TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Disabilities Living with a disability, either physical or mental, can be both challenging and life changing. For support, questions and discussions relating to disabilities, post here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Nakita

Question Is anybody else ADD, MPD, Bipolar? - October 24th 2012, 03:40 PM

I found out 3 years ago that i'm Bipolar. I have known that I am ADD or attention deficit disorder since i was in the 4th grade. Then a few months ago I found out that i might have MPD or multiple personalities disorder. What is your opinion on these disorders? Does anyone else have MPD? or suspect that they do?

"Stop acting like you know what I've been through, you know nothing until you've actually lived every moment and felt every ounce of pain that I have."

"Someone asked me if i missed you, I just walked away then I whispered, so much" I'll miss you forever, Vernon and Charlene.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bWrL...eature=related

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Re: Is anybody else ADD, MPD, Bipolar? - October 24th 2012, 04:13 PM

Well…. There are a few things I need to clarify as you have a few outdated references. ADD is no longer diagnosed in America and is no longer considered its own mental illness. It sort of merged into a sub-sect of ADHD. So… that needs to be looked into by a medical professional. The only problem with that is that ADHD can only be officially diagnosed to those under the age of seven. Again, something you will have to talk to your doctor about.
Also, MPD is an outdated term; multiple personality disorder is now referred to and has been for some time as DID or Dissociative Identity Disorder. So if a medical professional told you they thought you had MPD I would highly question their credentials. Now, DID is a highly controversial topic, there are a lot of medical professionals out there that do not feel it should be considered a real disorder. So, once again, I highly recommend you get a second opinion on that one.
Honestly, it’s in your best interest to seek a second opinion on everything you have mentioned here. When was the last time you spoke to your psychologist or psychiatrist?

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Wildflower ♥ Offline
Soakin' up the way of life
I've been here a while

Name: A Team

Re: Is anybody else ADD, MPD, Bipolar? - October 24th 2012, 07:50 PM

I was diagnosed when ADD was still a diagnosis, but of course now my diagnosis is ADHD, Lizzie is correct. ADHD is the umbrella diagnoses and then there are little spokes of ADHD, as in ADHD with out hyper-activity, ADHD with hyper-activity and more. I've had it since I was 7/8.
I don't really talk about my bipolar with others unless they're really close to me, but I do have bipolar disorder as well.

Self diagnosis is never a good thing, for you can't say you have the disability or disorder until you see a doctor, so if you are trying to self diagnos yourself, I highly suggest speaking to your doctor about your thoughts before you actually convince yourself that you have these disabilities/disorders.
As we are not trained professionals, I highly suggest you speak with your doctor.

Send a message via AIM to Wildflower ♥ Send a message via MSN to Wildflower ♥ Send a message via Skype™ to Wildflower ♥ 
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
FixYou♥ Offline
I can't get enough

Name: taylor

Re: Is anybody else ADD, MPD, Bipolar? - October 25th 2012, 03:56 AM

I have bipolar disorder, yes. I also most likely have DID, checking into that one. I haven't been diagnosed with ADD, but my therapist suspects it. However, yeah. Its ADHD now, and that is what I have been diagnosed with. A branch of it.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Is anybody else ADD, MPD, Bipolar? - October 25th 2012, 08:22 PM

i haven't talked to a psychologist since 4th grade.

"Stop acting like you know what I've been through, you know nothing until you've actually lived every moment and felt every ounce of pain that I have."

"Someone asked me if i missed you, I just walked away then I whispered, so much" I'll miss you forever, Vernon and Charlene.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Is anybody else ADD, MPD, Bipolar? - October 25th 2012, 08:25 PM

then in keeping with the times i'm ADHD, DID and Bipolar. I have been ADHD since 4th grade. my mom always suspected I had it since I could walk and talk. And the DID was discovered by myself and my school counselor. And the Bipolar was discovered by my best friend who also has it

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Re: Is anybody else ADD, MPD, Bipolar? - October 25th 2012, 08:31 PM

Well, your counsellor nor your best friend can diagnose you with anything, even if they have the disorder. Everyone here's advice is going to be to see a mental health professional like a psychologist or psychiatrist. But, be aware, like I said before not all mental health professionals believe in DID. So, a second opinion might be necessary if you think you really have it .

