TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Disabilities Living with a disability, either physical or mental, can be both challenging and life changing. For support, questions and discussions relating to disabilities, post here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Digit. Offline
Perfect INTP stereotype
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Jason

Is this how it starts? - February 23rd 2013, 05:31 AM

I think I should put this here...

I have Social anxiety disorder and i've noticed that I seem to be taking in a lot of candy and soda to hyper myself up since I like who I am and how I feel when i'm boucing around making jokes and saying what I think without being nervous and overanalyzing what people think and how they'll react.
Should I be worried about this turning into a substance abuse problem and how would I work on this.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Surreygirl Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Is this how it starts? - February 23rd 2013, 08:50 AM

I have one too, I used to use sugar and sweets. But now I just naturally get high, whenever I get in a social situation it's like a switch flicks. My advice to you is that you should maybe try and stop with the soda and candy as it can easily become a routine. If you try and manage social situations without it, I've learnt that sometimes it's not as bad as you think, maybe start trying to be you without the extra help around a small group of friends? Or just a best friend? And help her/him build your confidence first. If you find you still get nervous then there are some pills that you could try? Such as kalms.. But if that's not an option then that's ok

Good luck

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Catharsis. Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Is this how it starts? - February 23rd 2013, 06:58 PM

Hey there,

I also have SAnD, so I understand why you feel the need to consume something that makes you feel relaxed in social situations. But you really need to stop while you can. It's not healthy to be relying on a "buzz" you get off candy and fizzy drinks to manage your social anxiety. It very well could turn into a substance abuse problem eventually if you get into a habit like this now.

The previous poster gave some very good advice about building up your confidence in social situations. If you're lucky enough to have good friends who understand the disorder and are accepting of the problems you have, they could be a huge help. You could also try some form of counselling if this option doesn't appeal to you.

As for the pills, careful now. You can try medication if you want, but I wouldn't recommend it. I think it's important that you find your own way of overcoming your social anxiety without depending too much on medication. Personally I just don't think one can fully overcome their issues when they rely on other substances to keep them under control, and, in the case of SAnD, it is possible to do it without medication. I wish you the best of luck.
  Send a message via Skype™ to Catharsis. 
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Digit. Offline
Perfect INTP stereotype
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Jason

Re: Is this how it starts? - February 23rd 2013, 08:24 PM

Thank you very much I will definitely try those ideas and I do think my friends will be able to help.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Wildflower ♥ Offline
Soakin' up the way of life
I've been here a while

Name: A Team

Re: Is this how it starts? - February 24th 2013, 11:59 PM

I suggest not turning to candy and soda, while you may enjoy how the anxiety goes away when you are hyped up on sugar, it is not healthy by any means. What I suggest doing though is talking to your parents and counselor about maybe getting you some help. There are social skills groups that you can join, as well as therapy and skills and techniques to help you decrease your anxiety and help you become more comfortable in social situations.

Send a message via AIM to Wildflower ♥ Send a message via MSN to Wildflower ♥ Send a message via Skype™ to Wildflower ♥ 
Closed Thread