TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Disabilities Living with a disability, either physical or mental, can be both challenging and life changing. For support, questions and discussions relating to disabilities, post here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
kelseyxpotterr Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Unhappy learning disabily and dyslexia? - October 31st 2012, 11:41 AM

i have dyslexia ever since i was a little kid.
i also have a learning disability, i can't process things fast like other kids.
i'm 17 years old, i'm a senior in high school.
yesterday i went to my class and my teacher called me stupid because i was talking too long on a problem. it offended me & made me cry when i left the class. she didn't know i'm dyslexic or that i have a LD. i've been in RSP classes since 6th grade. (RSP classes are like special ed classes but for learning disabilities) i don't think i can confront my teacher next time i go to class. i'm thinking of changing teachers.

Please help me figure this out.

i would appreciate it.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: learning disabily and dyslexia? - October 31st 2012, 07:02 PM

Honestly? In my opinion your teacher should not be calling any student stupid whether they do or don't have a disability and dyslexia. I think it was completely inappropriate of them. Personally, I would talk to my parents/guardians and chances are they'd bring it up to the school to make a complaint against the teacher to try and ensure it doesn't happen again (to me as well as all the other children in the school) and to discuss about my teachers being informed of the problems having a learning disability and dyslexia can cause.

I hope that makes sense. You're not stupid and I do hope you haven't taken what your teacher has said to you to heart. Don't be afraid to talk about what's going on. Keep smiling

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Re: learning disabily and dyslexia? - November 1st 2012, 12:25 AM

I definitely agree with Jessie here. None of your teachers should be calling any student stupid whether they know that person has a learning disability, Dyslexia or any other disability.
Tell your parents about this and have them contact your school and try talking to a school guidance counselor/head of year/principal, whichever of those your school has so that the teacher can be notifyed that their behavior was not appropriate.
I understand how this may get you upset however do your best to not take it personally, the teacher may have said it without thinking, this does not excuse or lower the seriousness of what happened it is just some people, even adults, do not always think before they say things.

Stay strong and know we are all here for you if you ever need anything.

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Wildflower ♥ Offline
Soakin' up the way of life
I've been here a while

Name: A Team

Re: learning disabily and dyslexia? - November 1st 2012, 06:01 PM

If you are in high school, and you have had the appropriate testing done, your teachers should be aware of your learning disability. As others have said, your teachers should not be calling you any name besides your real name. You are going to have other situations where you are going to have to make sure people are aware of your learning disability. Seeing that it's not the beginning of the school year, your teacher should definitely be aware of your learning disability and it may be a little late to change teachers, but see what you can do. I highly suggest speaking with your teacher.

Send a message via AIM to Wildflower ♥ Send a message via MSN to Wildflower ♥ Send a message via Skype™ to Wildflower ♥ 
Closed Thread