TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Disabilities Living with a disability, either physical or mental, can be both challenging and life changing. For support, questions and discussions relating to disabilities, post here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Academic Accommodations - February 6th 2013, 05:53 PM

I'm seriously considering going through the process to receive academic accommodations from my school due to vision problems. The thing is that we're in the 4th week of the semester already and the process seems like more trouble than it's worth. I also know that I need new glasses and maybe that will fix the problem. My vision has gotten worse which is why I have never applied before, but I've gone without the assistance for so long that I'm not even sure I need it. It would involve having my eye doctor fill out forms and I'm going to see him soon, I'm just not sure if I want to bother to bring it up to him or not. I'm afraid he's going to look at me funny and wonder what I'm talking about since his patients, besides me, are all elderly. He also might ask me what I think I need and since I've never done this before, I have no idea. My vision is technically so good (above visually impaired by quite a bit) I don't even know if I qualify. I guess it's based on his judgement and not a certain visual acuity since I can't find one listed anywhere. I'm thinking I might just get new glasses and wait until next semester if I still need them since I still have to go in, have him prescribe and then it takes at least 2 more weeks to get them and by then the semester is half over and it's not really worth it. I feel like I'm making this harder than it is.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Academic Accommodations - February 6th 2013, 08:18 PM

No, you aren't making this harder than it needs to be. If you have vision problems you at least need to start with seeing your eye doctor to see about getting glasses and expressing your concerns about it affecting your school. See if getting glasses helps you out and then go from there. Getting glasses might be all you need.

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Re: Academic Accommodations - February 6th 2013, 11:09 PM

Try seeing your doctor about getting eye glasses and then if you find they do not help, you can visit your school's disability services and ask them what accommodations they offer for students that are seeking to get them due to visual impairment.
If you can manage the second half of the semester without the accommodations, then that is great, you will be able to get the forms from your eye doctor filled out over the summer and back to your school for the start of the semester.
You are not making this harder than it needs to be, getting accommadations is a bit confusing because of the school needing proof and the process you have to go through.
Also, there are a wide variety of accommodations that you could receive so stopping into the office for disability services or scheduling an appointment to discuss what is available will be helpful so if your eye doctor does ask about what you think you may need you could have at least some ideas to work with.
Hope this helps and you can PM me if you ever need anything.

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Academic Accommodations - February 6th 2013, 11:36 PM

There's actually a four step process, the first of which is having him deal with the form and the form asks him what he thinks would be appropriate; which is why I'm thinking he's just going to ask me and I'll have no idea.

I wish they would post a list of examples or something. Like I know I can get tests in large print, but I don't need that bad enough to bother because I would have to take the test half way across campus and schedule it 3 days ahead of time and get permission from the professor to take it at a time other than class time because they collect the tests 20 minutes after my class starts which would give me 20 minutes for a 1-2.5 hour test

I'm really looking for a reserved seat in the front of the class after I showed up 10 minutes early (usually plenty of time) in the 4th week and the only seat left was in the last row. If that's all I would need though, it doesn't seem worth it.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#5 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Academic Accommodations - February 7th 2013, 03:10 AM

Why don't you try talking to your doctor about it, explain your concerns, and go from there? I know that the process for receiving accommodations takes quite some time and I would hate for you to wait till next semester to get the process started. If the doctor and you decide that you should wait till you get new glasses than that is fine but at least you will be taking the steps to getting it started and making your doctor aware that this is something that you are interesting in.

I receive certain accommodations from my school and sometimes I use them for a semester and sometimes I don't, depending on the class. I use mine to lessen the stress because I know with some classes I am going to need a note taker, extra time on a test etc. It took quite some time for me to get the process in motion and I got mine initiated straight out out of high school. I know the idea of using accommodations can be intimidating but they can be used to help you.

I hope this helped and best of luck.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Re: Academic Accommodations - February 7th 2013, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate* View Post
There's actually a four step process, the first of which is having him deal with the form and the form asks him what he thinks would be appropriate; which is why I'm thinking he's just going to ask me and I'll have no idea.

I wish they would post a list of examples or something. Like I know I can get tests in large print, but I don't need that bad enough to bother because I would have to take the test half way across campus and schedule it 3 days ahead of time and get permission from the professor to take it at a time other than class time because they collect the tesets 20 minutes after my class starts which would give me 20 minutes for a 1-2.5 hour test

I'm really looking for a reserved seat in the front of the class after I showed up 10 minutes early (usually plenty of time) in the 4th week and the only seat left was in the last row. If that's all I would need though, it doesn't seem worth it.

Would it be possible for you to go talk to the office at your school about what they can offer for accommodations? That way he can help you figure out what you may need when you bring him the form.
Also, maybe you could find something on your school's website about what they offer?
I know it is a complicated process, I had to go through it except the process was a little different because of going from HS to college.
I do not always use my accommodations, but I use them most of the time, some I use constantly and others are just in case I need them (like all of my technology fails and I cannot write, I can have a scribe).
Large print could be worth getting if you are struggling to read the exams. I am not sure how your school works but you should be able to either email them ahead of time about your exam and needing large print or if you cannot email, I know my school has a sheet that students fill out.
I just email my exam times to someone in disability services about a week before the exam so that they can plan for me to take the exam in their office and so they can have a copy of it for me in a format I can use. Instead of having to head to my class I go there. I give all of my professors a letter at the beginning of the semester (from disability services) stating that I receive accommodations, why and they sign it, either give it to me to return to disability services or they give it to them.

The form may ask him what he suggests however, you should be able to meet with them to discuss what you think you may need for accommodations even after having the form filled out.

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Academic Accommodations - February 8th 2013, 01:51 PM

A lot of schools offer note takers, so someone else can send you notes they took in class.

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Re: Academic Accommodations - February 8th 2013, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumble bee View Post
A lot of schools offer note takers, so someone else can send you notes they took in class.

Yes, that is very useful having a notetaker.
I have a class where I have a note taker because I take my own notes however the professor refers to pictures a lot so I find it hard to incorperate what he says about the pictures into my notes since I cannot see them to understand his connections. Also, it helps because then you can combine them and sometimes get a rather nice set of notes from both being pieced together.

Closed Thread