~Blessed Be~

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Re: Is anybody else ADD, MPD, Bipolar? - October 25th 2012, 08:50 PM

Hi Nikita,

Lizzy is correct; your friend and counselor are not able to diagnose you.
If you are very curious about whether or not you have these disorders/diagnoses, definitely check with your mom about talking to a psychiatrist or psychologist. They are the only people that can diagnose you, counselors and therapists are able to provide support, suggest diagnoses, refer you to psychiatrists or psychologists and help you cope with any challenges you have.
Your friend may have ADHD however just because you have similar ways of acting or you have similar feelings etc., that does not mean you have ADHD or any other disorder. There are many factors in making a diagnosis and a psychiatrist can help you determine, through some sessions and gaining a lot of information about you, whether you fit the criteria or just need help getting through life and sorting out some things you struggle with.
You can ask your school counselor, or have your mom look into possible psychiatrists you can meet with if this is something you really want to look into.
Also, do not be discouraged or upset if you do not get diagnosed, not everyone fits diagnoses and needs to be diagnosed.
Hopefully this has helped and you can PM me if you ever would like someone to talk to.

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Is anybody else ADD, MPD, Bipolar? - October 27th 2012, 03:29 PM

There is ADHD with hyperactivity and ADHD without the hyperactivity, it's a weird classification system, but the merger is fairly recent, so a lot of people who don't have the hyperactivity side usually just call it ADD still, it doesn't necessarily make it wrong, it's just that they've merged it with ADHD and classify it differently. And actually, Lizzie when you say:
Quote:
The only problem with that is that ADHD can only be officially diagnosed to those under the age of seven.
I think you must have mis-spoken by accident? They don't ONLY diagnose under the age of 7. In fact, unless a child have severe ADHD they usually DON'T diagnose until a child is 6 or over because a lot of young children are hyper and don't have long attention spans. For example, I was officially diagnosed with ADHD at the age of 15 during high school. Now, even my mom realizes I did show signs of having ADHD at quite a young age, but I never got into trouble (not unusually at least) and I got good grades so it wasn't like my behaviour was concerning, and I feel like sometimes it's easy to let it go if things are going good for a person in concern. It's not like things were going bad in high school (and even still, what kid doesn't think high school sucks? Exactly. Loads of us thought high school sucked) it's just that at that point I was old enough to have the self awareness to notice the chattiness, the fidgeting, the day dreaming in class etc. etc. meant something...

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Odyne Offline
The Goddess Of Pain

Regular TeenHelper

Name: Lucy

Re: Is anybody else ADD, MPD, Bipolar? - October 27th 2012, 10:06 PM

I think you should go to the doctor. Self-diagnosis is never a good thing.
You can tell your doctor what you think you might have.

All the best from Lucy

private message & visitor message
I'm here for you, if you need to talk.

I am beginning to measure myself in strength, not pounds. Sometimes in smiles.
Laurie Halse Anderson, Wintergirls

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Is anybody else ADD, MPD, Bipolar? - October 28th 2012, 06:08 PM

How many of these things are you officially diagnosed with? If you were diagnosed with ADD in grade 4 that would explain why they would still be using that term still. But in any case, if you believe you may have a 3rd disorder I agree you should go talk to a doctor. Mostly because it is possible you only have 1 disorder, not 3 (or even just 2) and you should have a proper diagnosis in any case. Especially because you can use the accommodations for stuff. PLUS if you do have multiple disorders and you take medication, these multi disorders can affect the meds you are given. So yeah. Talk to a doc/psychologist/psychiatrist.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Is anybody else ADD, MPD, Bipolar? - October 29th 2012, 05:41 PM

i have been officially diagnosed with ADHD and Manic Depressive (bipolar).

