TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Disabilities Living with a disability, either physical or mental, can be both challenging and life changing. For support, questions and discussions relating to disabilities, post here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Stuckinhell Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Sammy

DLA do i have a case to appeal?? - December 15th 2012, 03:54 PM

Hey,
So i've applied for DLA in terms of anxiety and depression.

I've been granted the mobility part, as i'm unable to leave the house alone without extreme anxiety.

However, i've been turned down for the care element. I'm just wanting the low rate. Which is that you need support during the day and are unable to medicate and cook full meals without support.

----Due to my anxiety i am unable to access more medication when mine runs out without support, so often go days without.

---Due to my ED i am unable to motivate myself to eat. I need support in distracting myself not to purge after. I can not go food shopping on my own, so often have no food in the house. The thought of eating causes massive panick attacks.

--- I get so depressed somedays that I am unable to leave my room. I.e i have spent the entire week in my bedroom. A housemate has forced me to have drinks, and brings me up some food- most which is lying around the house.

Do these 3 points seem enough to merit an appeal?

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while

Name: Richard

Re: DLA do i have a case to appeal?? - December 15th 2012, 04:17 PM

For your first point, there are places that deliver medication. Maybe you could look into seeing if that is available in your area.

Are you seeking professional help for these problems? I know here that if you are not actively seeking treatment you will not get approved for anything, while the government is more than happy to support the people who need help it is not it's duty to support people for the rest of their lives if they are not trying to improve on their own as well.
That being said, your problems sound severe, almost to the point where I'm wondering if they're this bad, and you're seeing a professional, why they haven't suggested more intense treatment (like possibly staying in a hospital while you're too depressed to fill your own basic needs).

You can appeal if you want, but I'm not sure what you're expecting to happen. It sounds like you basically want them to provide someone to take care of you. If your mental condition is that bad then wouldn't it be more beneficial for you to actually be in a hospital instead of at home until you find some sort of treatment that deals with these issues?

Member since 2005
  Send a message via MSN to Music  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Stuckinhell Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: DLA do i have a case to appeal?? - December 15th 2012, 04:38 PM

Hey richard. i'm recieving both medical and therapeutic support. What i'm looking for is the DLA which is the financial support, to enable me to get the support i need- such as transport to doctors appointments etc.

Unfortunately the prescription service is even worse for me, as i can't handle strangers coming to my door.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: DLA do i have a case to appeal?? - December 16th 2012, 02:27 PM

I'm on lower rate mobility and higher rate for care. I don't know if you have grounds to stand on but if you appeal you have to nothing to lose so it might be worth doing so. My support worker helped me fill mine in and we sent of doctors letters, an assessment from my psychiatrist and one from my mental health worker. We also sent two social work core assessments as well as an assessment from when I was in a psychiatric ward. Make sure you send as much as you can to provide evidence of the support you need. If I didn't have them to back me up, I doubt I would be getting as much as I am.

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Oldaccount. Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: DLA do i have a case to appeal?? - December 16th 2012, 04:04 PM

Hi there,

As Jessie said, you need to give them as much evidence as possible as to what care you need, so things like reports from the people in your healthcare, reviews, etc. This is so that they know what kind of benefit you're entitled to. I know they have a set criteria in which you need to meet in order to receive DLA and If you are really struggling with things and need help from others on a regular basis then ask those people to write a letter to the DLA about what kinds of things they help you with which may help influence their decisions to give you the extra benefit. I think it's worth appealing if you feel as though you should be getting it.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Wildflower ♥ Offline
Soakin' up the way of life
I've been here a while

Name: A Team

Re: DLA do i have a case to appeal?? - December 18th 2012, 11:30 PM

I feel bad because I don't know much about the UK disability support system. I hope the others who have responded have been able to answer your question

Send a message via AIM to Wildflower ♥ Send a message via MSN to Wildflower ♥ Send a message via Skype™ to Wildflower ♥ 
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
LlamaLlamaDuck Offline
Llama Lover/Skittle Minion
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Louise

Re: DLA do i have a case to appeal?? - December 19th 2012, 03:11 PM

Have you been for an assessment? I was on DLA for a few months while I was in counselling and waiting for CBT for my depression and social anxiety, and they sent me a letter to say I had to go into Glasgow (their nearest base to me) and have a medical assessment. Basically I spoke to this woman for a while about the problems I was having, how they affected my day-to-day life, and how I was dealing with them. A few weeks later I got a letter in to say they felt I didn't need the money, and I transferred over to JSA and started looking for work since I was feeling a lot better.

If you haven't been assessed, you will have to be. That means either going to see them or, if they allow it, getting someone to come and see you. Otherwise they're entitled to stop any money you do have without warning. But, as was said, you've got nothing to lose by appealing. If you feel you're entitled to the benefit, then get any and all evidence you can of this and send it off to them to consider. It's a good idea to photocopy it all first though, and find out if they want copies or originals of reports and such. Always keep a copy anyway, you might need them in future.

Throw those curtains wide
One day like this a year would see me right

We are the rainbow
Or click here for some grovelling.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: DLA do i have a case to appeal?? - December 19th 2012, 05:45 PM

See, when I applied, it said I might need as assessment but I never got called to one. My claim went through in about three weeks and my support worker told me I didn't need an assessment because of all the supporting evidence I sent of.

If you do get called for an assessment, maybe it would be helpful to talk to someone about what you're going to say beforehand to make them aware of what help you need and way. Just so you go in confident knowing what you're wanting to put into it, ya know?

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Stuckinhell Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: DLA do i have a case to appeal?? - December 20th 2012, 02:06 PM

Thanks for teh replies. I have been to an assessment- thats how i recieved the mobility part of the dla.

Speaking to my support workers i've decided to appeal the care element. I am getting written evidence from doctors/therapists/councillors etc. If i don't get it i don't get it.

Fingers crossed

(#10 (permalink)) Old
here2help Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Grant

Re: DLA do i have a case to appeal?? - December 29th 2012, 12:43 PM

I would say that you do have grounds for appeal and the best way to progress would be with the support of drs/therapists. When you fill out DLA forms you have to write about what it is like on a bad day. If you require support at night due to panic attacks etc and there are on average 2 or more each requiring someone's help for 10 mins + that could push you up to medium. Obviously you can only say what actually happens. The whole thing is marked with points on a matrix, so get someone who is used to filling out the forms to help you.

Closed Thread