TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Disabilities Living with a disability, either physical or mental, can be both challenging and life changing. For support, questions and discussions relating to disabilities, post here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Ohsnaphey Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Emie

LD and ADHD - August 30th 2012, 01:19 AM

Well I guess I just wanted to share me lol

So I have LD (a learning disability) and ADHD. I use to not take medication for my ADHD but coming to college I really felt like I needed a little help focusing and I use it when I feel like it'll be a stressful full day. My LD makes it harder for me to read and write, I can and I do well but there are some words that I cannot pronounce or write for the life of me!

I have trouble remembering especially names lol and when taking notes if they teacher keeps talking I'll lose my concentration and sometimes my notes are only half written because I'll really blank. But Vyvance really does help, although I'd be more proud to say I'm fine without it I also feel like I can focus a LOT more.

So anyone have either of these? My LD is caused my an audio mess up in my brain so I hear words differently and so I spell them as they sound. BUT I'm not deaf I promise!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: LD and ADHD - August 30th 2012, 07:09 AM

I have both ADHD and I take Vyvanse as well it helps me most of the time somedays it doesn't work as well, do you get that? ( inattentive type) and LD ( visual processing disorder, which is the opposite of what you have) and dyscalculia ( math learning disability)

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Name: Ivan"Chandler" Brown

Re: LD and ADHD - August 30th 2012, 08:34 PM

Nope, I don't have eather one or at least haven't been diagnosed with eather one. I have a feeling that I eather have ADD or ADHD. But untell I get it diagnosed by a doctor i'm saying no and hoping for the best.

I'll miss you grandma more then you'll ever know. I know your being taken good care of. I will never forget you.
5/20/1950??-4/1/2013
  Send a message via AIM to Brighter.than.sun Send a message via MSN to Brighter.than.sun Send a message via Yahoo to Brighter.than.sun Send a message via Skype™ to Brighter.than.sun 
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
OmNom Offline
Green Candy Eating Cutie
Junior TeenHelper

Re: LD and ADHD - August 30th 2012, 08:45 PM

I have ADD. I took Vyvanse for a year and a little bit, it really helped but it randomly stopped working... Now Im on Intuniv <-- Awesome

PM me if you need anything Except ice cream. I never share my ice cream

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Wildflower ♥ Offline
Soakin' up the way of life
I've been here a while

Name: A Team

Re: LD and ADHD - August 30th 2012, 11:23 PM

I have both ADD and an LD, so I know how you feel. I am on Daytrana and have been on Daytrana for 5 years. What helps a lot though, is getting accommodations. Have you tried talking to the disability support service people at your school? Like I have worked with mine so I get permission to tape/record lectures, get another students notes or the teachers notes if possible, and other accommodations, I highly suggest taking the time to talk to your counselor about accommodations because they will more than likely help you thrive in college with your ADD and LD.

Send a message via AIM to Wildflower ♥ Send a message via MSN to Wildflower ♥ Send a message via Skype™ to Wildflower ♥ 
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
OmNom Offline
Green Candy Eating Cutie
Junior TeenHelper

Re: LD and ADHD - August 31st 2012, 12:43 AM

^Also extra times on exams = awesomely helpful.

PM me if you need anything Except ice cream. I never share my ice cream

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: LD and ADHD - August 31st 2012, 01:41 PM

Ok first of all, if you live in Canada, and I think countries such as the US and Britain and Australia likely have similar programs others probably have it too, you can get accommodations that will help you focus/study. Most schools have a place with people to deal with that. Ex. They can make it possible so you can get your books in audio-book form, or in ebook form. And you can get extra time on exams, which would probably be a bonus since you'd probably need longer to read and write and such.

Also, I have ADHD, I have taken Adderall and Concerta in the past, but I've also had problems with anxiety which I feel like the Concerta made worse. Not to mention, my thing with the medications is that, sure, it SHOULD make you focus more, but that won't make you focus on the right thing. Like I could take my Adderall and instead of focusing on my school work like I intended, I might over focus on like knitting or reading a novel or something. What was best for me was finding outlets, like I plan to have extra time for studying cause if I need 3-4 hours total for a day, I need to take breaks in those hours, so it might be like I study for half an hour before school, an hour or so after, go off, have supper, and study for an hour or 2 before bed. Make sense? Stuff like that helps. Plus, I find working out helps me, I get even more distracted and anxious feeling when I haven't been active as much as I should be. I don't have recommendations for the LD, I don't have issues with reading/writing, but I could carry on for how to adjust with having ADHD

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

Closed Thread