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Is anybody else ADD, MPD, Bipolar? - October 29th 2012, 11:33 PM

Ok... Well, as someone who also has ADHD, you can always PM me about that. I am reasonably familiar with other disorders, but the only other disorders I understand in any large capacity are ones like autism, and non-verbal-nes, deafness/heard of hearing, etc., but still...

And yeah, you should ask for an evaluation of all your disorders. It might be helpful to reevaluate/evaluate (for the new one)

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Regular TeenHelper

Re: Is anybody else ADD, MPD, Bipolar? - November 5th 2012, 02:13 PM

thanks darling.

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Re: Is anybody else ADD, MPD, Bipolar? - November 5th 2012, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumble bee View Post
There is ADHD with hyperactivity and ADHD without the hyperactivity, it's a weird classification system, but the merger is fairly recent, so a lot of people who don't have the hyperactivity side usually just call it ADD still, it doesn't necessarily make it wrong, it's just that they've merged it with ADHD and classify it differently. And actually, Lizzie when you say: I think you must have mis-spoken by accident? They don't ONLY diagnose under the age of 7. In fact, unless a child have severe ADHD they usually DON'T diagnose until a child is 6 or over because a lot of young children are hyper and don't have long attention spans. For example, I was officially diagnosed with ADHD at the age of 15 during high school. Now, even my mom realizes I did show signs of having ADHD at quite a young age, but I never got into trouble (not unusually at least) and I got good grades so it wasn't like my behaviour was concerning, and I feel like sometimes it's easy to let it go if things are going good for a person in concern. It's not like things were going bad in high school (and even still, what kid doesn't think high school sucks? Exactly. Loads of us thought high school sucked) it's just that at that point I was old enough to have the self awareness to notice the chattiness, the fidgeting, the day dreaming in class etc. etc. meant something...

The only thing that is a bit wrong is the fact that the new DSM (5) will be changing the onset of symptoms before the age of 7 to the onset of symptoms before the age of 12. But since the DSM 5 is not out yet, physicians will still be using DSM 4 and the age of 7 criteria. Now, not all countries use the DSM, so it just depends where you are. In the US we use the DSM.

Hope that explains the confusion.

As for the OP, I think you get it, you are going to have to talk to a doctor to get all of that sorted out.

~Blessed Be~

(#16 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Is anybody else ADD, MPD, Bipolar? - November 6th 2012, 03:17 AM

I'm Canadian. And they're NOT going to refuse to diagnose you simply because your disorder wasn't present in early childhood is all I was really meaning here. Like different environments can draw out different qualities, like a lot of girls who have ADHD won't always be noticed as having it at a younger age because they tend to be more like day dreamers and such as opposed to being the stereotypical hyper rowdy inattentive boy type (adjust stereotype accordingly). Like I was VERY chatty and bouncy and was more the daydreamer type, but I was quieter at school (shyness i think?) so no one really noticed because, like I said, I didn't show up with qualities that really concerned anyone, it wasn't until high school that it became more of a challenge.... So I think you can try to develop a model that'll detect ADHD early, but I don't think it'll be some hard and fast model that works 100% of the time, rather it'll just be a frame work for psychologists to work with.

(#17 (permalink)) Old
walk around in O O O O
Not a n00b

Name: Lucky/Lux

Re: Is anybody else ADD, MPD, Bipolar? - November 9th 2012, 08:44 AM

My advice is this: don't be too quick to label yourself.
While definitions can be comforting, they can also be very limiting, and if you really want help then talking to a health care professional is going to be your best option: saying that you're bipolar/ have DID/ have ADD or ADHD isn't going to change how you feel. Neither will an official diagnosis... but speaking with a health care professional will probably be the best way to begin dealing with all that you're going through.

If you're going to let someone tell you what you do or do not have... then that person should be a professional, and there should be some general consensus between that and other qualified individuals.

You are wholly unique no matter how you group and define your traits.

Be safe, be well, & best of everything,

Lux

"This cosmic dance
of bursti
ng decadence and withheld permissions
twists all our arms colle
ctively,
but if sweetn
ess can win, and it can,
then I'll sti
ll be here tomorrow
to hig