TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Disabilities Living with a disability, either physical or mental, can be both challenging and life changing. For support, questions and discussions relating to disabilities, post here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Brittany Jackson

Question My parents need to understand it's ok! - February 4th 2013, 06:30 AM

My parents don't like to think about me possibly having ANY mental disorders, but it is really effecting my school work. My doctor and me both beleive I have Social Phobia. Because I am extremely afraid of people. I cannot stand the thought of messing up in front of people. I am not going to go in to detail about all of my symtoms. I just need advice on how to convince them it is ok for me to have certain problems and that it is effecting me. Please help me on this. Any advice?

Brittany

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: My parents need to understand it's ok! - February 4th 2013, 05:19 PM

Hey Brittany, and welcome If it makes you feel any better my parents were the same way. I never got help for anything because I knew they wouldn't consent. I don't want you to do that. The best thing to do would be to talk to your parents or have them talk to your doctor and explain that, if you do have a disorder, it is treatable and if they don't want you to have it anymore then the best thing they can do is allow you to get help for it.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Bem Offline
Hurricane eyes.
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Em

Re: My parents need to understand it's ok! - February 4th 2013, 05:48 PM

Hey Brittany I empathise - my parents refuse to acknowledge I'm not perfect and don't think anyone knows better than them.

If I were you, I'd get your doctor to talk to them? Coming from a professional, it'll be more undeniable, and show that you're not making it up or anything. Hope this helps

I'm perfectly normal; it's the rest of the world that's insane.

"He offered her the world."

"She said she had her own."

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Re: My parents need to understand it's ok! - February 5th 2013, 11:14 PM

Hey Brittany,

Welcome to TeenHelp!
As Katie and Em suggested, you should have your doctor talk to your parents.
If this is your regular doctor, I am unsure if you will be refered to a psychologist or psychiatrist for diagnosis however, having your doctor explain this to your parents would be helpful. News coming from a professional can go a lot farther than that from you, not saying your parents do not trust you, it is just many people like to go with the information they get from an expert over the information told to them from a teen or young adult.
Hoepfully this helsp and we are all here if you ever need anything.
Take care.

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: My parents need to understand it's ok! - February 6th 2013, 08:16 PM

A lot of parents are like this. I have ADHD and I am pretty sure my dad knows this (I have a real psychological diagnosis for it so I don't know how my mom would have gotten away with NOT telling him) and he's said things like how ADHD is a real thing or how people with ADHD are useless/bad/just using it as an excuse. And I'm like uh not really, like it just means I have some trouble focusing, like I am ALWAYS doing other stuff, it drives my friend crazy (he's the only one who's ever said anything is all) cause we'll be watching tv and I'll be doing other stuff at the same time hahaha, I just have to be busy is all.... So it sucks because I feel like my dad thinks having ADHD makes me some how defective or lazy or bad and I'm like no that's not how it works, I don't even think of myself in terms of "oh, i have adhd", it's just not one of my identifiers.... I know some people make it into a big deal but it's not.... I think it's one of those things where to a certain extent you just have to let it go: like don't take offense or be hurt by it any more than you can help. You can always explain to them that you understand that they don't want to accept it but you feel like them at least trying to understand is important on your improving. You could always ask them to come talk with your doctor with you so that he can talk it through with them. You could also look on ways to overcome/cope with your social phobia to let them see your not trying to use this diagnosis as a crutch or an excuse or anything of the sort (ex. lots of people thing ADHD is an excuse to do bad in school--like they should just get away with handing things in late and ignoring the teacher in class cause of it and I am like no that's not how it works)

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

Closed Thread