TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Disabilities Living with a disability, either physical or mental, can be both challenging and life changing. For support, questions and discussions relating to disabilities, post here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
kayla16 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Kayla

Question Insomnia? - February 6th 2013, 03:17 AM

So my mom says I have never been a good sleeper. I'm now 15 and in high school, and sleeping has gotten harder for me. I'm never tired at night when I should be, and if I lay in bed to try to fall asleep I'm up even longer. I'm usually up until 2am then when I do fall asleep, I'm waking up almost every hour and can't get back to sleep. But then in school during some of my "boring" classes I'm always soooo tired I can't focus to get my work done. I've never had like an evaluation on this, but I've read online and I seem to have almost all of the signs on insomnia. I'm pretty sure I'm insomniac so if I was to go get evaluated will they be able to prescribe anything to help me fall asleep? How else can I get to sleep? It's really affecting my grades and I don't want it to continue affecting me. Any tips?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Re: Insomnia? - February 6th 2013, 03:25 AM

Hi Kayla,

If you get evaluated, they will probably prescribe you medication or suggest changes in your life style.
I know something that helps me sleep is melatonin, it is an over-the-counter medicine however, talk to your doctor about it because they may or may not recommend that and you want to always take any advice you are given by them.
Also, not drinking a lot of caffeine, sugary drinks or eating anything with sugar before bed might help.
Staying away from really bright light such as computer screens before bed helps too. Your body determines it needs sleep by it's biological clock that uses light to determine whether it is day or night. When your body notices it is dark for a while, you probably will feel sleepier.
Those are all of the suggestions I can come up with. Hopefully they are helpful and that you can get an appointment so that this can be sorted out so your grades are not continuing to be affected.

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Wildflower ♥ Offline
Soakin' up the way of life
I've been here a while

Name: A Team

Re: Insomnia? - February 10th 2013, 11:00 PM

Hey Kayla,
I highly suggest you see a doctor. They can help you get some meds if need be, and they will also suggest activities to do help you fall asleep more easily.

Send a message via AIM to Wildflower ♥ Send a message via MSN to Wildflower ♥ Send a message via Skype™ to Wildflower ♥ 
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Koharuchan Offline
Skittles Minion
I can't get enough

Name: Haru

Re: Insomnia? - February 18th 2013, 01:04 AM

I also suggest you see a doctor about your insomnia; the doctor will be able to prescribe you some medicine that should help you sleep better at night. Also, I agree with the advice given above about not drinking sugary drinks or being on the computer/playing games at night before bed, it is true that this can keep you awake. Good luck, I hope you're able to sleep better soon!

I love my Big Sleepy Bear.
I still fill my panties; do YOU?
No great artist ever sees things as they really are. If he did, he would cease to be an artist. -Oscar Wilde
Buddy since 12/25/11 Self Expressions mod since 4/23/12 Helplink mentor since 5/9/12 . . . . . .Skittlify.
I was blessed by your companionship from 12/24/01-6/27/13

(#5 (permalink)) Old
frison1313 Offline
Average Joe

Re: Insomnia? - February 18th 2013, 05:28 PM

yes, i suggest you to see a doctor. you can also try to take a camomilla tea before going to bed, it helps

Closed Thread