TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Disabilities Living with a disability, either physical or mental, can be both challenging and life changing. For support, questions and discussions relating to disabilities, post here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Regular TeenHelper

Name: jen

mental - December 26th 2012, 03:34 AM

I have ADHD and people laugh at me

just done...
  Send a message via Yahoo to I love my baby Forever Send a message via Skype™ to I love my baby Forever 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: mental - December 26th 2012, 12:52 PM

Hey there,

I am sorry to hear about this; kids can be so mean sometimes. Have you considered talking to an adult about what is going on and see if they can help you get this situation figured out? It might help if you consider joining some clubs at your school as well. If people get to know you better they might become more understanding. Are you seeing a counselor for your ADHD? If not that might be something to consider because a counselor might be able to help you come up with some tools to help manage you ADHD. Also, a counselor will give you someone safe to confide in which is always a plus.

Hope this helped and best of luck.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Regular TeenHelper

Re: mental - December 26th 2012, 03:40 PM

thanks so much

just done...
  Send a message via Yahoo to I love my baby Forever Send a message via Skype™ to I love my baby Forever 
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Wildflower ♥ Offline
Soakin' up the way of life
I've been here a while

Name: A Team

Re: mental - December 27th 2012, 11:34 PM

Hey there,
Have you seen a doctor? They can help you get right medication, so when you are at school, it's not so obvious and the ADHD is more controlled, I've been on medication for 12 years now. Also, see if you can get a therapist or even a social skills group cuz I know when I was first diagnosed, I struggled with social skills, and I still see that therapist. They can help you to learn how to start conversations appropriately and how to help control yourself better. Hope that helps.

Send a message via AIM to Wildflower ♥ Send a message via MSN to Wildflower ♥ Send a message via Skype™ to Wildflower ♥ 
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Regular TeenHelper

Re: mental - December 27th 2012, 11:59 PM

what did you get diagnosed with ?

just done...
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Wildflower ♥ Offline
I've been here a while

Re: mental - December 28th 2012, 01:50 AM

With ADD, isn't that what you were asking for help for? It doesn't matter what I'm diagnosed with, we are helping you here. You can't have ADD/ADHD (ADHD is the actual diagnosis these days, back when I was diagnosed, ADD was still a diagnosis, but it no longer is), without a doctor, preferably a psychiatrist, diagnosing you, otherwise it's self diagnoses and you can't really get help with a self diagnosis, not professional help that is.

Send a message via AIM to Wildflower ♥ Send a message via MSN to Wildflower ♥ Send a message via Skype™ to Wildflower ♥ 
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Regular TeenHelper

Re: mental - December 28th 2012, 02:24 AM

I have ADHD

just done...
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Wildflower ♥ Offline
I've been here a while

Re: mental - December 28th 2012, 02:33 AM

And were you diagnosed by a doctor? A psychiatrist? They should have given you medicine to help control it, and if it's not the right medications, then they can help you find the right one, it may take a few appointments, over the course of a few months, depending on the medication.
Also many people who have ADHD, see a therapist, to help with finding ways to interact people that can be found more socially acceptable.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Regular TeenHelper

Re: mental - December 28th 2012, 03:31 AM

diagnosed by a doctor

just done...
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: mental - December 29th 2012, 02:41 AM

If you get the forms that say you have ADHD you can get medications if you feel that this is something that is necessary for you. I used medications for 2-3 years because I was having a lot of challenges in school and my personal life and my concentration just got worse so I just needed something to give me a little extra push. Only for me I feel like the meds just increased my anxiety in many ways even though it helped me with my concentration so I stopped taking it.... But you need the forms (psychological assessment, what ever it's called to you) to be given medications, which is 100% reasonable, like you can't just walk into a doctors office and be like YO give me ritalin/adderall because it does have potential to be really harmful to a person. But it is a consideration. Just wanted to put my say in there since it was the last part being discussed.
Do you know WHY they're picking on you? I know you're saying it is because you have ADHD but is it because they KNOW you have it (ex. you told them now they're all hahahahaha about it) or because you behave in a certain way (symptomatic of ADHD) and they're mocking your behaviour? I'm not saying you should change to impress other people (and if you knew me better, which I realize isn't about to happen in the space of time required but what ever, you'd know that's never something I'd advocate) but if your ADHD is causing you to act in ways that draw attention to yourself in a negative way it might be beneficial to talk to someone about things (counsellor, or ask your doc to refer you to necessary people or go to a guidance counsellor) and they can help you manage it better because ADHD shouldn't have to negatively impact your life. From personal experience I know it can be a challenge but still its manageable.
That being said, I am sorry this is happening to you. It might help for starters if you don't blurt out to anyone and everyone you have ADHD too. I'm not saying you do, I am just trying to cover multiple bases of why people might be picking on you for it. A lot of people have a tendency to stigmatize disorders like that and make negative snap judgements, so that could be why they are making judgements and bullying you for it. So my advice is not to use ADHD as an excuse (ex. don't say you didn't do your work cause you couldn't focus, it doesn't matter if it is true but those kinds of excuses only get you so far) and don't tell every last person you know about it. I don't think it has to be a secret, it's just like so what? Like why do random people have to know about it? I think it is a good rule of thumb to just stop and ask you're self "why does this person need to know about this" before saying it, that goes for a lot of things which just includes things like disorders. It's not that they shouldn't/can't know, it's just that not everyone needs to know everything about everyone else. It might help. Especially if you don't talk about it much for a while around people bullying you--draws the attention away from you right...
I'm having a bit of trouble giving you specific help with this though because I don't know what's causing them to bully you, so if you give me more specifics on why they are picking on you for having ADHD that mgiht help

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

Closed Thread