TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Disabilities Living with a disability, either physical or mental, can be both challenging and life changing. For support, questions and discussions relating to disabilities, post here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
scallensworth Offline
Scallensworth
Average Joe

Name: Rose
Location: Somewhere on my own planet where everyone loves me and I don't have problems

Asperger's, Bipolar, anxiety - November 2nd 2012, 08:36 PM

So a while ago I posted about having bipolar, Asperger's, ADHD, and OCD. I have since gotten a couple of opinions on this and have offically been diagnosed with bipolar, asperger's and an anxiety disorder. I was just wondering what kind of advice people may have for me to better be able to deal with this combination of disorders as I have been struggling a lot lately. Thanks!

Love Is All You Need In Your Life And Love Knows No Gender, Race, Religion, Or Age.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
stupidity Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Jeremy

Re: Asperger's, Bipolar, anxiety - November 2nd 2012, 10:03 PM

I have Asperger's and OCD honestly it's who I am. I don't have to "deal" with it because I can't change it, just be yourself.

Sorry if what I said was blunt but it's the truth.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline
Verbal venom.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: Asperger's, Bipolar, anxiety - November 3rd 2012, 03:05 AM

I have major OCD. They said most of my mental health problems are coming from my Asperger's. For my OCD, I just go with all my weird rituals. I used to trick myself into thinking that something bad would happen if I didn't follow them. I'm slowly weaning myself away from it. Is there anything in particular about your Asperger's that I can help you with?

Articles & Resources Officer|Lead Moderator|Senior Newsletter Editor
The mountains are calling and I must go.
1941-2016

Nature does not rush, yet everything is accomplished
-Lao Tzu
Memories made in the mountains stay in our hearts forever
Move the body, quiet the mind

(#4 (permalink)) Old
scallensworth Offline
Scallensworth
Average Joe

Location: Somewhere on my own planet where everyone loves me and I don't have problems

Re: Asperger's, Bipolar, anxiety - November 3rd 2012, 03:33 AM

I have been struggling in particular with the social aspect of asperger's. Not having the correct social and survival skills for my age level is pulling me away from my family because they don't understand and think that I just need to figure it out and grow up. So I've been living off of knowing how to cook french fries, shower, brush my teeth and hair, and get myself to and from school. My family just ignores me or yells at me because I don't have the typical skills of someone my age. I'm also having a lot of issues at school because of the asperger's and bipolar. I've went home 3 times in the past week because of meltdowns or rage or anxiety attacks. I feel so alone and like people always look at me and say "that's the girl who freaked out the other day. She's weird. Let's not be friends with her." and I just don't know how to make people understand that I really am trying but that I struggle because of my disability.

Love Is All You Need In Your Life And Love Knows No Gender, Race, Religion, Or Age.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline
Verbal venom.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: Asperger's, Bipolar, anxiety - November 3rd 2012, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaChick View Post
I have been struggling in particular with the social aspect of asperger's. Not having the correct social and survival skills for my age level is pulling me away from my family because they don't understand and think that I just need to figure it out and grow up. So I've been living off of knowing how to cook french fries, shower, brush my teeth and hair, and get myself to and from school. My family just ignores me or yells at me because I don't have the typical skills of someone my age. I'm also having a lot of issues at school because of the asperger's and bipolar. I've went home 3 times in the past week because of meltdowns or rage or anxiety attacks. I feel so alone and like people always look at me and say "that's the girl who freaked out the other day. She's weird. Let's not be friends with her." and I just don't know how to make people understand that I really am trying but that I struggle because of my disability.
That must be a lot to take in. I have a lot of trouble with speaking, too. I can't hold a conversation very long and I can't present in front of the class. My teachers are very helpful with that. I got a 504 plan, and it really helps because my teachers realize I have a disability. A 504 plan/IEP may be benicifical to you.

As for the food, I basically live off of microwave food or low calorie snacks. (I've got an ED) I think you should just start with more mircowaveable foods, that way you'll get a variety of different foods. As for the cooking, start slowly with easier recipies.

