TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Disabilities Living with a disability, either physical or mental, can be both challenging and life changing. For support, questions and discussions relating to disabilities, post here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Teddscau Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Robyn

Learning Difficulties - May 22nd 2013, 10:27 PM

Okay, so I couldn't really think of a more appropriate title than that, so whatever. Also this is also going to be long. So anyways, I've been diagnosed with OCD, anxiety, ADD, and Asperger's. My OCD and anxiety are interconnected, so each year, near the end of summer vacation, I start having really bad anxiety, and as a result, OCD. I don't agree with the Asperger's, but anyways, I feel something else might be going on too. So anyways, I have a lot of difficulty remembering verbal instructions or anything with multiple steps. I also have the hardest time remembering "numbers" and letter sequences. Like in math, accounting, phone numbers, etc., at most I can remember is three digits at a time. I've also been having a hard time remembering stuff lately. Sometimes, while I'm asking somebody about something, I'll forget what I was talking about mid-sentence. Like, I can't even remember what words I had said or why I was even talking to them. When I was trying to ask my English teach a question, I completely forgot why I was asking her a question. After five minutes, I finally remembered again, then when I went to ask the question, I forgot again! Then I think I might have began asking a third time and completely forgot why I was talking. So finally, when I remembered again, I started writing it down as fast as I could, but as I was totally forgetting what I was trying to write as I was writing it! I managed to write down my question somehow, despite all this. This was a few months ago, so it's not as bad now.

I went to a psychiatrist to re-evaluate me having Aspergers, and told him about my difficulty remembering things or remembering what people have said. He said it was because I have Aspergers and am uninterested in what others have to say, thus I "forget" (read: don't pay attention because I couldn't care less). What the heck? Given, most of the time I'm ignoring my parents when they tell me I have to do something while they're gone, but dude, I'm seriously paying attention when people are talking to me! Also, the reason why I don't make nonverbal gestures and junk while socializing is because I have difficulty processing junk. And before you say anything, I understand sarcasm (I use it quite well), humour, figurative speech, facial expressions, tone, etc. People say I don't use those things and that I have Asperger's, but I don't think that's the case! When people are talking (or I am), I'm just trying to remember what they're saying and process what they've said! It's like I have difficulty truly hearing them. Like, when I'm driving, if Dad wants me to do something, he has to shout it repeatedly before I'll respond. It's as if I hear him, but I don't, and am unable to understand the fact that he wants me to do something, and to do it whenever it is he's indicating. Oh, my friends, parents, teachers, etc., enjoy my sarcastic sense of humour.

Also, I only make eye contact while speaking to people I know well. My parents and past shrinks say it's because I have Aspergers, and ignore my reasoning behind it. When I was younger (kindergarten to grade 4), I was bullied a fair bit. I stopped making eye contact with other people so things wouldn't get confrontational. You know how omega wolves don't make eye contact with other pack-members because they see it as a challenge or an excuse to be hostile towards them? Well, my reasoning was like that. When I made eye contact with people, that's when they'd start saying stuff like, "What are you looking at?", "Let's throw stuff at her!", or "You're such a loser!". So, that's why I feel uncomfortable maintaining eye contact with people I don't know well. It makes me feel really self-conscious and that they might be judging me.

Also, I'm not obsessed with any stereotypical things like license plate numbers, the dates trains were made, memory chips in computers, etc. Actually, I don't really have any obsessions or things I care about anymore. I don't really enjoy any of the things I used to. I'm not excited about stuff anymore. So, any thoughts on all this? Thanks.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Stacey Offline
BrokenInsanity circa 2004
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Stacey

Re: Learning Difficulties - May 23rd 2013, 12:57 AM

While I can't diagnose or comment on the Asperger's aspect of your diagnosis - though I encourage a second opinion if you feel uncomfortable with that particular diagnosis.
I have studied throughout my degree many aspects of Intellectual Disabilities and Exceptional Learners and things of that nature and I know one thing that came up in numerous classes on the subject was memory in those with diagnoses of an intellectual disability. You've been diagnosed with ADD and this is one of those issues that often reflects memory impairments - it is said it is due to the fact that those with ADD and other intellectual disabilities don't utilize the cues and techniques that other learners do when they attend to a stimulus. Particularly, there is trouble with lists, and remember sequences of things like numbers, names, etc. This is why there is often a part of intervention and support that involves itself with teaching memory strategies, things like mnemonics. The memory issues in my opinion may reflect more so your overall diagnoses rather than Asperger's specifically - but like I said, I am not qualified to say this for sure. It's something you could probably mention to your psychologist, or whoever else you see and see if they feel they have strategies they can teach you to help improve your memory.

"Remember what you're worth
Remember you're worth fighting for
Remember you're not a punching bag
Remember you're not a doormat
Remember you are valuable
Remember you are repairable
Remember you matter
Remember they don't."

-jwh

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Teddscau Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Robyn

Re: Learning Difficulties - May 30th 2013, 09:53 PM

Sorry for the late reply! I quit going to my psychologist quite a while ago, after only a few sessions. I found her annoying as heck. The psychiatrist I talked to during the teleconference said he didn't think that I had ADD. He said my concentration issues were probably just a symptom of Aspergers. I didn't really believe it, so whatever. I've never been taught any memory strategies, I don't think, but even though my short term memory sucks, my longterm is pretty good. In elementary school, I had to memorize bible verses each week, then write them out. I also had to memorize the American map! I also had to memorize the world map. DO YOU KNOW HOW MANY COUNTRIES THERE ARE IN AFRICA!?! So anyways, I found out I'm getting 100% in accounting.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Stacey Offline
BrokenInsanity circa 2004
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Stacey

Re: Learning Difficulties - May 31st 2013, 05:22 AM

Short-term memory may be a result of the diagnosis but honestly, it seems to me that you are pretty confident regardless of your diagnosis and you are doing well for yourself so really? Just screw it.
A diagnosis can be helpful to some but detrimental to others and if it's not doing you any good and it's not causing you or anyone any harm (for example, you're taking medication if you should be) then I wouldn't worry too much about it.
If it's a serious issue, then seek help from a professional, but otherwise you're doing good (just look at your accounting mark!) so don't worry about it.

"Remember what you're worth
Remember you're worth fighting for
Remember you're not a punching bag
Remember you're not a doormat
Remember you are valuable
Remember you are repairable
Remember you matter
Remember they don't."

-jwh

Closed Thread