TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Disabilities Living with a disability, either physical or mental, can be both challenging and life changing. For support, questions and discussions relating to disabilities, post here.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
AtheistProud Offline
Not a n00b

Why MUST people online correct me - September 22nd 2013, 04:25 PM

I have dysgraphia and I am dyslexia, due to this writing and reading is HARD for me. I really have a problem with words that have more than one spelling. Like "you" or "You're" or "there" and "Their". I know the the difference, I know when to use it but my mind types it the wrong way something, even if i read it my mind sees the right word not when i wrote. Now in life it can be a pain but I am working on. My issues is mostly online. i use twitter a lot and it never fails. Someone, more than one most, MUST point out to be any error in spelling or grammar i make in a tweet. I understand they don't know i have a problem but why do people jump to the conclusion that I am dumb or lazy. Wouldnt you first want to make sure the person just doesnt have a problem like i do. If I see a man at walmart in a wheelchair, my first thought isn't "he is lazy for not walking".

Why does this upset me? Cause if people online are like this, is that how they are in the real world when i am out of school and on my own? Will someone need to correct me and call me lazy and dumb for everyone little word i get wrong? On that point, WHY? I see people misuse words but I NEVER feel the need to point it out. Its like they are saying "look at me, i am better than you"

please people, think before you speak out

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Re: Why MUST people online correct me - September 22nd 2013, 06:46 PM

Hi,
This is because some people are just ignorant and do not think before they call someone a name or say something rude because of a very simplistic issue. People are not very educated about disabilities as they should be so that could be another factor.
It may help to reduce such comments if you use a spell checker and read your post over a time or two after typing it to see if it has errors. I always do this with things I type because I do not always spell things right and I want to make sure that what I am posting is correct to prevent confusing other people and things like what you have described here.

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while

Re: Why MUST people online correct me - September 22nd 2013, 09:27 PM

People on the internet can be assholes. But in real life, people ARE going to correct or judge you based on spelling and grammar. However, in situations where it really matters, such as in a job or for an interview, you would more than likely be encouraged to have someone proof read. Even in college, you have someone else proof read EVERYTHING. Even without dysgraphia and dyslexia it's really easy for a person to overlook spelling or grammar errors when it's something they wrote.

"We all have battle scars, Finn. Suck it up and build a brace for yours."

(#4 (permalink)) Old
AtheistProud Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Why MUST people online correct me - September 22nd 2013, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakorrhaphiophobia View Post
Hi,

It may help to reduce such comments if you use a spell checker and read your post over a time or two after typing it to see if it has errors.

my mind sadly does not work like this. I can read it 100000 times and not see the wrong words, even sometimes if pointed out, like "what is wrong with the second line". Also spell check doesnt really fix words like your and you're

my therapist teached me to read what i wrote backwards and that helps some

Follow me on twitter! https://twitter.com/AtheistFire

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Re: Why MUST people online correct me - September 23rd 2013, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheistProud View Post
my mind sadly does not work like this. I can read it 100000 times and not see the wrong words, even sometimes if pointed out, like "what is wrong with the second line". Also spell check doesnt really fix words like your and you're

my therapist teached me to read what i wrote backwards and that helps some

I am wondering if text-to-speech software might help. I know that some people use it to help them because they can hear what they are typing and when their writing is read back to them the software pronounces the words wrong, also navigation by character is possible so in words like "there" and "their" character navigation would be helpful because the program would tell you the letters. Just a thought. I use this software because I cannot see the computer but I do not see why it could not help people who have Disgraphia or Dyslexia.

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."

