TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Disabilities Living with a disability, either physical or mental, can be both challenging and life changing. For support, questions and discussions relating to disabilities, post here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
pyrobrainiac Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Gracie

Question Possible MS; Advice? - August 31st 2013, 08:10 PM

(this may be a bit of a long story)

A good eight months ago, my right foot would cramp up randomly for up to an hour. It was incredibly painful, and it took about a month of convincing to get my mom to take me to the doctor. There they tested my reflexes, and my right foot had a Babinski reflex (when the sole of the foot is scratched or scraped, the toes normally curve downward, but in my case they curved upward. The Babinski reflex is normal only in babies) whereas my left foot was completely normal. The doctor was confused, prescribed Vitamin D and Calcium, and sent me on my way.

The vitamins only helped for a little while, and soon my foot was cramping again. I got blood tests done, and it wasn't my parathyroid or thyroid. At another doctors appointment, another one of my reflexes on the right side of my face was off; I twitched when I shouldn't have. Now they think I might have MS (Multiple Sclerosis).

I'm really, really scared. I've looked up the symptoms, and they're not pretty. Given my family's history with autoimmune disorders (my oldest sister has hypothyroidism, pernicious anemia and something else I can't remember), I have a pretty high chance of actually having it. I just need advice. I don't really know who I can talk to about this: everyone in my family has other things to worry about besides me. I told two of my friends, but they didn't really know what to say.

Thank you.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Adam the Fish Offline
The Skittlemeister.
I can't get enough

Name: Adam

Re: Possible MS; Advice? - August 31st 2013, 10:04 PM

Hey there,

I'm incredibly sorry to hear this.
My dad has MS, and I'll be honest, it's not fun at all.

As you're probably aware, it's degenerative and incurable.

Right now, you'll need to get as much advice from your doctor as possible.
In general, keep doing everything you can for absolutely as long as you can. Also do things you'd like to whilst you can, because the nature of MS is incredibly unpredictable in that you can remain at a similar level for years before sudden and rapid degeneration.

In terms of psychological support, there are several things you can do: the most important of these is keeping positive. It might be very difficult at times, but it will make you feel better about your situation if you're as positive as you can be.
Also don't be afraid to talk to family and friends - you do deserve their support and attention!
I'm also around TeenHelp a lot, so if you'd ever like to talk privately for support, definitely feel free to send me a Private Message any time.

Finally, get in touch with The MS Society - they offer all kinds of support.

I can't promise that MS will be easy, but I can assure that it's still possible to live well with it; all my best, and again let me express my sympathy.

Skittlify me up...
Adam the Fish | 26/08/12 | 08/10/12 | 02/12/12 | 09/02/13 | 01/06/13 | 30/08/13 | 25/11/13
...spreading happiness and joy around the Internet!
...well, I try, anyway. .......................
private message.visitor message.profile.email
"May we always remember that we are the rainbow."

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: Possible MS; Advice? - August 31st 2013, 10:09 PM

My father has MS; fortunately for him, it's very minor. But unfortunately, they really don't know a whole lot of what causes it. My dad gets a lot of muscle spasms, mostly in his legs, that can be very painful. He also gets some of the neurological double-vision and used to get more eye twitches and stuff. Obviously, because I haven't had it, I can't go into my personal experience, but I'll go into his medicine stuff since I knew about a lot of that as it developed.

The traditional medicines can really suck. His original medicine, he would have to inject into his muscle and it was very painful. Then, it ended up harming his kidneys to the point that he developed kidney disease and high blood pressure and had to stop the medication. For about two years, he had to go without treatment, and it was pretty painful at times.

If your area has medical marijuana, use it. Now, I am not recommending to do it illegally for more reasons than it just being illegal, so mods, no editing me. But THC in marijuana is incredibly helpful in treating the twitching, spasms, and pain associated with neurological disorders such as MS. Illegal marijuana will not have the correct THC levels to be helpful, so this is not a recommendation to just start self-medicating with illegal drugs. But when you get medical marijuana, they have special marijuana grown for these disorders, and it has proven very effective for my father, much better than his injections ever were. You can get it in oral form, so you're not putting smoke in your lungs. So...if this is legal in your area, look into it.

Look also in vitamin treatments, as you were using. I'd even think about seeing a naturopathic doctor. Yoga, swimming, and general exercise has also helped my father tremendously. MS is definitely helped with many of the natural treatments.

Obviously, these are my father's experiences. This is not medical fact. Talk to your doctor first before making and decisions on your regimen of treatment. Then, PM me at any time if you just need to rant.

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
pyrobrainiac Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Gracie

Re: Possible MS; Advice? - August 31st 2013, 10:41 PM

Thank you, both of you. I really appreciate the advice and support

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Re: Possible MS; Advice? - September 3rd 2013, 03:22 PM

Hi Gracie,

I am sorry to hear you are going through this.
Being diagnosed with any sort of condition at any age is really difficult and learning how to live with an autoimmune condition is not easy either. it is possible though.
i do not know anyone with MS, however I do have a relative with several autoimmune deficiencies and she is living well with the aid of medication mainly. She keeps positive and that helps her out a lot.
Another thing, definitely look into natural ways to help eleviate the pain caused by MS. There are many types of exercises you can do as well as other ways. Definitely get as much info as you can from your doctor about what is right for you and what will help you best.
Traci and adam have given you a lot of great suggestions and i hope that you have found them to be very useful.
Take care and although this may be life changing, it is not life-ending or as limiting as it may seem. There are many modern advancements in the field of medicine that really can help.
If you ever would like someone to talk to, you can send me a PM and I will be very glad to listen and help as best as I can.

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Wildflower ♥ Offline
Soakin' up the way of life
I've been here a while

Name: A Team

Re: Possible MS; Advice? - September 8th 2013, 01:22 AM

It seems like everyone has given you great feedback.
I don't know much about MS, so I apologize.
What I can say though, is that at the end of the day, the best person to go to for advice about MS and a diagnosis that will actually allow you to say you have MS is a doctor. I hope everyones feedback has helped a little though.

Send a message via AIM to Wildflower ♥ Send a message via MSN to Wildflower ♥ Send a message via Skype™ to Wildflower ♥ 
Closed Thread