it from happening anymore. Hope things get better for you=( Always here.

Closed Thread