(#6 (permalink)) Old
AtheistProud Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Why MUST people online correct me - September 23rd 2013, 12:59 AM

i use it time to time and it really helps, really helps if its a word my mind cant get worked out. i just say the world. i love it. my mind is so dumb. i know friends is F R I E N D S but my mind loves to type F R I E N D S and i cant see it

Follow me on twitter! https://twitter.com/AtheistFire

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Re: Why MUST people online correct me - September 23rd 2013, 01:37 AM

Your mind is not dumb: you just process the letters differently. It is like anyone else who cannot process things the same as other people. There is nothing wrong with this, or dumb about it, it just requires some adapting and modifying of how things are done.
For example, I do not process things the same way as a lot of people in the world either. I cannot see, so I use text-to-speech software to read things on the computer. I also use a Braille display. This does not make me dumb, it makes me different and in need of other ways to do things.
This is not something that you have to be ashamed of or afraid that it will limit your future or something. This is something that can be dealt with.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
eckky Offline
Average Joe

Name: Alec

Re: Why MUST people online correct me - September 24th 2013, 01:04 PM

I know exactly how you feel in dyslexic and "grammer nazis" as I call them (in sorry if that's offensive to anyone) buttalking to someone who constantly correct you. I mean its just a word if they knew what you meant why correct you? I don't get its just annoying for people to correct you even over the internet

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Why MUST people online correct me - September 26th 2013, 02:07 AM

I think people judge to quickly, especially on places like Facebook and Twitter... Like its social media, who gives a flying fart in space if someone spelled something wrong there.

Some people like me might notice a mistake and be like "lol you spell it "you're by the way..." and then carry on with a comment, and it's not me being mean or judgey or really even caring, it's just that if I notice a grammar thing like that it'll bug me if I don't mention it, and most times I only mention it in a PM cause I see it sort of rude to point out mistakes to everyone, I'm really not that uptight. So I don't think it's always a harsh thing, sometimes people just mention it (like I sometimes do) cause it just sticks out?? But it depends on the context, like I see some people mentioning it at times where they should really let it go, know what I mean... Like I said, things like Facebook and Twitter you can't reasonably correct every last little thing you see on there or you'd spend all day doing that and everyone would want to smack you, it's not like your writing a paper for school or a resume or something where it actually matters, and most times people don't even go on to nit pick, it's just the odd mistake really sticks out OR some people decide to behave like jackasses and take it as a "god, learn how to spell" sort of thing as if the person is just being lazy or what ever which is unreasonable. I hate it when you get like lots of people correcting a status...

So yeah, I don't think it's always a bad thing. But I'd just set them straight and be like "dude, this is facebook, stop nit picking"!!! As long as you can manage your grammar and spelling for things where it counts (resumes and academic papers)!!! I'd defs look into having people edit and such if need be. And tell them not to do "look at this area cause there is a mistake there", let them know that you genuinely won't get it if they aren't super specific about what ever mistake you made.

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Most Likely Offline
Avete vos
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: -

Re: Why MUST people online correct me - September 26th 2013, 06:32 PM

Depends. If somebody is talking normally and he/she just made a mistake, it's okay, everybody makes them sometimes. But if you're insulting somebody, if you're trolling, at least make it interesting and gramatically correct. Cause if you don't you'll make everybody else troll you to the ground. If you can't speak some language well enough, don't use it at all.

That's my opinion.
  Send a message via Skype™ to Most Likely 
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Re: Why MUST people online correct me - September 26th 2013, 07:18 PM

I also have dyslexia, so I know what you mean when you say that you can make a mistake and not see it, even when you proof read. This is why I type everything into a word document and copy and paste it over. It catches most errors that I make. Programs like Word will help catch “your and you’re” issues as well. It won’t catch everything, but its way better than if I wrote it freehand without a spell check.

I also noticed, and this isn’t to be mean, but I am saying this to be helpful: you don’t capitalize the letter I or sometimes you miss putting in punctuation. Those things are easy fixes that will make your sentences appear much more professional.

Trust me I am the worst at spelling and grammar. But using a word program, making sure you are taking the time to capitalize the correct words and end all of your sentences with punctuation will dramatically improve your typing.

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Fading Light. Offline
A glitch in the system.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: Why MUST people online correct me - September 28th 2013, 12:29 PM

Hey.

I'm going to answer this from the perspective of someone who often makes such corrections, and, honestly, it hadn't occurred to me that it could get to someone this much. When I do it, it's not because I think I'm better than someone, or I'm judging them, or anything like that. I'm not trying to be mean; I just pick up on a mistake, and I point it out, because it bothers me if I don't. And what if my correction helps someone learn to spell something, or learn the difference between there and their?

