TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Disabilities Living with a disability, either physical or mental, can be both challenging and life changing. For support, questions and discussions relating to disabilities, post here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Lelola Offline
I've been here a while

Claiming to be physically disabled - September 19th 2013, 08:30 PM

Does anyone else get annoyed when people you know in real life are convinced they are disabled? Especially when she is doctor shopping for disability payments? So far, 3 will not sign her paperwork.

Oh, and I have most of what she claims to have in the physical ailments and they are not disabling.

She has mental issues which may be causing her to feel that she has those physical complaints.

Oh and she trained her own service dog. She's wanted one since she was a little kid but never qualified for one through an agency so she went and picked a breed that is not traditionally a good service dog because she wanted that breed as a pet.

Not to mention recently she was in a wheelchair because supposedly she dislocated her hip/was too tired to move. Her story changed multiple times.

I am really close to telling her that real people have issues. I see people who are actually sick all the time. She does need help, but not physically. It doesn't help if you don't seek the proper help.

I am more pissed that she is trying to draw a disability check when she can work, but chooses not to. She has stated to me before she'll only work at (a video game chain store). She also is trying to train service animals. Being disabled means you cannot work, not that you don't want to.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Re: Claiming to be physically disabled - September 20th 2013, 03:17 PM

Hi,
I agree it is unfortunate and frustrating for people that do have disabilities when people that do not have these disabilities to say they do and have no proof.
Keep supporting her as best as you can, even though it may be hard, keep hoping that one of the doctors she visits will realize what is going on. It is hard for you to do something because if you tell her that you think she is just doing this to get out of working or something, she may deny what you are saying and that could ruin your friendship.
She could have a condition where psychologically she believes these things are occuring when they really are not. I am not a medical professional but there is a chance that the more doctors she visits, one of them will put things together and realize this (and know of an appropriate way to inform her and help her). I know someone with a condition such as this and she is doing a lot better now with the psychological help she has been provided to help her learn new ways to cope with stress and other things.
Hope this helps and that she gets the help she needs.

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Lelola Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Claiming to be physically disabled - September 21st 2013, 12:43 AM

Her psych doc fired her.

Like her ailments seem severe when she lists them out, but it's kind of funny when you actually know what they are or which ones she is making up.

The sad thing is that there's not much that the system can do if she won't help herself.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
in_recovery Offline
Average Joe

Name: Rachel

Re: Claiming to be physically disabled - September 30th 2013, 08:51 PM

I agree, it's really sad when those who aren't disabled try to collect on a disability check.

I'm disabled, and its because of those who are faking it that the requirements are so high.

Try to support her, like Kora said.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Lelola Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Claiming to be physically disabled - October 2nd 2013, 03:00 AM

Its hard to support her when she chooses not to work or seek the help she needs. She is convinced it is a physical issue when it is not. Although it wouldn't surprise me if she also screws around with her thyroid medication to purposely make it high.

Because of her, I honestly support service animals being classified as dogs and requiring to be licensed and registered through the federal government. She also is doing another project that is ridiculous like using a common pet that also has four legs as a service animal. (Service animal, not a therapy or emotional support animal). I'd say what animal it is but I don't want her finding out by accidnet.

Last edited by Philomath; October 2nd 2013 at 03:55 AM.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

October 2nd 2013, 03:43 AM

It could be that psychologically she thinks (so therefore she feels) as though she has something wrong when she really does not. I cannot think of the exact name for this; there are similar conditions that are like this. But I think this is what she could be going through.
I am not a medical professional so I cannot say but that is what this sounds like to me.
I just searched this could be Somatoform Disorder (when someone's pain and other symptoms are caused by psychological stress or it can be caused by Munchausen Syndrome (a disorder where physical illness is faked for attention (usually through very risky behavior or rigging of exams and other extreme measures). Obviously, I cannot say this is what she is going through but these are some of my thoughts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarasa View Post
Its hard to support her when she chooses not to work or seek the help she needs. She is convinced it is a physical issue when it is not. Although it wouldn't surprise me if she also screws around with her thyroid medication to purposely make it high.

Because of her, I honestly support service animals being classified as dogs and requiring to be licensed and registered through the federal government. She also is doing another project that is ridiculous like using a common pet that also has four legs as a service animal. (Service animal, not a therapy or emotional support animal). I'd say what animal it is but I don't want her finding out by accidnet.
Service animals can be registered and licensed in the county the person lives in although this is not a requirement. I know this because I am in the process of receiving one and once I do receive my animal in the summer after going to school, I will have to have my guide dog licensed in the county I am in for school (because I will not be allowed to have my guide dog on campus without the proof).
You can learn more about service animals [url=http://www.ada.gov/qasrvc.htm]here and if you are up to it, you can contact the ADA with your suggestions.[/url)
I understand how it can be very hard to support someone like this. The best thing you can do is to keep trying and hope that one of the doctors she visits figures out what is really happening with her so that she can get the help she needs.

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."

Last edited by Philomath; October 2nd 2013 at 04:00 AM.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Re: Claiming to be physically disabled - October 3rd 2013, 06:14 PM

Like stated above Somatoform disorders are psychological, but make you feel like you have real physical pain. She may be faking it, or she may really believe she is in pain because of a psychological doctor. I know it may seem fake or attention seeking, but she may well be telling the truth. You never know how someone truly feels until you are in their shoes. I think in this case it would be best to just let it go. Hopefully she will get the help the she needs (whether that be physical or mental) and she will heal. But, just claiming that you don’t believe her doesn’t help her and it may really hurt her feelings if she ever found out. I really don’t think that telling her that people have “real problems” will solve anything. To her, this is a real problem and belittling that could only hurt her.

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~

Closed Thread