For your anxiety, I think having a stress ball might help you. Lorazepam is a very helpful medication that you could talk to your doctor about. You take it every six hours as needed, and it works to calm you down in fifteen minutes.

For your family, you said they don't understand. Try to make them understand. Sit them down or write them a letter. If that doesn't work, you can speak to your school's guidance counselor or a teacher for help.

As for what people think of you, screw them. I'm always worried about that and it just makes me worse. You're going through hell and those people don't matter. Ten years from now, you won't know them. Just try your hardest to get good grades. If people keep saying stuff like that, (Which they really shouldn't at their age) then talk to an adult because that's bullying. Worst comes to worst, you can homeschool. I'm a freshmen and this is my last year of public school. Because of my disability, I'm going to be homeschooled.

Anyway, I hope I helped. If you need any help or anything, let me know.

1941-2016

-Lao Tzu

(#6 (permalink)) Old
scallensworth Offline
Scallensworth
Average Joe

Re: Asperger's, Bipolar, anxiety - November 3rd 2012, 04:13 PM

Thanks for the help! I have an IEP in place, it just doesn't have much on it and normally isn't followed very well. That is a good idea to start with microwaveable foods. Also to have a stress ball. I'm gonna talk to the teachers at school about the kids who are being mean. Thanks!

(#7 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline
Verbal venom.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: Asperger's, Bipolar, anxiety - November 3rd 2012, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaChick View Post
Thanks for the help! I have an IEP in place, it just doesn't have much on it and normally isn't followed very well. That is a good idea to start with microwaveable foods. Also to have a stress ball. I'm gonna talk to the teachers at school about the kids who are being mean. Thanks!
You're welcome! an IEP should be followed strictly. Make sure your teachers are aware of your condition so they can support you in your education. If you go to Five below- If you have one where you live, go to the sports section and you can get two stress balls for five bucks. They help a lot. I've broken quite a few of them, lol. And yeah, like frozen ones or kraft mac-n-cheeze or whatever. Message me whenever you need to! I'm glad I was helpful.

1941-2016

-Lao Tzu

(#8 (permalink)) Old
scallensworth Offline
Scallensworth
Average Joe

Re: Asperger's, Bipolar, anxiety - November 3rd 2012, 05:58 PM

I will go look for stress balls! lol I'll probably break them too. I need to talk to the special ed teacher at my school about my IEP. Thanks!

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Wildflower ♥ Offline
Soakin' up the way of life
I've been here a while

Name: A Team

Re: Asperger's, Bipolar, anxiety - November 10th 2012, 02:04 AM

That's good to hear you got an official diagnosis. Depending on how severe your bipolar and anxiety is, I would look into getting on the right medication, as that could help a lot

Send a message via AIM to Wildflower ♥ Send a message via MSN to Wildflower ♥ Send a message via Skype™ to Wildflower ♥ 
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
scallensworth Offline
Scallensworth
Average Joe

Re: Asperger's, Bipolar, anxiety - November 10th 2012, 03:59 AM

I have pretty severe bipolar and anxiety. I am doing neurofeedback to help with everything though. I am actually able by docotors orders to get off of my bipolar meds! Then I just have an anxiety med to work towards not using any more. I suffer from major panic attacks as well as OCD so the med I would be getting off of would be the panic one. That is already just an as needed med for when I have panic. I think that with neurofeedback I will be reilived of most symptoms.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Re: Asperger's, Bipolar, anxiety - November 10th 2012, 04:21 PM

Hi There,

It is great that you have gotten a diagnosis and are receiving treatement that helps.
I hope that all continues to become positive for you.
We are all here for you if you ever need us.

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."

(#12 (permalink)) Old
scallensworth Offline
Scallensworth
Average Joe

Re: Asperger's, Bipolar, anxiety - November 10th 2012, 09:53 PM

I hope it continues to be positive too. I know that everyone will be here for me.

Closed Thread