In most cases I'd imagine mistakes like that aren't due to actual conditions, but just because people have never bothered to learn correct spelling/grammar (or have since forgotten). So maybe it doesn't always occur to people making the corrections (for example, me) that someone might be trying their hardest to get it right, but something (like dyslexia or dysgraphia) prevents them from doing so. I don't automatically assume people are dumb or lazy if they spell things wrong or their grammar isn't perfect; I just figure they don't know or don't remember the right thing. I have a habit of writing the wrong thing, actually; especially when writing essays and such, I often think one thing and write entirely another (sometimes just a similar sounding word, sometimes something I hear in the background, somethings even the actual antonym), and if I were to do that, even in something like a Facebook post or something like that, I'd actually be okay with someone correcting me.

The thing is, there's always going to be people with imperfect grammar or spelling, regardless of whether or not they have an underlying condition. And as sure as that, there's always going to be people who are annoyed by that, and seek to correct them. And there will be people who get annoyed by those, and the cycle goes on. I think the best thing you can do is try not to let it get to you, remember that not everyone is like that, and know that it doesn't mean you're any less worthwhile as a person.

I'm not sure if this made sense, and I'm no way trying to invalidate your annoyance; I'm just giving you an idea of what it's like on the 'other side', so to speak. I hope this helped a bit.

if you know the hunter's coming
then you hide or keep on running
'cause she's slain the gods before.

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#13 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière
I can't get enough

Name: Sarah

Re: Why MUST people online correct me - September 28th 2013, 08:00 PM

I'm someone who suffers OCD, one of the things I do because of my OCD is have the need for correct spelling and grammar. The worst part is that I also have terrible spelling and grammar. I get frustrated when I see people mix their and there or you're and your or lose and loose. I don't physically start trying to correct people because I for one hate being corrected, given that my spelling can be atrocious at times, typed and hand-written. However, because of my OCD, I have the obsession with perfect spelling and grammar and the compulsion to make sure it's perfect or I can't leave it be.

So putting this from my perspective, people who correct you may not be doing it because they think you're dumb or can't spell, it may be like me, they have a condition such as OCD which causes them to do it otherwise they can't progress on with their day.

I know it's unsettling and it's very irritating. I've had people do it to me too and sometimes I can get into such a fit of rage because I try so hard to be word-perfect. But you know what? Those people correcting you aren't going to be any better. They're going to have down days where they can't spell for toffee. You have a specific freason for your bad spelling and being honest here, your spelling and grammar is actually very good. I understand that it must annoy you when people correct you but they do it because they don't understand you and some people have a compulsion to pick at those who spell things incorrectly for reasons known to themselves. he important thing is that you know you're trying your best and that is what should matter the most.

Life is for living, not for losing.

(#14 (permalink)) Old
in_recovery Offline
Average Joe

Name: Rachel

Re: Why MUST people online correct me - September 30th 2013, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakorrhaphiophobia View Post
Your mind is not dumb: you just process the letters differently. It is like anyone else who cannot process things the same as other people. There is nothing wrong with this, or dumb about it, it just requires some adapting and modifying of how things are done.
For example, I do not process things the same way as a lot of people in the world either. I cannot see, so I use text-to-speech software to read things on the computer. I also use a Braille display. This does not make me dumb, it makes me different and in need of other ways to do things.
This is not something that you have to be ashamed of or afraid that it will limit your future or something. This is something that can be dealt with.

This is so true!!

Is there a way you can say it out loud before you post it online? sometimes, I find that helps me when I'm posting something.

Like Kakorrhaphiophobia, I'm visually impaired, so I have to adapt and do things differently then the sighted world do them. I use a screen reader, and large text when my eyes don't bother me. even with the large text, I get letters confused because I can't make them out and therefore, I have to use a text to speech software like Jaws or NVDA.

I often make spelling mistakes and don't realize it until it's read back to me from my phone which has voice over or my computer by my screen reader.

I hope I helped in some way,

Feel free to PM me.

Last edited by in_recovery; September 30th 2013 at 02:16 PM. Reason: Typing error, found after my screen reader read it back to me

Closed Thread